1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

The first person to show me a coffee table self-acquired from an isolated jungle tribe, elusive Japanese hermit-artisan, or nomadic hill folk, wins 10,000 foo points.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I had an empty cable spool as a coffee table that I liberated from an Ontario Hydro sight. Does that get me any Foo points?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. mafoofan

No.

The story behind the table has to suggest you are an "interesting" person to hipsters and/or liberals.

4. Piobaire

I would think calling electricity "hydro" would provide interesting colloquial colour and the fact my coffee table was not only "repurposed" but liberated from a government utility would be very appealing to both hipsters and/or liberals.

1 person likes this.
  5. mafoofan

Hydropower and big government are two darlings of the liberal cause. You have managed to rob both in one fell swoop.

6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Nakashima is very famous around the world now, but many of his tables were purchase by people genuinely interested in his woodworking many years ago. Much of it was purchased for very reasonable prices considering the handwork and wood involved. It's not ridiculous to consider a craftsman's work, in fact there are many people in my area who refuse to offer up their pieces to the auction for genuine enjoyment of them.

[​IMG]

They are very nice to look at, regardless of the price that they bring at auction.

7. SkinnyGoomba

Sam Maloof rocker. This man was not formally trained in woodworking;

[​IMG]

8. mafoofan

SG, I never said it was wrong to care about how a thing is crafted, nor did I claim handcrafted things are all ugly. My point was simply that handcrafted things are not necessarily beautiful, which is what I am looking for first and foremost in my living space.

9. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

The term "hydro"is neither colloquial nor colorful but simply descriptive of the method of turning the turbines - 5000 foo points

1 person likes this.
  10. Piobaire

It took place in Canada, i.e. liberal Heaven.

I want some Foo points for this.

11. mafoofan

It's all moot without pictures.

12. mafoofan

This is a perfect example of a finely crafted, very ugly chair.

1 person likes this.
  13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

You are mistaken. Hydro is no longer in favor among Big Liberal because of the damage it does to the ecosystems submerged behind the dams. In fact, there is a movement here in San Francisco to drain Hetch Hetchy.

2 people like this.
  14. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

When I was in grad school we had a big cheap coffee table. We would carve designs into the top with steak knives. Eventually it became "interesting."

15. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Which is truly fucking hysterical.

I've been there many times and I don't doubt that it was once, and could be again, the near equal of Yosemite Valley. But if you morons get rid of it you should depopulate Teh City first because you will never be able to replace that supply. Ever.

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

I will take this rare opportunity to agree with you, Manton. The whole concept is batty.

17. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Upside: broadway mansions with northern exposures going for pennies on the dollar

18. SkinnyGoomba

Hah! I certainly disagree.

I understand your point, handmade does not distinctly qualify something for consideration. Well made and well designed are my primary qualifications for considering a product, regardless of the origin.

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Well-Known Member

I present for your inspection a Heywood Wakefield coffee table,purchased by my parents in the mid 50s as part of a set , the bottom of which bears the etchings of three generations of englade321 toddlers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gotta be a couple foo points

20. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I acquired this transit case from a cargo cult based in the Solomon Islands. Now give me the money. Thanks.