1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Sounds like my desk.

Sucks, because I definitely don't like the look of it, but the computer and monitors have to go somewhere.

2. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

Love the book case.

3. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

I have serious built-in envy right now.

4. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    has it occurred to anyone that this thread now has more pages than foo's living room does square feet?

2 people like this.
  5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I only drink HennessyXKawsXColette (this is a real thing).

[​IMG]

6. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

I want to see more generic catalog pics, please.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Dude Colette and Kaws partnered with Hennessy to release some limited edition product targeted at hype victims, there is nothing generic about this.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hayward

No, I meant SH's home office pic.

9. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Interesting point. Foo's room is reminiscent of that. A traditional Japanese room would be primarily in earth tones. The visual center would be the tokonoma, a recessed alcove that contained a hanging scroll, ikebana -- a traditional flower arrangement -- and possibly a piece of pottery. The tokonoma was to the traditional Japanese living room as the TV typically is today.

While the ikebana might contain a splash of color, most of the emphasis in decoration was on form. The hanging scroll might contain some muted colors but it might also be a piece of calligraphy in black ink. Even the scrolls depicting scenes would often include a piece of poetry that could act as a springboard for conversation and word games.

I think the most interesting thing about the Japanese approach is that while it appears to be very minimalist, it was actually extremely dynamic. By changing the scroll and creating a different ikebana, you would effectively completely redecorate the entire room. That was, in fact, expected. Scrolls were changed, at a minimum, based on the seasons and were also often changed for celebrations of special events, holidays, etc. The ikebana, of course, had to be changed every day or two.

I think it would be very interesting to take a room like Foo's and replace the TV with the modern equivalent of a tokonoma that you would constantly re-invent. Of course, that won't work for him as this room is mostly intended as a space to watch TV.

Is there anything intrinsically wrong with that? I understand they have some beautiful carpets.

In your obsessively perfectionist eyes, perhaps. But stuff collected out of designer catalogs can be ugly as sin, too. Whether it is ugly or beautiful is down to the collector, not the source. And I do have to interject that I have seen some pics of SG's stuff and he appears to do excellent work.

Charges of bullying seem kind of condescending to Foo in that he is a 30+ year-old lawyer rather than an emotionally fragile middle-school student. And Foo has been, far and away, the most viciously personal of anyone in this thread.

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I keep a computer model of my living room, just in case I decide to move an end table a few inches either direction. The visualization makes it easier for my e-friends over at Apartment Therapy to give me help on how to live with furniture. It's all a matter of inches. New curtains are Kate Spade btw. Breuer chairs of course. The best.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  11. Bounder

needs moar terrarium balls.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

I needed to rethink the composition, so I made a couple changes. Wut do you guys thank?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Zachgranstrom

Zachgranstrom Well-Known Member

14. Hayward

These are more sad than funny.

1 person likes this.
  15. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The common conception is that Japanese interiors are very minimalist and earthy in colors but there were certain periods that saw quite an ornate decorative scheme like this one:

[​IMG]

The Muromachi period is especially known for its use of gold and silver leaf and rather conspicuously luxurious tendencies. Perhaps the most well-known example is the so-called "Temple of the Golden Pavillion".

[​IMG]

16. Bounder

Hey. Wait a minute. Wasn't this built in like 1950?

Seriously, though, you are probably much more familiar with Japanese stuff than I am as I think you live there now. But wouldn't you say the above is exceptional and largely limited to what were public spaces? IIRC, the Japanese even have particular words for their interior decor concepts that translate to something like "simplicity" and "harmony".

17. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

It was rebuilt after a deranged monk burned it down. This was also the theme of a Yukio Mishima novel. The burning--aside from the mere fact of arson--was quite shocking because the original structure had survived WWII only to be destroyed by a monk's mental instability.

I'm living in China now but I wouldn't say I'm overly familiar with Japanese aesthetics. I do find it quite fascinating though. It's extremely refined to the point of oppression.

18. Loathing

Loathing Well-Known Member

I was going to bring up the exact same point as LK: it's a bit of a misconception to describe traditional Japanese design as minimalist.

Do you live in Beijing LK?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  19. manysoquan

manysoquan New Member

good things,i like it,if anybody can defeat the curious beauty of domestic spontaneity, you'd be the guy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  20. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Needs a few more plant orbs, otherwise good work.