1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apple f***ing sucks

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Douglas, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

after I used the term "PC" many times to describe Windows based computers...you said...

By the way, Macintosh computers ARE PC's. I wish people would get this straight. Are you talking about Windows users? Linux? Who precisely do you mean, when you say "PC users"? Everyone on this forum is a PC user.

then you went on to say that the correct term was "Non Apple Computer" user.

You missed the point of my correction. As usual, you fail to "get" anything. I can only assume that it's on purpose.

You cannot just say PC's do X or PC's are bad, or every PC I've ever owned is a piece of shit, and then turn around and say that Macs are great. The Mac is a PC.

See, this is the main fallacy in the Mac vs. PC argument. There are hundreds of PC manufacturers. Apple is not criticizing "PC's" It is criticizing Windows. Windows is an operating system. Not a computer. It creates a false perspective with which people view Macs. Not understanding this is ignorance, and it's ignorance supported and propagated by Mac themselves, and those that regurgitate Mac slogans.

then when other "Non Apple Computer" users repeatedly use the term "PC" in the same thread to describe the same thing I was describing, it is OK? I guess not, since I am a Mac user and brainwashed by all the marketing hype [​IMG]

2. Viktri

Viktri Well-Known Member

You missed the point of my correction. As usual, you fail to "get" anything. I can only assume that it's on purpose.

You cannot just say PC's do X or PC's are bad, or every PC I've ever owned is a piece of shit, and then turn around and say that Macs are great. The Mac is a PC.

See, this is the main fallacy in the Mac vs. PC argument. There are hundreds of PC manufacturers. Apple is not criticizing "PC's" It is criticizing Windows. It decided to create a separation between other PC's and itself by creating a division between themselves and other manufacturers to create a false sense of value. Windows is an operating system. Not a computer. It creates a false perspective with which people view Macs. Not understanding this is ignorance, and it's ignorance supported and propagated by Mac themselves, and those that regurgitate Mac slogans.

Something went wrong with my reply.

I was going to point out that the confusion stems from Mac's terminology. On the Apple homepage it's "Why your next PC should be a Mac" but in the commercials they say "PC versus Mac" when it should be "Windows VS Mac" because Mac is technically a PC per Apple.

3. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

then you went on to say that the correct term was "Non Apple Computer" user.
    No I didn't. Making shit up? Awesome debating technique.
    You use a PC. I use a PC. Everyone posting here uses a PC. I said that before and I'll say it again. We are all PC users. I even asked if you meant to say Windows users, or Linux users or what. You never answered me, because you'd rather argue and be a dick.

4. Tokyo Slim

Something went wrong with my reply.

I was going to point out that the confusion stems from Mac's terminology. On the Apple homepage it's "Why your next PC should be a Mac" but in the commercials they say "PC versus Mac" when it should be "Windows VS Mac" because Mac is technically a PC per Apple.

I completely agree.

5. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree you are right, but when most people use the term "PC" these days, they are referring to non-Apple computers. That`s just the way the term is used...even by Non Apple Computer users, as seen in this thread. So for you to specific call me out on using the term "PC" in that way, and say I am "ignorant" for using the term is off base.

See, you even use the term "PC" yourself to describe non Apple computers.

You raise a good point about the operating systems, etc., but that`s marketing...everyone does it. Apple sells most of their stuff in a package...some people buy...that`s it. I would not go as far as saying they are deceiving people or selling a false sense of security though. They are just playing on their strengths to sell more of their products, as any company should.

6. Tokyo Slim

See, you even use the term "PC" yourself to describe non Apple computers.
    [​IMG] YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS?!?!? Non-Apple computers ARE PC's. Apple Computers ARE PC's. PC MEANS PERSONAL COMPUTER. Get it through your head. Come back when you learn to read and comprehend, because every time you post something, you fail. English is your native language isn't it? I'm just wondering, because you seem to have difficulty grasping it.

7. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS?!?!?

Non-Apple computers ARE PC's. Apple Computers ARE PC's. PC MEANS PERSONAL COMPUTER. Get it through your head.

Come back when you learn to read and comprehend, because every time you post something, you fail. English is your native language isn't it? I'm just wondering, because you seem to have difficulty grasping it.

