1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

englade, the carvings are on the underside, that is so bourgeois, you get nothing.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

I think that pretty much describes Japanese culture generally.

But I do quite like the Japanese aesthetic. It has a coherent philosophy that allows you to apply its principles in moderation and in unexpected contexts. For example, you can make a room "more Japanese" without making it Japanese at all.

By contrast, Chinese art is much more exuberant and, to me, less attractive. Japanese and Chinese art are obviously close kin but you can still almost always spot a hanging scroll painted in Hong Kong versus one done in Japan even when the artist is trying to copy the Japanese style. Unfortunately, the Cultural Revolution was a success as it managed to completely destroy traditional Chinese culture in China proper so we will never know how it might have developed.

+1

This has been going on for several years now and it cracks me up. Some people won't be happy until we have returned to hunting and gathering. Well, gathering, anyway, as we would all be vegetarians.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Friends of ours have about a dozen pieces. The wife's family bought directly from Nakashima on an installment plan over many years. It is beautiful and beautifully made.

4. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

I have a coffee table that fits this, I think. The top is made from wood from an old barn in Pennsylvania, and the legs are recycled steel tubes. I don't know the provenance of the steel. Liberals like repurposing stuff, right? My wife and I found a young furniture maker in Lynchburg, Va. He had recently quit his "boring corporate life" (his words) to restore a 19th century church and pursue his passion of making furniture from reclaimed wood and metal. Living in a shitty post-industrial town and eschewing a "normal" career to do something quirky, artistic, and eco-conscious. Pretty appealing for hipsters, right?

We were in the market for a custom-made table, because we had very particular dimensions that we could not find in a store bought table. His stuff looked decent and was not particularly expensive. The modern/industrial look seemed to go well with the rest of our decor. Voila! A coffee table enjoyed by liberal and hipters.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I agree with Manton: that the etchings are only on the underside marks the table as decidedly bourgeois, and thus distinctly not "interesting." If you truly own something, rather than merely possess it, you would not feel the need to conceal your usage. Thus, this table does not pass the StephenHero bar: a thing not merely acquired by commercial transaction or held by legal right, but "honestly" owned by the owner.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  6. mafoofan

Eww. I hate your table, I hate the guy who made it, and I hate this story.

7. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Not sure how I missed this fine thread. I'm too lazy to read back through. Is there a pic of the final product somewhere, or do the debates still rage?

8. mafoofan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

In all seriousness, it's a very attractive room. I'd angle that one lamp away from the couch, though. Top lighting is very unflattering - it makes people look old and tired. Unless of course that is your goal.

10. zalb916

It's a wood table with metal legs. It's pretty inoffensive.

11. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Room looks good. I'd lose the orbs and pick up a decent painting to add a bit of color / visual interest to the wall. Also, is that the same couch you had? Looks lighter

Im not going to pretend to be a furniture nerd, but I'd say the design and layout aren't exactly controversial. That must explain why this thread is *only* 1872 posts long ....

12. mafoofan

You don't get it.

13. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Instead of using a shade to diffuse the grotesque LED light away from the walls so that it might actually be pleasant to sit in the living room, I like how foo keeps the gimmicky studio lamp handy just in case Mario Testino asks to borrow his sofa for a Princess Diana photoshoot.

1 person likes this.
  14. zalb916

No, I do. My description was tongue-in-cheek, like your response. I know what my table is, and I understand the nature of your response. This whole schtick is just not particularly clever.

15. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

This thread sucks now.

1 person likes this.
  16. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

A friend told me when Mario Testino was in Shanghai for a party, her boyfriend did coke with him in a bathroom and then Testino asked the boyfriend if he wanted to "go somewhere cozy".

17. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

This thread sucks now? It sucked 62 pages ago.

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Don't you have a powerpoint presentation to update in your BMW?

19. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Well-Known Member

Can't you be at least a bit more creative than that?

Anyway, this is exactly why this thread sucks. It's just full of big egos trying to shoot each other down with witty one-uppers.

Time to exit.

20. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Sorry Foo. zbromer's table may not have the Cappellini Medallion of Authenticity, but his table is still more 'authentic' than yours, even if your table has prettier lines and finer materials. After all, yours is just the mass production version of a table, run off by the thousands in a factory with lousy quality control, while his was hand crafted by its designer.