• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Apartment foo-nishing

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Enlighten me, because it read to me like "you're just jealous that you can't afford to wear Rubi and shop Capi after going on your safaris and ****". Which part did I misunderstand?
Enlighten me, because it read to me like "you're just jealous that you can't afford to wear Rubi and shop Capi after going on your safaris and ****". Which part did I misunderstand?

For somebody who has been as belligerent and personal in this thread as you, it is amazing to see such thinness of skin.

Oh please. Argumentative is not the same as belligerent and personal. Have I deliberately insulted Foo at any point? I don't recall doing so. I may have been hard on some of his style selections, but no harder than he is on many occasions.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

No.

The point is: it is bullshit that people are going on "safaris and ****" to collect their furniture.

And what does it say that you are charmed when Vox calls you a peon?

As one of the SFers that have probably engaged in the most of these "safaris and ****" I can say the only exotic stuff I have on display is the Kazakh hat (a white version of this so it's def semi-hidden cuz it's ugly):
http://bowshooter.blogspot.ca/2012/01/expedition-26-soyuz-landing-alexander.html

a really small metal giraffe and some bird's head that was acquired through a set designer who had a lot of Victorian taxidermy (i.e. no cool anecdote). I'm not about to cover my place in African masks and elephant tusks or whatever + most of the stuff you find nowadays isn't really good. I am typing this sitting on an Herman Miller chair, my computer standing on an Herman Miller desk with an Herman Miller file cabinet just nearby.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
No.

The point is: it is bullshit that people are going on "safaris and ****" to collect their furniture.

And what does it say that you are charmed when Vox calls you a peon?

As one of the SFers that have probably engaged in the most of these "safaris and ****" I can say the only exotic stuff I have on display is the Kazakh hat (a white version of this so it's def semi-hidden cuz it's ugly):
http://bowshooter.blogspot.ca/2012/01/expedition-26-soyuz-landing-alexander.html

a really small metal giraffe and some bird's head that was acquired through a set designer who had a lot of Victorian taxidermy (i.e. no cool anecdote). I'm not about to cover my place in African masks and elephant tusks or whatever + most of the stuff you find nowadays isn't really good.

Come on, now you're just using reductio ad absurdem.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Oh please. Argumentative is not the same as belligerent and personal. Have I deliberately insulted Foo at any point? I don't recall doing so. I may have been hard on some of his style selections, but no harder than he is on many occasions.

Whatever. To me you look like a bully on one side and a whiner on the other. I am glad you see yourself differently than that.

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Funiture Foraging, I prefer burglary to safaris, personally.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Whatever. To me you look like a bully on one side and a whiner on the other. I am glad you see yourself differently than that.

I think you have me confused with someone else, but as you say, whatever.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that I don't want my living space to be (mainly) autobiographical, especially when it pertains to travel.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That isn't my goal either, and is really ignoring the larger point that I was making, which is that I want my space to be very personal.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

That isn't my goal either, and is really ignoring the larger point that I was making, which is that I want my space to be very personal.

Ever noticed that when inspector whatever enters the big bad psycho's empty apartment he is shocked by how impersonal it is, like a hotel room or an office space, a complete non-place (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-place), a place of passage not an inhabited space. This clearly underlines how much of a big bad psycho the big bad psycho is, the reader doesn't need a map to cuckooland to know the big bad psycho resides there permanently, his non-place is the physical embodiment of it.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's bullshit that people are traveling to Milan to custom order clothing! NFW are people that crazy, must be an internet rumor.

God. I didn't think I was being this unclear.

Going on safaris is not bullshit. People on SF claiming they are going on safaris to get their furniture is bullshit. Understand the difference?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My space is extremely personal. It is exactly as I want it to be. It just isn't a cliche.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Skinny ****** makes his own furniture. Medved buys incredible, unique pieces at auction, and often restores them himself. I have already enumerated how my home is decorated with objects that reflect our interests and our travels, so your comment about people not going on safari to acquire their furniture is pretty much wrong, or you're being overly literal about the safari thing.

And I would like to gently and politely proffer the idea that your room is, in fact, a very attractive cliche.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Last edited:

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C'mon Foo. As a lawyer yer prolly too busy to travel. So get rid of all that cliché and replace it with a tableau that reflects Honest Living.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads