1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Are Americans the Only Ones into Bad Style?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by TyCooN, Jun 18, 2011.

1. guest

guest Well-Known Member

i buy a shitload of champion and russell athletic dry fit shirts. and cologne. that's bout it nowadays. when i was a teen i bought everything ralph lauren. rrl, polo. abercrombie wasn't in the marshalls stuff so i couldn't afford them. i also bought a lot of banana republic for shoes. hmm... come to think of it i liked giorgio armani more but only had a few pieces.

2. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

3. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

Yes because grand opening weeks count? There was a line for almost a month when a Sonic opened down the street. A new Chipotle had long ass lines for days. If you were to talk about lines then it would be Hollister on 5th if anything. I remember walking by at 2pm or something and there was a line out the store.

4. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Well-Known Member

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your shitty sense of nationalism.
    I have no sense of nationalism, I just don't like it when people hate America for no reason (or bad reasons). There are plenty of reasons for people to hate where you're from I'm sure.

5. pickpackpockpuck

pickpackpockpuck Well-Known Member

Jeez, a little touchy, no? I guess I didn't know there were rules regarding what "counts," but in any case that line was outside of Topman every day on the weekends and some weekdays for at least a month, if not longer. If that counts then great, if not then you can happily win the argument. Still seemed unusual to me. By contrast, there have been no lines to get into that women's store Aritzia that just opened. And yes, the lines outside Hollister were crazy, too. Clogged up the sidewalk all the way around the corner onto Houston. [​IMG] Another store I don't get.

6. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Bad Style requires no passport.

7. LUBE UP

LUBE UP Active Member

I was in Paris a month ago and there was a 'holy shit' moment when I realised that long line was for A&F. Having been to London and NYC among other places in the past couple of years I'm pretty sure Parisians have the best sense of aesthetics in the world, and they seemed pretty immune to fashion trends. This will pass, hopefully.

8. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike America, get over your shitty sense of nationalism.

Have you ever actually been to the US?

9. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Have you ever actually been to the US?

Multiple times, including living there for a year.

10. rdstour

rdstour Well-Known Member

What people don't realize is that Tommy Hilfiger Europe, for the longest time, was owned/run by a completely different management company. Whereas the one in the United States went through the whole streetwear and lost its preppy roots, Tommy Hilfiger Europe and those that ran it marketed it as the ultimate classic upscale American sportswear company. That's why when you look at the items in Europe, they're much more Ralph Lauren/JCrew esque. Recently I heard that the European brand bought out the American brand and they're trying to merge them together.

If you went into their stores vs the stuff you'd find at Macy's, the difference is night and day. Same for the prices lol

11. KitAkira

KitAkira Well-Known Member

I love how 'invading' USA brands piss people off. Is it actually about fashion, or is it people who just dislike America in addition to American fashion? =)
    Because when someone says "American fashion" this is what they jump to. Also, most of the posters in this thread are American or at the very least North American
    (Just for the record I have no problems with people from Europe personally or politically... just the ones that hate America for being America)
    And obviously this isn't the case/norm given that the article clearly shows that these idiots eat this shit up
    The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers. Most american men don't care about being stylish, they just want to be comfortable. I personally only wear sneakers when I am either at the gym or running, but when it comes to comfort, I prefer my New Balance running shoes over any of my more expensive and better looking shoes.
    This is bullshit, buy better shoes I don't get why this is shocking to anyone though. Everyone knows the Japanese attitude to A&F/Hollister (Ala Moana shopping center [​IMG]). Same thing, different ocean.

12. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

The problem is that other shoes are simply much less comfortable than sneakers.
    Agreed ... this is total BS.

13. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

Multiple times, including living there for a year.

And you've still got a closed-minded view about the country?

14. Desi

Desi Well-Known Member

This is how we get into wars. Giving a fuck.

Think I give a fuck that thefashionspot hasn't started a John Varvatos S/S12 thread? No, this is not a time for wars.

P.S. I doubt Uncontrol hates the U.S.

15. Abraxis

Abraxis Well-Known Member

What uncontrol didn't say and shouldn't need to is that there are plenty of legitimate reasons to dislike any country... in fact apply that to any thing period. But why not focus more on things you like?

16. austinite

austinite Well-Known Member

This is bullshit, buy better shoes

So presumably you are comparing $400 dress shoes to $55 running shoes? I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds. They may not be the absolute nicest shoes around, and perhaps you have better ones, but I generally like my shoes. I'd still easily prefer my New Balance running shoes if the only thing that matters is comfort. I think if your argument is "my shoes aren't nice enough" you are kind of missing the point and are likely severely detached from the average person.

17. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

And you've still got a closed-minded view about the country?

There are more things about the current state of America as a nation that I dislike rather than like. That's not to say it's the worst country in the world or that there aren't things I like about it (and I certainly like a lot of individuals that are American, although those people tend to be pretty unhappy with America as well). You say I'm close-minded simply because you and I don't share the same viewpoint.

18. Amelorn

Amelorn Well-Known Member

So presumably you are comparing $400 dress shoes to $55 running shoes? I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds. They may not be the absolute nicest shoes around, and perhaps you have better ones, but I generally like my shoes. I'd still easily prefer my New Balance running shoes if the only thing that matters is comfort. I think if your argument is "my shoes aren't nice enough" you are kind of missing the point and are likely severely detached from the average person.

The average person (circa 100 IQ) is part of an ignorant demographic conglomerate. They're comparing their "baller" 3 figure sneakers against the cheapest, black, square toed shoes from Payless ShoeSource. Not fair. Once you start buying leather upper and leather soled shoes, (circa $85 and up), shoes suddenly start becoming much more comfortable.

19. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

The average person (circa 100 IQ) is part of an ignorant demographic conglomerate. They're comparing their "baller" 3 figure sneakers against the cheapest, black, square toed shoes from Payless ShoeSource. Not fair. Once you start buying leather upper and leather soled shoes, (circa $85 and up), shoes suddenly start becoming much more comfortable.
    Nice strawman. This is the most hilariously disingenuous groupspeak on SF. My EGs are more comfortable than some terribad junk from Macy's, but my Adidas basketball shoes ($130) are *much* more comfortable than either of those. Seriously guys. Fine shoes are not more comfortable than athletic shoes. Suits are not more comfortable than t-shirts and hoodies. Leave that MC shit in MC.

20. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

I don't get the RL bashing in this thread.