1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone in government?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Mar 31, 2006.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

Here is one aspect of working on the Hill that I find interesting. This is from the current Senate employment bulletin (edited for length):

---------------
    NATURAL RESOURCES LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT - ...opening for an experienced Natural Resources Legislative Assistant. Primary responsibility is to create and execute a long-term and far-reaching Natural Resources agenda that is focused on results. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: creating and tracking legislation affecting all aspects of land and water rights, use, and access issues, energy production and conservation, Brownfields, Historic Preservation, and forestry.... Qualified candidates should have a J.D. and solid background in environmental policy, including knowledge of western land, water, and energy issues...
    ----------------

What is the fascination with lawyers? I have a PhD in environmental economics and I am, according to this, underqualified. But some schmo with a JD (no offense to those that have them--I've always wanted to study the law myself) has an immediate leg-up. And the answer cannot simply be a familiarity with the law--I, at one point or another, have known the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, NEPA, CERCLA, American Fisheries Act, Magnusen-Stevens Act, and others at at least a rudimentary level and some at a very in-depth level. Any legit explanations?

bob

because the last guy who had the job was a lawyer. I call this - my last sales manager was a redhead who played the obo, so I am only looking to recruit a redhaired obo player now syndrome. you can still apply, bob. you never know.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

What about work in the FBI/CIA? I'm learning Arabic in school now, plan to study in Egypt, and I hear that they jump on anyone who knows Arabic these days. Anyone have non-classified experience/hearsay from friends they'd like to share??

there are so few people who speak arabic in the US (who are not imigrants) that there is huge demand. I think that studying in Egypt is a great idea. it will also give you a fantastic look at another culture. I think that you will open doors at the CIA/FBI, as well as many other parts of the government. one thing that you do want to watch - be careful who you hand out with while you are there, you don't want to screw up your security clearance.

3. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

Here is one aspect of working on the Hill that I find interesting. This is from the current Senate employment bulletin (edited for length):

---------------
    NATURAL RESOURCES LEGISLATIVE ASSISTANT - ...opening for an experienced Natural Resources Legislative Assistant. Primary responsibility is to create and execute a long-term and far-reaching Natural Resources agenda that is focused on results. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following: creating and tracking legislation affecting all aspects of land and water rights, use, and access issues, energy production and conservation, Brownfields, Historic Preservation, and forestry.... Qualified candidates should have a J.D. and solid background in environmental policy, including knowledge of western land, water, and energy issues...
    ----------------

What is the fascination with lawyers? I have a PhD in environmental economics and I am, according to this, underqualified. But some schmo with a JD (no offense to those that have them--I've always wanted to study the law myself) has an immediate leg-up. And the answer cannot simply be a familiarity with the law--I, at one point or another, have known the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, NEPA, CERCLA, American Fisheries Act, Magnusen-Stevens Act, and others at at least a rudimentary level and some at a very in-depth level. Any legit explanations?

bob

They rarely get applications from PhDs, so it's not on the radar, but I'd think that you would be considered very well-qualified by anyone who looks at a million resumes a month (like me). The committee staff would have PhDs on it, less so with member offices.

4. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff GT and Checks. I don't actually want this job (and if I did wouldn't feel the least bit worried about applying) but it's not the first time I've seen/heard this. Again, calling up memories of my friends on the hill and what they've had to say, I've heard many times that not only was the JD prefered (say to a MA/MS) but the offices automatically paid more for the JD. Of course that could just be those one or two offices, and I know that some of that has to do with the candidate's other opportunities (hey, I'm no dummie economist, it's why I make more than my colleagues in french lit). But it just always makes me wonder. I particularly like your explanatin GT. Red-headed oboe player indeed.

bob

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff GT and Checks. I don't actually want this job (and if I did wouldn't feel the least bit worried about applying) but it's not the first time I've seen/heard this. Again, calling up memories of my friends on the hill and what they've had to say, I've heard many times that not only was the JD prefered (say to a MA/MS) but the offices automatically paid more for the JD. Of course that could just be those one or two offices, and I know that some of that has to do with the candidate's other opportunities (hey, I'm no dummie economist, it's why I make more than my colleagues in french lit). But it just always makes me wonder. I particularly like your explanatin GT. Red-headed oboe player indeed.

bob

My favorite recent ad was for a senior VP lobbyist. It also said "Excel a plus" so I think a lot of those "qualifications/preferences" are nonsense that can be ignored.