1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anyone ditching Facebook over Timeline?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Feb 6, 2012.

1. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

Isn't there a privacy option to hide "older posts" in the timeline?

2. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

https://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

i fail to not log in every time i try tho .... i just wanna know ! but since they won't let me change my name (for 10th time or something) I might have to start over ......

3. otc

otc Well-Known Member

The only thing I can't get used to with the timeline is how stuff is split to the left and right of the line...Since the TOP part of the right side is fixed with friends/photos/whatever and doesn't have any posts, I end up just reading the left side which means I only see half of the updates.

I think this is key. Those posts were all there...but the only way for "normal" people to get to them was to spend an hour on your profile clicking "show more posts". Now they all show up on the timeline.

There was a privacy option to tighten up restrictions on old content...since anything I posted in 2005 was 100% visibile to my networks which at the time consisted only of my school. Now that my networks include anyone in Chicago or anyone who ever says they went to my school (since it no longer requires the .edu email), it was nice to have the quick 1-click option to lock all of those down to friends or friends-of-friends.
    I don't think there was an option to specifically delete a time range though

4. the shah

the shah Well-Known Member

is timeline required ? i don't have one

5. Gambino

Gambino Member

there's rumors fb will force everyone to timeline, within the next week or two..

6. gort

gort Well-Known Member

a year ago I made a fresh account and re-added the people I really was actual friends with. No embarrassing past for me.:nodding:

7. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

I'll stick it out with Timeline. I draw the line at Facebook charging money for having an account. That's not such a far-fetched possibility with Facebook going public.

8. hobo style

hobo style Well-Known Member

If Facebook gave the option of paying a reasonable fee to get rid of advertising and enable good privacy controls I might actually be convinced to join.

9. Joffrey

Joffrey Well-Known Member

Why would they do that when the real money is mining your data? I guess they could mine your data and charge you just so you don't get the ads on the right side of the screen.

10. imageWIS

imageWIS Well-Known Member

Or you could download Adblock for you browser and get rid of them that way. :teach:

11. hobo style

hobo style Well-Known Member

I already use Adblock and NoScript and a couple of others. The internet is so much nicer when the ads disappear...

Regarding the money to be made in data mining -- last year Facebook's revenue was $3.7 billion and they have 800 million users. That's only $4.62/user/year, and a good chunk of that is coming from revenue-sharing with companies like Zynga. If that is what our data is worth then I'm sure there are people out there who would pay a bit more than that for some better privacy controls. I'm not sure I'd ever join Facebook but as a user of various Google services I'd definitely pay them a good chunk of change to stop tracking me.

12. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Yep, that's about where I stand on this.