1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any other fountain pen users here? ...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cmeisenzahl, Jun 16, 2007.

1. rherreid

rherreid Active Member

I love pens. Men get so few opportunities to accessorize. The greatest thing about your pen is that you use it to get deals done. Damn few things in life as fulfilling as transacting a deal.

I'm not to the point of matching my pen with my clothing... But I love it when my pen featuring some marbled blue coloring matches with my blue watch and blue in my clothes. I also have a very nice green pen, but I don't wear green very often.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Well-Known Member

3. Garfieldthecat

Garfieldthecat Well-Known Member

I've got:

Mount Blanc 146 Fine nib
    Aurora 88 Fine nib
    Pelikan M805 Fine nib

Here's a good website for FP discussion:

Fountain Pen Network

Lot's of good advice and reviews of both pens and ink.

4. mano

mano Well-Known Member

I collect fountain pens, but I use them all (as much as possible). I have a lot of vintage Mont Blancs (don't care for the new ones)

What do you consider a "new" MB and why don't you care for them? You're not alone in your opinion, but I'm not clear why many pen aficionados dislike MB.

FWIW, for the past 20 years my daily writer at work is a MB 146 that's never given me a lick of trouble. My prior pen was a sleek MB with a stainless steel case.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Pen collectors tend to see them as tacky and ubiquitous. Like collectors of any genre, they have their own snobbery to attend to.

Also, there were some quality issues with the so-called "Precious Resin".

6. Jerry52

Jerry52 Well-Known Member

Where are some of the best retail pen stores? And is liking an upper quality ball-point pen considered not so cool? The advantage being that a ballpoint cartridge tends to leak less and last longer...

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Well-Known Member

Where are some of the best retail pen stores? And is liking an upper quality ball-point pen considered not so cool? The advantage being that a ballpoint cartridge tends to leak less and last longer...

Joon and Fountain Pen Hospital are great. Where are you located?

http://www.joonpens.com/about.php
    http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/

8. Jerry52

Jerry52 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the links. I occasionally get to cities like Tulsa or Kansas City but I don't actually live too close to a major city. I may travel to Houston soon and might check out a good pen store there if I can find one. I know there's a pretty exciting pen kiosk in the Charlotte airport. I spent a half hour drooling there recently!

9. Willsw

Willsw Well-Known Member

And is liking an upper quality ball-point pen considered not so cool? The advantage being that a ballpoint cartridge tends to leak less and last longer...

I don't really notice a significant difference between a BIC stick pen and any of the higher end ballpoints I've tried (and I actually prefer the extreme minimalism of the BIC in most cases). Fountain pens and rollerballs are just so much smoother, though Uni-Ball did do something with hybrid ink resulting in the very smooth Jetstream.

I would like to know of any less expensive (under $50) older flexible nibs to be commonly had on ebay or in the vintage racks at the brick and mortar stores.

10. explore

explore New Member

omas bronze arco and sailor 1911, both with custom italic nib by john mottishaw... amazing... [​IMG]

11. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

I don't really notice a significant difference between a BIC stick pen and any of the higher end ballpoints I've tried (and I actually prefer the extreme minimalism of the BIC in most cases). Fountain pens and rollerballs are just so much smoother, though Uni-Ball did do something with hybrid ink resulting in the very smooth Jetstream.

I, and many pen afficionados, find the opposite to be true: the oil-based ink of ballpoint pens generally makes for a smoother stroke. Rollerball and fountain pens, with their water-based inks, make for "scratchier" writing. That doesn't make them less cool, but it is what it is. I've heard many a pen collector claim that some cheap ballpoints write more smoothly than their most cherrished collectibles, and I'd agree. Just like mechanical watches [​IMG] , one uses these outdated technologies not because they're the best or most accurate, but because there's something endearing about the craftsmanship that went into them.

12. Willsw

Willsw Well-Known Member

I think we may have our own definitions of smoothness, and I think I understand what you're talking about. Maybe because I almost never use them, but there is always this strange feeling of resistance when I use ballpoints, probably because of the amount of pressure I have to apply to get a line that I like. With rollers and fountains I can use a light touch and still have a satisfactory line.

