1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

APC price increase??

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tnd, Jan 9, 2011.

1. transient

transient Well-Known Member

This sucks, I was going to get some new standards soon and be done with it. But now it looks like I gotta consider another sub $200 alternatives.

2. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Well-Known Member

I would pin it on supply and demand / inflation.

On an aside, if you don't like the price increase, ever consider buying from another brand? I thought most of SF was cognizant of voting with their dollars. APC used to be entry level a few years ago, but seems like they've fallen out of favor. I wasn't too impressed with their quality when I tried on their NS' at a store, so bought something else instead.

3. commodorewheeler

commodorewheeler Well-Known Member

does this mean they improved teh quality?
    I highly doubt it. I would guess it is more likely due to inflation, the falling dollar, rising cotton prices, or some combination of all three.
    shit ... apc's are a steal even at $275.
    Is that a dig at ROY?
    I would pin it on supply and demand / inflation. On an aside, if you don't like the price increase, ever consider buying from another brand? I thought most of SF was cognizant of voting with their dollars. APC used to be entry level a few years ago, but seems like they've fallen out of favor. I wasn't too impressed with their quality when I tried on their NS' at a store, so bought something else instead.
    APC is still entry level quality, but their prices are getting high for entry level, IMO.

4. Rhett.gay.edu.gov.jp

Rhett.gay.edu.gov.jp Member

I own one pair of APC jeans, bought them in 1997 for $105 (full price), they're made of gray selvedge denim with a bright orange selvedge ID.

Thats rly cool, you should post some pics!

5. kiya

kiya Well-Known Member

Thats rly cool, you should post some pics!

I swear i just spent searching the Sufu APC thread for the past 10 minutes looking for my photos but i can't find it because the search function there barely works. I might have even posted them on Styleforum but i can't find that post either.

6. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

The increases price is most likely due to the euro going belly up and fucking up the exchange rate or someone at apc is a greedy bastard

7. jet

jet Well-Known Member

Love my apcs and ten bucks isn't going to stop me from copping even though I get them for free [​IMG]

Went through the jap repro denim phase shit just doesn't look good. I'd probably pay 200 for new standards. They used to be $105 12 years ago.

8. Rosenberg

Rosenberg Well-Known Member

Love my apcs and ten bucks isn't going to stop me from copping even though I get them for free [​IMG]

Went through the jap repro denim phase shit just doesn't look good. I'd probably pay 200 for new standards. They used to be $105 12 years ago.

Some labels are getting good at making shit with awesome denim and cuts that don't blow. Not "repro" but you know what i mean

9. whatever123

whatever123 Well-Known Member

Is that a dig at ROY?
    no, not at all ... just a joke in general. people: left field has a great option at $165 using cone selvage that is made in the states and the rogues territory 'steve' at $165 also using cone denim and made in the states so you do have some great alternatives at the old apc price that are better options. it is unlikely they changed the quality of the new apc although i dont know for sure.

10. jenkinslaw

jenkinslaw Well-Known Member

Bought my NS's 3 years ago at $145, which was still a relative bargain. Much better options at $185 price point such as left field, crate, 3sixteen, rogue territory, etc. IMO this is APC getting greedy with their heightened popularity. Too bad.

11. ThomSquared

ThomSquared Well-Known Member

Nobody should be shitting themselves over ten bucks, relax guys. As entry level as many think they are I still can't get myself to buy another pair of jeans outside of NC's and PS's, they are the best out there in my opinion. Now, if I can only find a pair of Black New Cure's in this fucking universe I would die a happy man.

12. takashi

takashi Well-Known Member

commodorewheeler is right (price increase is due to inflation, the falling dollar, rising cotton prices, or some combination of all three).

I would like to state here a little bit more about the cotton price from cotton mills (and brands) point of view.

The below is cotton potion price chart for the last 40years (sorry guys, it's in Japanese. Left side is price in cent and the base is year from 1973 to 2011)
    http://www.american-option.com/pdf2/month_cotton.pdf

This one is 10year chart
    http://www.american-option.com/pdf/week_cotton.pdf

In November 2009, the price was 36.70 and the last month (Dec, 2010) was the highest 159.12, over 4times more expensive.

As some of you may question, "why do you need to increase the price, when you are killing in option trading?"

This is quite true. Some companies (mostly major Japanese mills and trading companies) make more money financing these than, say, weaving denim fabric. The problem is that the price may go further up (thus the option price up) and need to hedge further.

Although they still make good margin on trading (we need to be aware that they are usually losing side of the game), their business model is based on manufacturing the fabric. And when the price is up, they need to put up the price. Current trend is that the manufacturers increased the fabric price around 8-15% (I was told they would like to increase 18-22% but they cannot, as they don't want to lose the customers). The end consumer will see the price difference at least 3-6% (but we feel like 10% increase due to the weak currency).

Thank you for reading.

P.S
    When I saw the first time APC jeans in Japan (16years ago), it was around 16000yen and the price hasn't changed since. I guess it was slightly expensive then...

13. Mauro

Mauro Well-Known Member

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    They stocked piled a shit load of Japanese Denim and had it made in Tunisia. That was in the 90's and early 2000 and before raw denim exploded.Now they have to get more stock and that's when Kiya's facts come in.
    The fit is the fit and the denim is the denim. I won't endorse or knock it.
    however you can expect more price increases to come.

14. Max Biggavel

Max Biggavel Well-Known Member

i dont get the appeal with repro jeans... ill stick with my $175 apc's

15. dissapointedengineer

dissapointedengineer Active Member

did APC recently increase their jean prices from $165 to $175??

uh.. no.. the dollar's value fell

get used to it

16. Jokerman

Jokerman Well-Known Member

IMO this is APC getting greedy with their heightened popularity. Too bad.

Its forums like this one that we can blame for the this "heightened popularity." I think though it has more to do with other issues that have already been mentioned.

17. halisray

halisray Well-Known Member

Spending $185 on jeans MADE IN CHINA is ridiculous..

18. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

^agreed especially with so many better alternatives.

back when there werent alot of options for decent entry level raws, i understand why APC was so popular and why it gained such a large following. plus it was the easiest to find online and at random retailers but now theres no reason to ...

19. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

Spending $185 on jeans MADE IN CHINA is ridiculous..

do you actually know anything about APC's manufacturing practices or do you just equate everything that's made in china?

20. Pangolin

Pangolin Well-Known Member

You're all very cute with your "better alternatives" but I'm still waiting for someone to actually make a better New Standard. There must be a reason why APC jeans are still so popular and I doubt their price is the main reason.