1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ever have no idea what job they were interviewing for?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by FLMountainMan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

I had this happen to me last year. I'd applied for a job in June or July. I keep a "jobs applied for" log, but in August, my hard drive crashed. In November, on a Friday, I get a call to come and interview for a job. I try to fish out the position by asking the caller "this is for the...." and I'm met with silence. I awkwardly end the conversation (in hindsight, I should've just asked then).

I spend about a half-hour trying to run down what vacancy this position is. Google cache is futile. Interview is first thing Monday morning.

I walk into the interview in a suit and tie and am immediately faced with a panel of five people dressed in jeans and polos (yes, this is the first interview). I get drilled for about an hour. I actually managed the interview well, my work experience is broad enough that I know a little about a lot. I can tell one woman detests me, but the other woman likes me, and the guys seem warm.

Then, I blow it. The end of the interview comes and they ask me if I have any questions. I explain the circumstances and then ask what the job was that I applied for. The mean woman rolls her eyes and shakes her head, a couple of guys express admiration for my quick thinking. I lose the second woman though, who tells me I should've been honest about it up front.

Honestly though, things worked out for the best. I got a better job anyway.

2. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

that's rough. difficlut situation.

3. CDFS

CDFS Well-Known Member

^Actually, it's hilarious.[​IMG]

4. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

You couldn't figure it out based on the address of the place where you were interviewed?

5. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    ^Actually, it's hilarious.[​IMG]
    I agree, pretty funny. FLMM, did they at least tell you what the job was?

6. FLMountainMan

FLMountainMan Well-Known Member

You couldn't figure it out based on the address of the place where you were interviewed?

It was a large county government here in Florida. I figured it had to be something in either accounting, auditing, grants/contract management, lobbying or legal. But that was it.

I agree, pretty funny.

FLMM, did they at least tell you what the job was?

Yeah. The guys found it funny too. They said it was for senior contract manager in the purchasing department and handed me the job description. I'm sure they still tell the story of the idiot that didn't know what job he interviewed for.