• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

APC price increase??

aphextwin07

Reaction score
it's quite funny that people are bickering over a $10-20 price increase

C-Note

Reaction score
It's probably not so much that it's just $10 but because people sense a trend that the price will continue increasing until it gets to a point where it's priced as a mid-ranged denim option instead of an entry-level option while its quality doesn't match those of other mid-ranged denim options (and considering a few posts, that might have already happened). But I'm not saying I'm for or against the increase necessarily, I don't own APCs and don't really plan on buying any so it doesn't really affect me.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by randomkoreandude
a. been around a long time so have name recognition
b. raw denim has gained IMMENSE popularity in recent years but most people only know of APC & nudies AT FIRST
c. readily available in comparison to alternatives
d. a lot of peeps first venture into raw were apc's so they are widely referred

once youve handled raws and start getting to know other players in market, thats when people move away from apc and go for other brands but some people lvoe the fit and keep getting it. to each his own, but there are at least now other options where arguably there werent a few years back. regardless apc has a firm hold on entry level

Originally Posted by octopandda
But this is solely based on your perception of what makes a good pair of jeans, a perception that, I assume, mostly results from what you read online. I wouldn't say raw denim has gained an "immense" popularity, I still think it's a trend. I agree with the name recognition, and I think this is why APC is so successful, especially because of their image. They don't do that silly americana thing, they don't try to be repro, they don't overdesign their jeans and they don't use fancy denims. The way I see it, they offer a very simple product that has been well defined, something many people can understand. Just like people go back to Levi's because Levi's started something, people will go back to APC because APC started something as well.

Again, I'm asking you to name those other options that are equally simple, accessible and look good. Not something that will only cater to the US market (because believe it or not, out of the US and maybe Japan, the "made in USA" label doesn't have that much value) but something that can potentially be worn and enjoyed by anybody who wants to look a little cooler. Acne might be a good alternative in terms of cuts and image, but their prices are plain silly.

I have handled a few different denims, I have too many pairs of jeans like many here, mostly Japanese, and I can tell you that if I ever buy another pair, it will be from APC. After a while, you (I at least) get tired of exotic extra fancy pants that don't quite fit right, and you want to get back to something simple. I guess that's why APC offer a pair of jeans called "standard". Like you said, people move away from APC, but more importantly, people also come back to APC.

Two good posts.

I'll only add myself to the list of people with 'higher end' Japanese denim, BUT who will always have room in the closet for another pair of APC Rescues.

Maybe I'm a bit of an anomaly, but my next denim purchases will probably be Fullcount, Warehouse, ONI, AND..... another pair of Nudie RRDS. Shameful I know...

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One thing with APC that doesn't apply to most denim makers is that APC is a full-on design house, with all the baggage that comes with it.

Normal price increases aside ($10 doesn't strike me as anything out of the ordinary), I suspect the denim is subsidizing a lot of the company. They did a brilliant job with the jeans and are reaping the rewards.

If the price gets too high consumers will vote with their feet.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're all very cute with your "better alternatives" but I'm still waiting for someone to actually make a better New Standard. There must be a reason why APC jeans are still so popular and I doubt their price is the main reason.

You already know this, but for those who don't, it's because a lot of people really like how APC fits on them. As someone with a bigger frame, though, APCs don't fit me that well. Most of their cuts are too slim, too tapered, too low-rise, or some combination of the three for my taste. The Rescue does fit me pretty well, but not any better than repro cuts or more modern cuts by repro brands do.

But this is solely based on your perception of what makes a good pair of jeans, a perception that, I assume, mostly results from what you read online. I wouldn't say raw denim has gained an "immense" popularity, I still think it's a trend. I agree with the name recognition, and I think this is why APC is so successful, especially because of their image. They don't do that silly americana thing, they don't try to be repro, they don't overdesign their jeans and they don't use fancy denims. The way I see it, they offer a very simple product that has been well defined, something many people can understand. Just like people go back to Levi's because Levi's started something, people will go back to APC because APC started something as well.

Again, I'm asking you to name those other options that are equally simple, accessible and look good. Not something that will only cater to the US market (because believe it or not, out of the US and maybe Japan, the "made in USA" label doesn't have that much value) but something that can potentially be worn and enjoyed by anybody who wants to look a little cooler. Acne might be a good alternative in terms of cuts and image, but their prices are plain silly.

I have handled a few different denims, I have too many pairs of jeans like many here, mostly Japanese, and I can tell you that if I ever buy another pair, it will be from APC. After a while, you (I at least) get tired of exotic extra fancy pants that don't quite fit right, and you want to get back to something simple. I guess that's why APC offer a pair of jeans called "standard". Like you said, people move away from APC, but more importantly, people also come back to APC.

Some would argue that Naked & Famous is one of those options. Similar quality denim, similar quality construction, similarly popular fits, but at an average of $40-$50 less retail per pair.

brothersharp

Reaction score
Agreed that APC has held on as a somewhat unrivaled 'entry point' to raw denim, however if they continue to raise the prices it will cease to be. $175 just isn't that far away from a pair of sturdier premium raws.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
this is crazy. were not talking about a huge increase in price. in fact, i would consider the increase to be very reasonable considering some of the more recent denim price increases. its really simple ... if you guys dont like the new price go buy something else. there are plenty of alternatives.

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I paid something like $200 for my pair in the London store and I love them. I'm sure I could have bought some repro Japanese jeans that I have to wash right away so they shrink 4 inches and will be uncomfortable as ****, take years to fade and are huge around the legs, but have special denim and a nice leather patch and donut rivets or something, but that would a huge hassle and probably wouldn't look that good. My petite standards fit perfect, they're very comfortable after several months wear and they're plenty durable, they're perfect jeans, don't really care they're made in china and not dipped in indigo by hand by some old man. Considering a lot of people on the forum who buy raws wear the same pair everyday for months on end, whats a 10 or 20 dollar price increase really matter? The only denim I can think of that is competitive with APC in terms of fit and price range is ACNE and Naked and Famous.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fuji
I paid something like $200 for my pair in the London store and I love them. I'm sure I could have bought some repro Japanese jeans that I have to wash right away so they shrink 4 inches and will be uncomfortable as ****, take years to fade and are huge around the legs, but have special denim and a nice leather patch and donut rivets or something, but that would a huge hassle and probably wouldn't look that good. My petite standards fit perfect, they're very comfortable after several months wear and they're plenty durable, they're perfect jeans, don't really care they're made in china and not dipped in indigo by hand by some old man. Considering a lot of people on the forum who buy raws wear the same pair everyday for months on end, whats a 10 or 20 dollar price increase really matter? The only denim I can think of that is competitive with APC in terms of fit and price range is ACNE and Naked and Famous.

worship.gif
worship.gif
Agree with you 100%. I think I could see myself paying up to $250 for Petit Standards if they ever went that high. Thats how much I like the fit and to me the quality is not that bad. I have used one pair as work jeans for about two years know and they see all sorts of hell like paint, oil, dust, mud, and lots of other things and they still have plenty of life in them.

King Leer

Reaction score
I remember when these were under $125. How times have changed. The denim is their bread and butter, but the cotton markets dictate the price, the consumer will still come.

I personally love RRL and Samurai as alternatives, but I've got a pair of NS that I still wear and they're 7 years old.

transient

Reaction score
Going to pick up some new standards later today. I bought my first pair of raws and they're fantastic for what they are. But I want something utterly basic and can be easily matched with 80% of my wardrobe. I'm just not advanced enough. Pair #3 might be $250+ Samurai's or something.

commodorewheeler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whatever123
this is crazy. were not talking about a huge increase in price. in fact, i would consider the increase to be very reasonable considering some of the more recent denim price increases. its really simple ... if you guys dont like the new price go buy something else. there are plenty of alternatives.

I agree with you, a $10 price increase on the jeans is actually really reasonable considering inflation, rising cotton prices, and the falling US dollar.

Harbin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly I bought a pair of APC new standards, and the only pair of raw denim I've had before that was a pair of $50 unbranded from UO. When I got the APC NS I was like wtf...the quality is crap and it feels light as hell. Sold it.

Jokerman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Harbin
Honestly I bought a pair of APC new standards, and the only pair of raw denim I've had before that was a pair of $50 unbranded from UO. When I got the APC NS I was like wtf...the quality is crap and it feels light as hell. Sold it.

facepalm.gif

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wow surprised this thread is getting so much involvement since i left.

it is not solely from my perception but more from my own experience. i have handled way too many different types of denim, either in college while working in retail, and through own personal experience with buying multiple pairs before finally choosing ones i liked. i would definitely argue that raw denim has gained immense popularity in recent years where now EVERYONE, even mall brands are making raw denim and offering them up as the best new thing.

if you dont like repro or silly americana thats fine. but you admit taht these are a SIMPLE product, that is well defined, not overdesigned, and not using fancy denims. so this is exactly why i have an issue with the price increasing year over year.

i stated earlier that i too have a pair of NS hanging in my closet that are 2-3 years old and still get wear. im not saying they are terrible jeans. my only comment was that as the price increases, i no longer see them the same. i remember sub 150 not the current price.

as others have mentioned n&f, crate, 3 sixteen, epaulet .... theres a bunch out there. all are simple, understated, are not into crazy repro *** stuff, etc. i only argued that as the price increases, it makes it more difficult to see APC as the end all, be all.

i agree that the fit is why it is loved and purchased. thats why i still have it in my closet. but there are people like you that gravitate back to apc while there are many more that are gravitating away from it. i understand you like the fit and simplicity. but it can be found elsewhere at a similar price point, that is all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads