1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anybody not particularly like black shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quadcammer, May 5, 2011.

1. Coburn

Coburn Well-Known Member

I think black shoes are less forgiving of poor care.

Scuffs, scratches, etc are highlighted against the black background.

I find myself wearing black shoes more often.

2. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer this question:

Is is still necessary to only wear black after 5:00 pm? I have a lot of shoes that I would love to wear at night but I have usually stuck to the rule of no brown after dark. Is that now old-fashioned?

3. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

I love my black shoes. Especially my Lobb Williams and Testoni wingtips.

Wearing only black or only brown just doesn't make sense to me. Why limit your satorial and color options??? Both are classic.

4. otc

otc Well-Known Member

Blue suit with black shoes can have a bit of an airforce uniform vibe... I think it looks good, though on other days I pair a blue suit with brown shoes of various shades.

Also have to disagree with a previous poster about cheap black shoes looking good - cheap black shoes (and even corrected grain on well-known brands) usually looks indistinguishable from plastic. I think good black really showcases quality (or the lack of it) because it is apparently so hard to give depth and patina to black leather.

I was referring mostly to cheap non-corrected grain leather (which can be hard to find....certainly not on some cheap kenneth coles).

I have heard talk of some of the english makers using nicer corrected grain on some of their models that is not so bad which is the only reason I mentioned it at all.

On the cheap end, brown leather ages poorly, but black will look ok with a good polish.

5. Sazerac

Sazerac Well-Known Member

Can anyone answer this question:

Is is still necessary to only wear black after 5:00 pm? I have a lot of shoes that I would love to wear at night but I have usually stuck to the rule of no brown after dark. Is that now old-fashioned?

I have this hang up, too. Wearing brown shoes to a party in the evening or to a cocktail lounge always strikes me as wrong, like I just came from work.

I don't think there's rule about this, or there isn't any more, but I can't shake the feeling I've displeased the sartorial gods.

6. schrag

schrag Well-Known Member

No love for these? Bought them yesterday [​IMG]

Beautiful, I think some double monk straps are next on my shoe-list, but they seem very hard to find. Do you think the design would work well for someone with a high instep?

I'd not mind getting them in black either, as all my non-streetwear shoes are brown. I share the sentiment that the patina on brown shoes is more interesting, but a quality pair of well maintained black shoes with a nice cap toe or brogueing detail can still be appreciated. Of course, it's unfortunate that black is the default choice those who buy and wear cheap, scuffed and faded outlet-mall clunkers to work.

7. ajv

ajv Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of black shoes, but there are certain times/places when black is required. Think of funerals or certain very conservative workplaces.
    And versatility is essential for me, so there goes, black, brown, tan, burgundy, oxblood, green, purple, blue...etc.

Adrian

8. Icehawk

Icehawk Well-Known Member

i have a pair of brown loafers from that line. they are great no? beautiful finsh, meticulous detailing, and super comfortable [​IMG]

I'd agree although not perfect, they are definitely a step up in construction and finish over the Guccis I own. My only complaint is that one of the heels is not properly level so I may need to have a good cobbler look at that.

Beautiful, I think some double monk straps are next on my shoe-list, but they seem very hard to find. Do you think the design would work well for someone with a high instep?

Thank you, I obviously agree [​IMG] I'm not much of a single monk fan but the double, it works for me. I really like how they looked tonight paired with jeans and the lower shiny buckle showing. I got very lucky finding these and a killer deal so I coudn't pass them up.

As for fit, these are labelled an 8D - I assume this is US sizing based on my other dress shoes which are all 7.5-8 (40.5-41EU) US. I'm on the last notch of the straps and need a little break-in for these to fit well as I have a fairly wide foot and average-to-high instep, my guess is if you aren't pushing the width as much as I am then it would have a little more room for a higher instep.

Hope nobody minds, here is a full size pic inline. I need to give them a good buffing & dress some of the sole, it's amazing what cameras pick up.

[​IMG]

And to the original point of this thread - I wouldn't kick a patinated brown pair out of my closet...

9. gwolf

gwolf Well-Known Member

i like black more than brown actually. only have one very formal pair. plain toe oxford. they're so elegant.

10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

I am not a fan of black shoes, but there are certain times/places when black is required. Think of funerals or certain very conservative workplaces.
    And versatility is essential for me, so there goes, black, brown, tan, burgundy, oxblood, green, purple, blue...etc.

Adrian

That's the great thing with bespoke..

Anthony can do you any colour you do want...

I wear my racing green Delos today.

11. Digmenow

Digmenow Well-Known Member

All service dress uniforms wear black shoes.
    [​IMG] Nobody gets me. Meanwhile, I have always heard and tried to adhere to the no brown shoes after 6 PM. Maybe it's just an urban myth? No brown shoes after 6 P.M.

12. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nobody gets me.

Meanwhile, I have always heard and tried to adhere to the no brown shoes after 6 PM. Maybe it's just an urban myth?

No brown shoes after 6 P.M.

And women at that time were also confined to their kitchens...

13. Ebonyman

Ebonyman Well-Known Member

I have plenty of both. I just like the look of a freshly polished black captoe or wingtip with certain suits (navy included).

I must say though that most of my shoes are various shades of brown. My most recent purchase was a nice pair of double monk Ferrargamos.Attachment 64455
    [​IMG]

14. Chrenetique

Chrenetique Well-Known Member

Strangely, this thread compels me to buy my first pair of black shoes.

15. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Nobody gets me.

Meanwhile, I have always heard and tried to adhere to the no brown shoes after 6 PM. Maybe it's just an urban myth?

No brown shoes after 6 P.M.

I guess I missed that one.

16. lenahan

lenahan Well-Known Member

NO BROWN IN TOWN!

I largely prefer black shoes. My absolute favorite pair of shoes are my black Florsheim Brogues. I have beaten them to hell and back, but after a polish they come back to love. I love those shoes.

17. Patek

Patek Well-Known Member

NO BROWN IN TOWN!

I largely prefer black shoes. My absolute favorite pair of shoes are my black Florsheim Brogues. I have beaten them to hell and back, but after a polish they come back to love. I love those shoes.

What? Who taught you that?

It is truely a sad day when Florsheims are your favorite pair of shoes [​IMG]

18. sportin_life

sportin_life Well-Known Member

Didn't go through all the pages since this post is huge now, but a couple of my thoughts after going on a shoe shopping spree of about 20 pairs over the last year (SF addiction!):

1. Black shoes are more formal than brown
    2. Black calf looks better than black cordovan
    3. Black cordovan looks like plastic, and brown cordovan is much preferred

19. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

What? You taught you that?

It is truely a sad day when Florsheims are your favorite pair of shoes [​IMG]

Florsheims?

Ouch...

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

NO BROWN IN TOWN!

Florsheims?

Ouch...

He only has eight posts, maybe this one can be saved from SF. Leave child, save yourself!!!! Quick!!! Don't retort!!!