1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Apartment foo-nishing

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by mafoofan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

Now, imagine you have just one room for both drinking coffee, watching TV, snacking, and drinking.

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I'm going to recommend that coffeetable book Ghetto again.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

do you ever get out of bed?

1 person likes this.
  4. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Our art books go on the Sapien shelves in the living room and entry. The coffee table is where books we're half-reading usually end up until we finish , and also where the latest copies of magazines accumulate. I've noticed that the smuttier something is, the more likely it is to get perused. Us Weekly is a favorite, especially among the art crowd who I believe get off on the taboo.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    3 people like this.
  5. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Well, in that case, you forget to mention that he has a small penis. In for a penny, in for a pound, they say.

Let me stop you right there. I see what he is getting at. You do not. It is as logically cohesive insofar as a theory about these sorts of things can be. For an attorney, you have a puzzling and oft-demonstrated inability to get inside the arguments of others. I hope you are sticking strictly to transactional work. If you are ever the lead in a contested matter, you are going to get your head handed to you and you will never know why.

I agree, however, that there is little hope of discussing this meaningfully with you. Nonetheless, hope springs eternal so I will have a go at translating Stephen's theory of interior design into SF-relevant terms. I am sure that Stephen will be happy to come along and tell me to fuck off if I am too far wrong or if the analogy is too forced.

Sprezzatura is considered a desirable quality on SF. But true sprezzatura is a function of actually living in your clothes. For example, I have some shirts with double-button cuffs. One of my watches is too big to wear with these shirts so I leave one of the buttons on the cuff unbuttoned. It has become something of a habit so I often leave that button undone without thinking about it even if I am not wearing that particular watch.

Forced sprezzatura is much worse than none e.g. wearing french cuffs without cufflinks. It reeks of try-too-hard and makes you look like a clueless poseur. This is the problem with the interior that Stephen analyzed. It is a series of arch, studied flourishes which are completely inauthentic.

He doesn't like your living room because it is, from his perspective, a random collection of studied flourishes, albeit not as twee as the one he dissected.

Now you can agree with his theory or not. There are certainly other ways to think about interior design. But to claim that his theory is disingenuous rubbish says a lot more about you than it does about him.

I will even go out on a limb and suggest something that I suspect Stephen would agree fits in with his theory. Suppose that you used your coffee table as a display for the One Shoe. Imagine five pairs of perfectly matched, beautiful One Shoes glistening gently in their own display case in the middle of your living room. In effect, your coffee table would become an art installation on multiple levels. God knows it would be authentic and would make for one hell of a conversation piece if nothing else.

I am sure this will draw the usual 2000 word point-by-point rebuttal explaining in detail why no one except Foo understands anything at all.

1 person likes this.
  6. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Easy, I would determine it depending on how the room is laid out. My sitting room is conductive to a coffee table, I could do without that room if need be, eliminating the need for a coffee table.

Funny enough I think this thread has offered great insight to everyone except for foo. I really appreciate Fuuma's postings, and while SH has previously eluded to his ideas on interior design, it was better fleshed out here. Too easy to become too studied.

1 person likes this.
  7. mafoofan

When I do, it's a quick roll on the ground from the living room, through the kitchen, into our study, through our foyer, past our dining room, and into the living room, where I do all the things I mentioned. In fact, when rolling along, one often finds he is going through three or four of the above all at once.

How is that for honest living?

8. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i like a nice, eclectic mix of coffee table books.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. mafoofan

Why are you such a bitch? Actually, I stopped reading as soon as you mentioned sprezzatura and began discussing it seriously. Jeezus. Evidently, I am just too advanced for you.

10. mordecai

mordecai Well-Known Member

Swinging too hard at the joke. Not honest living. When I get home I'll try to remember to take a photo of the latest New Criterion sitting next to a magazine with the headline "Michele Obama's Arms! Wow!"

11. gomestar

gomestar Well-Known Member

i'm pretty sure my arms are a little bit nicer thanks to that Phaidon book. Our official "book" is New York Magazine on top of an HP laptop.

The Muji desk gets the Mac. No room for an HP.

12. SkinnyGoomba

Your coffee table offers poo insight.

My relatives, who are staying with us this week, have taken up residence in everyone of the chairs I enjoy with exception to three. This is exasperating. I know this offers nothing to this thread, just needed to vent.

1 person likes this.
  13. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

This is the point in the thread in which we transition from what is inside Foo's shitty apartment to who the fuck would ever want to go inside Foo's shitty apartment.

14. SkinnyGoomba

He's still on what shit to put in his shitty apartment aside from books on poo that he would like to borrow from gnome.

15. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

Hormones. You know how it is.

Yes, Foo, that must be it.

2 people like this.
  16. suited

suited Well-Known Member

We have a little breakfast nook with viewing access to the TV, so that's where we'll sit if we are eating. I don't snack much at home, but if I do it's usually something I can hold and eat without having to set it down somewhere. We have a shelf in that space, so that's where we can set things we want to keep in that room. Knowing our habits I was always afraid our coffee table would accumulate mail and other clutter. If the room was much larger we might have decided to get one. I just hate walking around them. At times it's inconvenient, but I think its absence is probably a good thing in our case.

17. Hayward

Hayward Well-Known Member

What about a jute rug?

18. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Yeah, that bench is great but more to stack books one than to use a coffee table. I'm thinking of getting one and painting it all white but might go for something less typical. It would be on a rug that has pretty much nothing on it right now and not at the center of some living room arrangement. Keep in mind I'm talking about loft space so high ceilings and large open space

1 person likes this.
  19. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

You need a third book, upper left corner, The Tao of Pooh.

20. mafoofan

It's a gorgeous bench, but it is too small for our living room space--namely, too narrow. It gets dwarfed by the sofa and winds up too far away from anything else.