Also, the sheen of the oil-based ink I have never liked.

13. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

I think we may have our own definitions of smoothness, and I think I understand what you're talking about. Maybe because I almost never use them, but there is always this strange feeling of resistance when I use ballpoints, probably because of the amount of pressure I have to apply to get a line that I like. With rollers and fountains I can use a light touch and still have a satisfactory line.

Hmmm....you may be right. Perhaps what we're talking about is not "smoothness," but rather "the feel we like." It may sound overly obvious, but....

14. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

omas bronze arco and sailor 1911, both with custom italic nib by john mottishaw... amazing... [​IMG]

John Mottishaw customized the nib on my Omas Arco Cellulioid to match a late 20s Parker Duofold of mine. Yes, amazing is the word for it.

15. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I, and many pen afficionados, find the opposite to be true: the oil-based ink of ballpoint pens generally makes for a smoother stroke. Rollerball and fountain pens, with their water-based inks, make for "scratchier" writing. That doesn't make them less cool, but it is what it is. I've heard many a pen collector claim that some cheap ballpoints write more smoothly than their most cherrished collectibles, and I'd agree. Just like mechanical watches [​IMG] , one uses these outdated technologies not because they're the best or most accurate, but because there's something endearing about the craftsmanship that went into them.

I have never found ballpoints smooth or to offer enough resistance to allow any kind of control while writing, so I find both your takes on ballpoints completely foreign to my experience.

During high school, I was continually frustrated to the point of tears by the tendency of ballpoints to wander of in any direction and to poop out blobs of greasy ink every few seconds. The only way I could ever get a modicum of control over a ballpoint was to cushion the writing surface with several sheets of paper and press hard to get enough resistance to keep the pen tip from skittering all over the page. I believe using ballpoints set back my penmanship skills by a few years.

I consider the ballpoint a complete and unmitigated failure of technology. They promote poor penmanship, disposables have habituated people to losing pens, and they have a tendency to explode and destroy things with their oil-based ink. (People have the bizarre idea that fountain pens explode. Leak, perhaps, but explode, no. Ballpoints explode. Art museums generally have a no-fountain pen rule on the pretext that fountain pens explode, but it actually probably dates from the age of lever fillers, which could be used like squirt guns.)

16. ortolan

ortolan Well-Known Member

I occasionally use my Montegrappa Extra... it has an extra large (manly) nib. With this pen, I use Private Reserve Plum (purple) ink.

[​IMG]

The nicer pens don't see any ink... unfortunately.

--ortolan

17. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I have hardly any modern FPs because I find their nibs 'uninteresting', even a stub/italic only holds my interest for so long, and whatever Mottishaw/Binder does to modern nibs is not comparable to a good vintage flexible nib - the Omas 'super'flexibles were disappointing.

18. ortolan

I must respectfully disagree with you on the ballpoints - they feel slow to my hand, much like playing a piano with a heavy action. Uniball makes one of the finest disposable rollerball pens, greatly exceeding the Pilot rollerballs, which also exceed that of most ballpoint pens. I concur with Willsw. I use Uniballs almost exclusively, unless I am using my Montegrappa Extra, which also flows like a dream. BTW, the Uniball "Vision" line is especially nice.

--ortolan

19. chobochobo

chobochobo Well-Known Member

I don't have any 'high end' ballpoint pens and just one MB rollerball - I find it a little silly when the refill is doing all the 'work' and as others have said, the 'disposables' do a much better job.

20. ortolan

I have hardly any modern FPs because I find their nibs 'uninteresting', even a stub/italic only holds my interest for so long, and whatever Mottishaw/Binder does to modern nibs is not comparable to a good vintage flexible nib - the Omas 'super'flexibles were disappointing.

Speaking of interesting nibs, I used at one time a Platinum Music pen, with the triple tine, dual channel ink flow. It was kind of scratchy so I stopped using it. Here's a picture of the nib.

[​IMG]

-- ortolan