1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anybody feel that they aren't where they want to be at their age?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Quadcammer, Jan 8, 2012.

1. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Well-Known Member

From your own words, one can easily deduce that you'll always be dissatisfied moneywise. Shouldn't you concentrate on intangibles?

2. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Well-Known Member

settle down chief. I'm not quite sure "growing the fuck up" has anything to do with it.

not necessarily. I certainly have income targets and when I've hit them I've been pretty pleased with myself

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

And yet there is something missing. And you are not quite sure what it is.

4. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

Maybe not growing up in terms of age, but growing up in the sense of your maturity level. For a single guy you make a hell of a living considering how young you are. Now go find something to make you happy. Whether that's a significant other, a basketball league, or wine tastings every week. Engaging in comparisons where you don't know all the details and are just looking solely at lifestyle/income isn't going to benefit you at all. It's natural for people to envy other lifestyles, but you seem to dwell on them.

5. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

Stop looking at the few ahead of you, and look at the millions behind.

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Well-Known Member

Since SF is populated by a lot of successful, educated, and intelligent people it's nice to see so many people in this thread focused on the right things. Ambition is only useful insofar as it motivates you to do well and be successful for your own sake. When you start doing it to keep up with others, you are on the road to misery and disappointment.

7. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

:slayer: Can't stress this enough.

Learn to be successful on your own terms.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

+1... and if your ARE able to do that... set and reach personal goals, achieve some level of comfort&success and what I feel is perhaps most important, having a reason behind it... whether it be a spouse/partner, extended family, a personal mission like establishing a school or scholarship, writing a book, whatever.... it might sound maudlin but w/o some "larger" goal, no matter the status and material/job success one will not be truly fulfilled and thus always missing "something" (btw... I think Beck has a song about that on Guero)