1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone have an opinion on Bally shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by oaw01, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Recoil

Recoil Well-Known Member

I picked up a pair of cap toes for about $160 at Saks in February. They are made in Switzerland but I don't think they are the Scribe line. I am happy with them and I think they were a good deal for the price.

2. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Some of the new Scribes are sweet and very good quality.

[​IMG]

Scribe shoes for men are hand-crafted applying traditional skills and techniques. Each shoe is made using the Goodyear welting process, a method dating back to the late 19th century, that involves 200 steps, most of them by hand.

Hand made at the Bally shoe factory in Caslano, Switzerland, Scribe shoes are available in eight different models, in old natural French calf, Vendome suede, or Louisiana Crocodile and in black, cuba and Indiana colours. Details of each Scribe shoe, including style name and size, are handwritten on the lining by the craftsman himself.

That top double monk is part of the regular collection from observation in their store...

3. Tarmac

Tarmac Well-Known Member

their recent Italian shoes are pretty bad, but not any worse than Gucci, Ferragamo, etc.

Their Scribes are well-made by any measure, if you like the style they are good quality. I still haven't been able to score a pair for the right price.

4. sf_esq

sf_esq Well-Known Member

Are the Scribes readily available? I haven't seen them anywhere.

5. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Some of the new Scribes are sweet and very good quality.

[​IMG]

Scribe shoes for men are hand-crafted applying traditional skills and techniques. Each shoe is made using the Goodyear welting process, a method dating back to the late 19th century, that involves 200 steps, most of them by hand.

Hand made at the Bally shoe factory in Caslano, Switzerland, Scribe shoes are available in eight different models, in old natural French calf, Vendome suede, or Louisiana Crocodile and in black, cuba and Indiana colours. Details of each Scribe shoe, including style name and size, are handwritten on the lining by the craftsman himself.

When did Louisiana get crocodiles? How do the alligators feel about this?

6. DesignerValet

DesignerValet Well-Known Member

I rather like Bally; while their styles might not be as chic or up-to-date as Gucci or Prada, I find them to be well-made. The biggest upside to Bally is that they're much easier to find on sale (and at steeper discounts) in your size than the more popular brands.

7. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Well-Known Member

For $160, yes. For $400+, which they commonly retail for here in Australia, no f**ing way!
    have you checked out their warehouse in St Peters, most shoes are around $200-$300, if you can find your size that is.

8. Guero

Guero Well-Known Member

their recent Italian shoes are pretty bad, but not any worse than Gucci, Ferragamo, etc.

Their Scribes are well-made by any measure, if you like the style they are good quality. I still haven't been able to score a pair for the right price.

My understanding, only anecdotally, is that their Italian shoes were improving in quality. Perhaps this was a reference to the Scribes, though. Agree that at the right price, the Italian shoes are as good as the other brands mentioned.

9. clausc

clausc Well-Known Member

I have a few pairs of Bally shoes made in Italy. Really stylish, but more understated than Guccy or other fashion brands, the leather is very supple and high quality, but the construction is really crap. I only wore mine a couple of times, since I have too many shoes :)

The Scribe is a tottally different beast, goodyear welted and more classical looking. I bought a pair of black brogues for 200 Euros on sales in Paris, the retail is about 800 USD.

Bally opened in February on online store (www.bally.com) operated by Yoox. I might buy something in July-August when most models should be 50% off if I could not find them in stores (there are plenty in CH)

10. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Well-Known Member

For $160, they aren't overpriced.

11. alexwgoody

alexwgoody Well-Known Member

My grandfather left me lots of great old ballys that I love. Especially my cordovan ones that he never wore. I don't know how much he paid, but they are definitely high quality.

12. oaw01

oaw01 Well-Known Member

Yup, they're made in switzerland. I think it's a great deal at $160. However, they're long my size 9d is 12.25 inches.

13. happyfeet

happyfeet New Member

i think bally shoes can great; just go with your eyes and be picky. you owe nothing until you choose to buy.[​IMG]

14. beautifultraggi

beautifultraggi New Member

I know it has been awhile since you posted, but since I'm shopping for new Bally's, I thought I'd give you my husband's perspective on these shoes. He is a serious runner and has many toe issues. These are his favorite brand to wear, but he doesn't like it when they add gold or silver details, which makes it tough to find something he will wear. Even though he doesn't like the hardware, he will wear the Bally's over Ferragamo, Testoni, Tod's - basically any other high end shoe that is not bespoke.

15. HonoraNobilis

HonoraNobilis New Member

I also think my Ballys are remarkably comfortable, considering that they initially seem designed for optimal appearance rather than practicality.

16. geepee

geepee New Member

Just over three years ago I went to a Bally outlet store in Sydney, Australia and went large on four pairs of Bally's.
    Two pairs of sued boots, nut brown brogues and a pair of black dress shoe to go with my tux.
    Even with the discount, these shoes are very expensive here and I parted with just under $1500 for four pairs.
    But, I figured that I keep my shoes in good order, have trees for all my good shoes and keep them in the original boxes. Slightly anal, maybe. As a result I have a pair of Church's that are now 30 years old, still look amazing, and a pair of Lobb's that are a touch younger.
    All of my Bally's have been to my shoemaker for repairs (the whole sole fell clean off my brown boots whilst I was in the city, no warning, had to buy another pair just to get home).
    None have been worn in the rain or gone cross country.
    No way will I shell out on Bally's again as they are not a quality shoe. If you like the Scibes, buy a pair of Church's instead.
    Disappointing.

17. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

The quality of Church's today don't compare with their quality 10 years ago, let alone 30 years. Bally's Scribe is one of the top RTW shoes.
    If you are lucky you can find them NIB on ebay and maybe their outlet stores for $350-$500.

18. geepee

geepee New Member

True.
    My old Church's are fully leather lined, just great.
    I had a look and my brown brogues are scribes. In Australia they retail for about $1200. Maybe I'll look on ebay, but I like to try them on first.
    The money isn't the issue, it's just that when I spend on quality there is an expectation that they will last.

19. RmLDF

RmLDF New Member

Indeed I do have an opinion on Bally shoes -- I disagree completely with most posters in this thread and would say they are the finest shoes I've ever worn. In me Bally has a customer for life, while-ever they maintain the standards I have come to know and expect.

They are comfortable, classy, elegant and lady-like; their construction is superb and that delicate sole is apparently extremely tough -- I've never yet had to replace a Bally sole. As must the heels be strong for I am no feather-weight; and when a four-and-a-quarter inch heel is actually comfortable I pay attention! Another poster pointed out that they are not "vampy" and she's right - they're not - which is exactly why I like them ~ for they suit my personal style the way inordinately few other brands of women's shoes today can or do. They go extremely well with my preppy/classic wardrobe and I look at Bally, and Robert Clergerie, before any other brands.