1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are button collars out-of-style?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dieselman89, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Bowtiedlad93

Bowtiedlad93 Well-Known Member

Not exactly, I see them as more of a casual shirt, I mostly wear them when I am not going to have on a tie or with a sweater vest or something.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. mack11211

mack11211 Well-Known Member

Not exactly what?

And are you stating general guidelines or simply relaying your own personal taste?

3. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Well-Known Member

Well, he said: "...I see them as more of a casual shirt, I mostly wear them when I am not going to..." so my guess would be that he was stating his own point of view. :D

4. Agatha Crusty

Agatha Crusty Well-Known Member

It's absolutely not like saying patent leather shoes look "plasticky", but it is analogous to a person who knows patent leather shoes are made of leather, and they are favoured by some other people, but who still decides they are not for him. Patent leather shoes are part of the general classic wardrobe, but they are not a universal standard.

And you made a real pejorative effort choosing your words to describe me merely as the author of: "a bunch of posts complaining that the supermarket should compensate you for a ripped shirt." They were not complaints, it was a legitimate situation. And even on that a large number of people decided I must be wrong, or merely a complainer because it didn't accord with their notions about how life ought to be lived "by a real man". Well fuck them.

Credentials? Who on earth here has credentials making them the last word in universal taste and style? I don't, and neither do you. I merely stated my preferences and why I have them concerning button-down collars.

5. t2russo

t2russo Active Member

West Coast college boy here. All button down, all day every day.

1 person likes this.
  6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

West Coast? Good God ... the 'prep' look has spread everywherre ... even beyond the land of real prep schools.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

+1 That is a lot of 'first person' there.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

You make a good point. If I think I wanted a "softer," slightly more casual and accessible look while wearing a business suit, I wouldn't start out with something like Huntsman or Brioni. Since I can't afford Huntsman or Brioni, this is immaterial to me. Since I retired, I am down to only five suits, and two of those are very casual in styling. I'd like get a few more, but the paucity of occasions for wearing a suit makes it very hard to justify the expenditure.

9. dieselman89

dieselman89 Well-Known Member

I think they can look good with a pair of jeans or khakis. But like others have said, I would not recommend wearing them with a suit and tie. It would also be weird to wear them with dress pants.

10. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

+1