1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else hate Halloween?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Connemara

Connemara Well-Known Member

I like nothing about it. I don't like costumes, I don't like the inevitable mobs of people at every bar, I don't like the pressure of finding a good costume. Generally, I avoid Halloween-related activities.

Any other haters?

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Well-Known Member

I hate haters :tounge:

I don't mind Halloween. I don't go nuts, I don't stress out over costumes, I just kinda go with the flow. I'm going to be a newsie. Easy to do costume for a SF member.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. HEARTLESS-531

HEARTLESS-531 Well-Known Member

Connemara,
    You have such rich threads and insight, but on this one brother, let's step back!
    Come on - get a good costume - something really original and throw back a few.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Well-Known Member

Is this what you meant? :nodding:

I'm not a fran either. My last Halloween costume, several years ago, was the Brad Pitt character in Fight Club. I thought it was pretty good, but no one got it. I was so emotionally scarred that I haven't dressed up since.

5. HomerJ

HomerJ Well-Known Member

I don't get adults who are "in to" Halloween.

It is an excuse for women to dress like total sluts though and of that I approve. :satisfied:

In fact I will be going to a few costume parties this year... But I still harumph.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. jhaneash

jhaneash Member

Personally i'm not that fussed about halloween or people celebrating it. Its fun when your a kid but thats about it.

7. meliehussein

meliehussein Member

Not that bothered by halloween but i do buy candy for any kids that knock on my door. It should be just a kids holiday really.

8. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

I dislike Halloween. I dislike costuming as well. What I particularly dislike, though, is that the vigil one of the holiest days in the Christian year, the Feast of All Saints, has been turned into a festival of the grotesque, macabre and slutty. (Not that I have too much against "slutty.") Traditional Halloween stuff--black cats, pumpkins, old witches, etc.--is kind of cute, but some neighborhood displays are just grotesque and repulsive--dismembered bodies, rotting cadavers, that kind of thing. Giving candy to the trick-or-treaters is sort of fun, but I usually end up with a lot candy I don't want. I shun most candy.

9. whiteslashasian

Old man alert! :laugh:

In Dec, Jan will be hatin' on Christmas, or at least the bastardized consumer holiday that has become of the celebration of the birth of Christ. Oh lawd ha' mercy.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  10. sns23

sns23 Well-Known Member

I have never been a fan of Halloween.

11. burningbright

burningbright Well-Known Member

Then I must be old too. :)

I think Jan and I may be the only resident Anglicans in all of SF. I'd say we're an easy going lot who enjoy drinking and smoking as much as the next heathen but also take umbrage when things we consider sacred or important are co-opted by others who profane or dilute their meaning. As Americans it's, of course, one's right to exercise their freedom in this way, but as a Christian I'm not the biggest fan of how holy days have been conflated with what amounts to secular consumerism and/or debauchery. I can't help but think of the cleansing of the Temple where Jesus literally creates a whip to drive the money-changers out of the temple courts. It's the only incident in all of Scripture where Jesus actually employs physical violence. :teach:

That said, I don't mind the more innocent and innocuous aspects of the Halloween of yesteryear. Give me some "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", kids trick-or-treating and pumpkin carving (and the roasted pumpkin seeds that go with it) and I'm fine with it being an American cultural tradition based primarily on nostalgia. It's the ramping up of the aforementioned grotesqueries (and I'm not just talking about the inflatable lawn decorations) in the past 20 years though that I have little patience for, including grown women with no sense of propriety dressing in whatever the slutty costume du jour is for that year. Yes, I enjoy leering at scantily clad women as much as the next sinner, but there's just something inherently wrong about taking a tradition that has been and should primarily be for children and either sexualizing it or turning it into the next direct to DVD slasher movie.

/grumpy old man rant

12. whiteslashasian

I just treat it like any other costume party; be it on "Halloween" or not.

I've never celebrated "All Saints Day" and don't intend to start. I'm no catholic, nor really even a christian. I suppose I have my own way of viewing religion and spirituality outside the context of most established religions. Therefore dressing up for fun, drinks, and a good time with women is no issue for me.

I can definitely see how bb and JLib would take offense. Just be glad for your own eyes and memory that it's not me wearing the skimpy outfits!

13. burningbright

burningbright Well-Known Member

I dunno. Alex Trebek looks like he'd cut a pretty nice figure in a French maid outfit. :hide:

14. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

What do you get when you take the inside out of a hot dog?

A hollow wiener! :rimshot:

It seems like it's the most enthusiastically celebrated "holiday" in LA. Large sections of streets are sectioned off for people to walk around and buy bad food from food trucks. Stages are built for really horrible rap acts to perform - the PA systems are cranked up so much that all you hear is indecipherable distortion laden...yuckiness.

15. soccerdude

soccerdude Member

The only things I don't like about Halloween is when people make it into a malicious holiday, instead of something fun for children and adults alike.

16. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan, and never have been. I don't give out candy, either.

17. MikeDT

MikeDT Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  18. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

At least one commentator suggested we institute a new holiday "Slut Day," when women can dress in whatever slutty outfits they choose, and give Halloween back to the little kids.

According to my mother, who was born in 1919, the custom of trick or treating was only instituted during the 1930s. Prior to that, it was just a night of vandalism and malicious mischief. In some parts of the country, the vandalism and mischief were transferred to the night of October 30. I have heard this referred to as "Devil's Night" or "Goosey Night." It seems to be more an Eastern thing. I have never heard of it being practiced in Southern California.

19. fwiffo

fwiffo Well-Known Member

I stopped trick or treating at age 10 and gave out candy. I still saw people from school until they age 16. I'm wearing a three piece to work on Monday so I reckon people will think I'm in costume.

20. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Halloween is people's best excuse to express their lack of taste.