1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Relatively, yes. I wouldn't think to buy one, and I'm someone who really loves marble. Any application that requires tensile strength is just flirting with disaster. Five years is hardly a lifespan for furniture.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  2. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

stephenhero has granite counters in his swinging bachelor pad

[​IMG]

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Ok, you're def cursed but it might be a good thing, this table is very long and made for people with large rooms, hell I don't even think I'd like it on anything but concrete or white wood flooring (ok, my problem). Now get a table that a) you like b) you will most likely still like if you move to another environment with more space c) fits your current living situation.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I think our space is big enough for it. Hell, our sofa is 7.5 feet long (table is 6 feet). We figure a marble top on metal base is pretty adaptable regardless of where we move to.

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

It's not that it cannot point to or evoke what a person might be interested in but it certainly isn't foolproof (hey I picked this at Sotheby's cause it matched the carpet, yeah it was painted by Johnson Pollock or whatever, he's an artiste!) and, more importantly, I really don't place having a nice place at the same level as being cognisant in modern art or whatever, it's worth more points than a mastery of Klingon or a deep knowledge of Swiss watches but that's about it.

6. zalb916

zalb916 Well-Known Member

The table in the picture above looks like arabescato marble, not calacatta. It seems like you got an entirely different type of marble.

7. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Where did my cotton candy machine go?!

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Never a dull moment in this thread.

9. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Not sure why you say that. Calacatta is very varied in patterning, and it's the only marble offered on that table. Arabescato, afaik, is just a description for one sort of pattern found in Carrara marble.

10. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Wait, isn't Carrara vs Calacatta basically a contrast/veins thing anyway and not much else (subtler versus more demarcation), I mean it's a major who the fuck cares as long as you get the pattern you enjoy, we're basically talking about the same stone. Be aware that I might just be horribly wrong and if it turns out to be the case I am sorry if this posting caused someone interior decor anguish.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is the same stone from the same quarries, but Carrara is light gray background and Calacatta is whiter. The patterns can be really varied in either classification. Statuario or Arabescato are, in my understanding, ways of segregating a mid grade so as to charge more. I'm no expert, but we did just get a new countertop so I spent a good deal of time in a marble yard.

Anyway, my point wasn't "ha ha ha you don't know anything about marble," but rather that to state that something wasn't the material that was promised or shown is irresponsible in this case.

12. Find Finn

Find Finn Well-Known Member

Carrera is better looking, if you ask me.

13. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

But is it authentic Calacatta from Italy or the fake stuff from China?

Actually, that's worth huge points. Maybe negative points, but huge points.

14. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

vIghel nuvpu' nuq ghe''or?

2 people like this.
  15. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Assuming they give a refund for the table without demanding it back, could you have a new top made for it out of wood or glass? Then it would be a free, one of a kind item.

16. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

shipping companies are insured, so the onus is on them to handle replacements

17. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

Either way. If it were me I'd go with a big slab of fiberglass.

18. zalb916

I said it, because you can sometimes choose among different types of marble when purchasing marble tables. For instance, some retailers allow you to purchase the Saarinen table in calacatta, arabescato, or carrara. And by "different type of marble," I mean the name associated with it. I have no idea if they are distinct marbles or subsets of each other that are labeled based on their appearance. I didn't intend to imply either, nor is it a particularly meaningful distinction to me. I was using names describing different looking marbles.

I also wasn't intending to imply anything anything untoward by the seller or that Foo got duped or anything like that. There were a few posts discussing the appearance of the marble. I noted that the one in the earlier picture and the one purchased looked like marbles that are differently named, i.e. a "different type of marble." There's no value judgment. It's one's personal opinion about which type he prefers.

The marble in the earlier picture happens to look like this:
    [​IMG]

The broken one delivered to Foo looks more like this:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. zalb916

As I said, the point of my post was not to say what Foo received was not what was promised. I just was pointing out the marbles looked different. Sometimes the buyer can choose that difference. Sometimes that difference is random and inconsequential to the buyer. I have no idea if Foo specifically choose that difference or didn't care about it. My pointing out the difference was not intended to imply that I thought there was a nefarious reason for it, though.

20. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

wait, he got TWO broken tables?

foo, it may be time to build your own table, in situ.