FAIL...read your own posts.

When I used the term "PC" to describe Non Apples, you called me ignorant for using the term that way. You do the same thing yourself, then further insult my language skills.

If you`re going to criticize someone, and repeatedly call them ignorant (because you are smart?) you should try not do the same thing you are trying to criticize.

8. whymakemedothis

whymakemedothis Well-Known Member

the term "PC" (not the abbreviation) came from the original IBM-PC and its clones ("IBM PC Compatible") and has always been popularly used to describe non-Apple personal computers

9. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

FAIL...read your own posts.

When I used the term "PC" to describe Non Apples, you called me ignorant for using the term that way. You do the same thing yourself, then further insult my language skills.

If you`re going to criticize someone, and repeatedly call them ignorant (because you are smart?) you should try not do the same thing you are trying to criticize.

I wonder what's worse. Being an ass or being a 'shill'. There are only losers here, me the most for actually reading this threak.

By the way, Dragon, You're wrong. He didn't use PC in the non-apple way in the part you quoted. (He used it once thus to quote the fallacy and once thus using "". That makes all the difference I'm afraid) Perhaps he did elsewhere, and I'd be happy to help you decide after you quote it...

10. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Imagine this thread in a different context:

- Band of Outsiders fucking sucks!! The button fell off my shirt and I can't get it back on!

- LOL I know you shouldnt have bought that shit rofl

- Hey I have some band of outsiders shirts and they're holding up well, the one with the button fell off was fixed promptly by good service

- FFFUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu - you fucking stupid BOO evangelists and your cultist bullshit! Im sick of you assholes trying to sell your shit on everyone you ever talk to! 6 more pages!

11. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

^
    LOL

I do wish we could get a good OS-based database programme. The only option at the moment is to run Access in Windows, which is awkward.

Oh FWIW, and as far as employers go, Apple are very good. A lot better than Dell, down the road - though not as good as Google (I have heard - though never worked for Google).

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If anything it`s the PC users that sound more like "evangelists" and "elitists." Just read this thread.
    I may agree with you now. Apple has reached the saturation point and is now falling out of favor, I believe Google is too. People are looking for the new fad. Apple is OK but people also realize PC's are OK, and $1,000 less.

I personally feel that Apple was in a position to open up home computer use, and with it the Internet, almost 10 years before Microsoft and screwed it up by making all of the hardware proprietary and thus expensive. Proprietary hardware does have advantages though.

I am not so much pro-PC and Microsoft as I am anti-empty headed hipster fanboyism.

YMMV

13. Dedalus

Dedalus Well-Known Member

There must be an inverse relationship to how much sex you get and how much you care about changing people's mind about what computers they use.
    I felt that this gem was glossed over and underappreciated amidst the nerd rage.

14. Dragon

Dragon Well-Known Member

I wonder what's worse. Being an ass or being a 'shill'. There are only losers here, me the most for actually reading this threak.

By the way, Dragon, You're wrong. He didn't use PC in the non-apple way in the part you quoted. (He used it once thus to quote the fallacy and once thus using "". That makes all the difference I'm afraid) Perhaps he did elsewhere, and I'd be happy to help you decide after you quote it...

You may be right. Either way, there was no reason to call me ignorant by using "PC" describing non-Apples, as he (maybe not) and other members are using the term the same way I use it, even in this thread. I am ignorant because I am now use Mac, and "PC" users can use the term to describe non-Apples without being ignorant? That doesn`t make sense.

I may agree with you now. Apple has reached the saturation point and is now falling out of favor, I believe Google is too. People are looking for the new fad. Apple is OK but people also realize PC's are OK, and $1,000 less.

I personally feel that Apple was in a position to open up home computer use, and with it the Internet, almost 10 years before Microsoft and screwed it up by making all of the hardware proprietary and thus expensive. Proprietary hardware does have advantages though.

I am not so much pro-PC and Microsoft as I am anti-empty headed hipster fanboyism.

YMMV

I agree with most of your post, but disagree about the pricing part. The main criticism in this thread is the regurgitation of Apple propaganda, yet it is OK to say things like "PCs" are $1,000 less. That is pretty much Anti-Mac propaganda, as comparable "PCs" and Macs are not that far apart in price. I am not saying Apple provides good value products though [​IMG]

15. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I hate to break up the love-fest between TS and Dragon, but I will.

