1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Notreknip

Notreknip Well-Known Member

Looking good gents. Keep it up! Someday I'll play too.

2. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

So here we have my trusty beaters, the Red Wings. Notice that they look rather beat up, which is appropriate since I do tend to neglect them. Haven't done much except a quick wipe every week or so, but before I put them in storage (hmmm, will that be in May or June...) I'll need to pamper them a bit.

[​IMG]

I'll have something much nicer tomorrow, even though it looks like the slush is here once again...

Those C&J monks are truly a thing of beauty, absolutely stunning!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Unregistered

Unregistered Well-Known Member

Even though those are beaters, they look fantastic! I couldn't do the sharp contrast between your trousers and the boot's colour though :)

My beloved Vass cognac shell cordovan PTBs today. P2 last with contrast welt stitching.

[​IMG]

4. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

Oh, I usually change out of the Red Wings into something else. Haven't been too bothered about colour coordination this year, today's trousers definitely do not match my jacket but I'll survive :) When things calm down a bit I'll work on a few combos for Spring - need to change the rotation soon.

Speaking of rotation - the final pair in my 5+1 weekly roster and my all-time Winter faves, Trickers Malton. Had them a few years now, absolute tanks.

[​IMG]

I'm curious, how do the Vass fit/feel? Did you email them measurements, or did you visit the Budapest shop? I'll be in Europe this Autumn, tempted to make a stop in Hungary.

5. Tequila Jay

Tequila Jay Member

[​IMG]
    Weekend running around with AE's Broad Streets.

6. Unregistered

I picked up all my Vass here. The PTB were a pay it forward kind of thing from an awesome member here as they didn't fit him.

the P2 last is the most comfortable pair of shoes I own. I'm a 40.5 in the P2 and U last. 7.5 in Rain, Inca, all C&J. 8 in AE 5 and 8.5 in all other AE.

Tweedy day today. AE Fifth Aves in chocolate suede.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

That is rather unexpected, after the AE debacle I only order online when I already know the last and how it fits me. Nothing against buying from another member, pleasantly surprised the Vass fit you; I think I'd get them MTO if I were to buy from them, not much of a price difference and I am absolutely positive my left foot is bigger/wider than my right, so it would provide real value for me.

Well, I'm moving offices next week so no additions to the rotation until then :( But speaking of tweed..
    .[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  8. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

So the move to the new office is almost done with; everything is still in boxes, except my PC. At some point I will take the time to re-do the office rotation, always an exciting time of the year!

Will be out of town next week, heading to New Orleans for a conference; any tips re. shopping are appreciated. Last time I was there, 2 years ago, I remember being very underwhelmed with the service I received in Brooks Brothers - they tried to sell me a pair of XL shoe trees (and they were quite insistent on it, as well), when I had just tried on several pairs of shoes in a 9.5...

9. Unregistered

Wow. Been a long time since I posted here. Sorry, been busy!

Since the snow is back, I'm back to my AEs.

Bonus pic today, cross post from the affiliate thread... New shirt from Spier and Mackay. Very happy given the price! Sam Hober grenadine grossa SF club tie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

What's the suit? I really like the lapels, even though they're wider than what I usual wear.

Back in town, just in time to finalise my itinerary for my worktrip next week. Looking forward to doing some shopping in Tokyo - go go yen deflation!!

11. Unregistered

Damn. Sorry for letting this thread die out again!

Nice weather means the Vass can come out and play.

[​IMG]

It's the Washington cut from suitsupply! I'm really liking their suits.

12. Unregistered

Yesterday. Phone somehow didn't manage to capture all the snow coming down...

[​IMG]

13. Notreknip

Notreknip Well-Known Member

Forget snow falling, I had tears falling after watching McDavid go into the boards.

14. Unregistered

That's what happens when he's the only reason people have hopes in the Oilers. Though I still think the team is pretty shitty. Can't say much though for I'm a Leafs fan. Not by choice of course.

Today... Carmina wholecuts in Rain.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Edmonton

Edmonton Well-Known Member

Good day, fellow gentlemen of Edmonton and expats. And the wannabees from Calgary, Saskatoon, or wherever else you're lurking from. [​IMG]

I've been looking for a local distributor of Saphir leather care products without any luck. Has anyone seen a source in Alberta, or Canada for that matter?

16. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

Hi there, way too late for relevancy but just in case, I've not seen Saphir anywhere in Edmonton. I normally get my stuff from Pediwear.co.uk, never had any issues with them. With the current exchange rate it's a bit less palatable but beggars etc etc.

17. Edmonton

Edmonton Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply anyway.

I found that O'Connors in Calgary carries the Saphir line, although they don't usually stock Renomat and were temporarily out of stock of Renovateur when I stopped in there on Thursday. Their prices are excellent. $17 for Renovateur compared to $30 + $10 S&H at the Hangar Project. If anyone here ever wants me to pick up some supplies, I'm in Calgary usually once every two weeks. PM me.

PSA: O'Connors has a selection of Alden shell cordovan for ~ $775/pair. They can offer this price because they were purchased before the dollar crashed. They'll maintain this price for current stock but once that's gone they'll be in excess of $1000.

1 person likes this.
  18. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

What's the shopping scene like in Edmonton these days?

I heard Haven closed and not sure what else is around as far as casual wear goes (think Engineered Garments, Gitman etc).

19. phoni

phoni Well-Known Member

Dunno really, Gravity Pope seems to be where the 'cool' people go. Simons has some Gitman stuff but I'm not keen on most of their offerings (not paying $150 for a t-shirt). Harry Rosen was stocking some random streetwear a while back, have not been in a while though.

For jeans I sometimes go to High Grade in WEM, next to Simons. Wait for the sales and there's some decent pickups (Nudie/Naked mainly). Couple more shops that might be considered trendy in that corner of the mall. Most of my shopping is done during business trips so someone more knowledgeable might want to chime in.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016