1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Nope, just mentioning what I prefer in rugs. Been thinking a lot about the subject lately, since we're on the search for one or two for my study. I tend to prefer flat weaves for more rustic circumstances and maybe juxtaposed with Bauhaus furniture, but not for more elegant uses.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2013
  2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

This would look great with bauhaus type stuff. Pretty sure it is morrocan, not kilim.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  3. Kaplan

Kaplan Well-Known Member

I like that. Where from? Google image search wasn't helpful.

4. SkinnyGoomba

Thanks Matt, something like this was what I was attempting to describe. That would look great with Bauhaus furniture.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Where is a good source for these sorts of rugs? Looking for kilims, for example, yields dozens of web shops that may or may not be reputable.

6. mafoofan

7. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A reputable on-line carpet dealer? I think you had better resign yourself to the idea that WYSIWYG. Any extraordinary claims should be discounted by close to 100%. If someone is offering you a brand-new machine-made mostly-wool carpet, you will probably get what you pay for. If someone is offering you an antique 100% Vicuna, 2000 knots/inch carpet that was hand-woven by the Sultan's Mother-in-Law, not so much.

If you want to buy something special, you really have to inspect the goods in person. And even then, something is almost sure to get by you even if you know what to look for. Even assuming the dealer is being 100% straight with you -- a big assumption --carpets can have a very long and convoluted supply chain so there are lots of opportunities for fudging, especially regarding materials and age. Maybe its 100% silk and maybe it's not.

8. mafoofan

We're not looking for a masterpiece or anything extraordinary. But if we go the route of a kilim or a berber, we'd like a genuine one--not some mass-produced rendition for the interior design market. Really, we'd like to spend no more than $2,000 on something 5x8 to 6x9. Much, much less would be even better. To be quite honest, the normal mass-produced rugs we've been looking at are all less than $500. At this point, we just aren't comfortable spending a lot on something that may or may not outlive our current apartment. We are okay spending more on furniture because we are more certain of its long-term adaptability.

I've found what appears to be a reputable, legitimate kilim designer who works with Anatolian village women to make the rugs you spec, and they sell for around $1,500. You'd probably pay a bunch less if you skipped past a designer and did it through a rug shop instead, but then there is added risk. Sound potentially legitimate?

I'd rather not get such a rug at all if what we're looking for is not available in our price range.

9. SkinnyGoomba

Hard to find a substitute for seeing these rugs in person. You're in NYC, you could probably throw a stone and hit a rug shop.

10. SkinnyGoomba

11. Ernie

Ernie Well-Known Member

12. mafoofan

I've been e-mailing back and forth with that designer. We like the "Plait" pattern, but are wondering about the right color and if really want to spend so much.

13. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

What added risk is that, exactly?

Would it bother you if the "Anatolian village women" turned out to be 10 years old and currently living in Pakistan? Unfortunately, that's always a possibility, even if you're buying a carpet that has some sort of certification.

The ironic thing is that Iran has arguably the best carpets and the cleanest industry. Due to sanctions, however, Iranian carpets can't be imported in most countries. So where they are available, there's a glut and the prices have crashed. For $2000 you can pick up a high-quality work of art, if you are willing to go to Dubai.

If it's just a matter of temporary interior decoration, I would just get a machine-made carpet. They're cheaper, look perfectly fine and you don't have to worry about some progressive bint nattering on about labor conditions in India during the veal course.

FTFY

14. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Not sure how reliable this article is, Foo, but you might find it helpful when trying to assess whether the price you're paying is fair.

http://www.rugandrelic.com/Category...bout-Rugs/Nine-Indicators-of-Rug-Quality.aspx

I also walk by this store often. They only sell Oriental rugs, but the owner wrote this book. Not sure if there are some transferrable lessons there, but maybe? The owner of that store/ author of that book sells some really nice stuff.

There's also this kilim rug store in San Francisco, but I've never been

15. SkinnyGoomba

Going to a reputable dealer helps, especially if they are willing to show you varying degrees of quality back to back so that you can get an idea of what you're looking for.

16. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

If you swapped the chairs out I bet that could become ConTrad in an instant.

17. mafoofan

I don't think there was ever any question about that. The issue is: which dealers?

18. mafoofan

Hmm. The room is not particularly fashionable in the ConTrad way.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013