First things first - I owe a HUGE thank you to JustinW, who spent at least an hour with me on chat the other night trying to help me get to the bottom of things. His willingness to take time out of his day to help a stranger is really extraordinary and is one of the greatest things about the StyleForum - it is a place with some of the classiest people I know, even if I have never met them face-to-face.

Update: I don't know if Facebook addressed their issues, or whether by some dumb coincidence of luck when I started iPhoto it didn't right away try to sync w/FB, but I was able to quickly get in before it did and delete my Facebook album from within iPhoto. So whether or not the issue really was fixed, I was able to kill the source of the problem and I know not to try to use that functionality again. Perhaps Apple should consider stopping advertising that particular feature until they are certain they have it right.

Update 2: The iTunes login was due to EPIC USER FAIL. I, um, forgot my username. Justin tried to convince me of this the other day and I refused to believe it was possible, but I sent an e-mail in to customer service and they responded within 24 hours, politely reminding me of my proper username. I have 2, apparently, one created thru MobileMe that wasn't the same as my old iTunes-only one. So, yeah, my huge f***ing bad. Apple f***ing sucks but Douglas f***ing sucks also.

Update 3: I did use the new Mac to do some scanning of old photos yesterday with an HP all-in-one scanner, and within 5 minutes I was making perfect scans very quickly and easily. The scanner plugged-and-played like a dream, and the Apple image importer (can't remember the name of the app) was highly intelligent, picking up that I had 3 or 4 photos on the flatbed at once, and writing them directly to iPhoto as separate files with virtually no effort required from me. It was something that worked really, really, really well, and is the sort of thing I expected to encounter when I decided to make the switch.

I still have to get to the bottom of how to sync things properly, but I'm feeling considerably better today than I was when I wrote my rant.

FWIW - I am not, and never have been, a fanboy on either side. I certainly understand the problems and limitations of PCs and PC software, but I have worked with them (and continue to work with them) on a daily basis and though they can be frustrating, they generally work. My biggest Apple peeve is that they have built a culture of worship whereby Apple devotees refuse to admit that Apples have any problems at all. Both platforms are fallible, I think even equally fallible, but Apple has a smugness about addressing their issues, and at times a flat denial that there are issues, that can be infuriating. (Example - the Apple screen issues that have completely screwed a lot of people - a good friend of mine has an iMac where half the screen lines are missing and Apple denies there is a problem.) It is largely what fueled my rant the other night.

16. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

17. JustinW

JustinW Well-Known Member

That's great news, Douglas! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Tokyo Slim

I was not calling you ignorant until you started acting ignorant.
    Like this ^ Poor you. Boo hoo. The only people in this thread to refer to "Windows" as a "PC" are Mac users. (or people who would buy a Mac Vaio?) Of course, MS is not helping anything with their stupid ads either. It was a mistake, IMO.

19. Tokyo Slim

Glad you and Justin got it all worked out Douglas.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Justin for not only taking the time to help Douglas out with his problem, but to refrain from the seemingly overwhelming desire to act like a complete and utter Mactard. Quite decent of you. You have my respect, whatever that's worth.

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I agree with most of your post, but disagree about the pricing part. The main criticism in this thread is the regurgitation of Apple propaganda, yet it is OK to say things like "PCs" are $1,000 less. That is pretty much Anti-Mac propaganda, as comparable "PCs" and Macs are not that far apart in price. I am not saying Apple provides good value products though [​IMG]
    I usually find MAC's to be more expensive. On the Windows side I like that I can build my own PC out of quality parts for cheap if I wish. On the MAC side I like that even though it costs more I do not have to do that since Apple is not competing with itself and sources quality parts in general.

Microsoft gets blamed for a lot of crap that is not their fault. Cheap, crappy memory, bad drivers, cheap motherboards. Both have their place. I personally love Photoshop and even though I know MAC's to be better at this I would rather build an uber PC because I am cheap and like bang for the buck. Also I have a LOT more experience with Microsoft. [​IMG]

I used to go to the Linux Users Group and it was really cool but I never really used Linux for my main box. They also were catty and hated MS.