1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

appropriate winter coat for a young adult

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ruben, Dec 1, 2006.

1. XFactor

XFactor Well-Known Member

I am thinking the same thing. What would be a good one that works well with a Suit for work day and also with a Dark Jeans on a night out?

2. jhwendland

jhwendland Well-Known Member

Jesus : Lazarus :: XFactor : This Thread

3. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

I live in a place that gets really cold (-40C) and I find anything with an open chest like a top coat goes back in the closet at -10. Pea coats are great but they provide no leg protection and can get soaked with snow when brushing off your car or walking.

I got my first duffel coat this year (thrifted so it was only $17) and I love it. Warm up on the chest, covers a jacket and keeps my legs dry.

For the record mine is Gloverall which are about 300 GBP new IIRC but I have thrifted 2 in the last month.

4. Dave510

Dave510 Member

You resurrected an almost 7 year old thread. You are a true necromancer.

5. XFactor

XFactor Well-Known Member

Where from did you thrift them? And how? Any tips/ tactics/ things to keep in mind/ look for for a newbie?

6. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

lol nice

7. linkebinges

linkebinges New Member

I'm going to try to get a shearling coat this winter so I can upgrade my casual style a bit. I already have a pea coat but don't want to be wearing just it all the time.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  8. AFCForever

AFCForever Active Member

A variety of places (in Ottawa, Canada). The Goodwill on Merivale in Ottawa is good as it is huge. In both cases I found them in the women's coats as the people at store don't know what a duffel coat is.

I am finding now is actually a good time to thrift winter coats - I suspect they take up enough storage to be an easy decision as surplus, especially if you downsize.