1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are Felons Allowed to Practice Law?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by jpeirpont, Oct 1, 2009.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

If they have their criminal record cleared?

2. Joe Cool

Joe Cool Well-Known Member

This is a trick question, no?

3. theincumbent

theincumbent Well-Known Member

Depends on the State, and is usually not a matter of having the conviction "cleared."

The admission to the Bar of a state is governed by that particular Board of Bar Examiners with each
    state having certain requirements for Character and Fitness. The easy answer to your question is "maybe," depending upon the severity of the conviction.

A common conviction in law school that did not prevent bar admission (in most cases) was DUI.

Thinking of taking the jump; going to law school?

4. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Well-Known Member

5. Pelikan2

Pelikan2 Well-Known Member

You can be a lawyer and have a felony conviction on your record (cleared or not). As was said, bar fitness standards differ by state, but they're all fairly complex and/or flexible. It matters how recent the conviction was and whether it evinces dishonesty. For instance, you're probably always going to be found unfit if you have a felony conviction for fraud.

6. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

no sins of moral turpitude...[​IMG]

7. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

If criminals couldn't practice law, we'd have no lawyers.

(awaiting odoreater F.U.!!!!!)

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Wasn't there a white supremist, with a clean criminal record, banned from taking the bar in Ohio a few years ago?

9. Flieger

Flieger Well-Known Member

I feel like I need to weigh in here..

10. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

I feel like I need to weigh in here..

As a convicted felon presently practicing law?

11. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

If criminals couldn't practice law, we'd have no lawyers.

(awaiting odoreater F.U.!!!!!)

Lol. Actually, I know you meant this in jest, but in most states, a criminal conviction will probably disqualify you from being admitted, especially if it was recent. At the very least it will result in further investigation rather than your application just being rubber stamped by the character and fitness committee.

Remember, lawyers often have millions of dollars of other people's money in their trust accounts, so, maintaining the public's trust is very important.

12. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

what offensive will result in you losing your legal license?

13. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

what offensive will result in you losing your legal license?

The quickest way to lose your license is to commingle personal funds with trust funds. That's a pretty much guaranteed disbarment.

14. Teger

Teger Well-Known Member

The quickest way to lose your license is to commingle personal funds with trust funds. That's a pretty much guaranteed disbarment.

this is a bizarre question, but how about non fraud related felonies that do not result in jail time? things like a DUI?

15. rnoldh

rnoldh Well-Known Member

no sins of moral turpitude...[​IMG]

+1

Bill C. surrendered his law license in Arkansas.

Not because of perjury or being impeached but because getting a BJ from Monica L. was a crime against nature.

16. DNW

DNW Well-Known Member

this is a bizarre question, but how about non fraud related felonies that do not result in jail time? things like a DUI?

A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

17. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Well-Known Member

A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

I have seen this claimed elsewhere. If you have beat out film editors, that is impressive / horrifying.

18. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Can felons practice law? Sure, until they get caught.

I'm sure somebody beat me to this one.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Nurses. Oh man, between booze and drugs? Think about that.

20. Benzito

Benzito Well-Known Member

Three relevant (and real) cases:

1. Peer of mine in law school was formerly imprisoned for either being a drug dealer or merely a money launderer for a drug dealer. Served two years or so and paid a huge fine, got a CPA license, cleaned up his shit and passed the bar. They denied him twice, but he ultimately got his ticket after several employers and other professionals vouched for him turning his life around.

2. There is a current attorney in my jurisdiction who was caught jerking it in a mall parking lot while (allegedly) following around young women. Got a public reprimand (in the bar journal, no less), but still in practice.

3. NYT reported a fella who passed the recent bar, but was denied admission b/c he owed too much in student loans. WTF??? How is he supposed to pay back the money without a lawyer job?