1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any other Edmontonians here?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by FidelCashflow, Jan 4, 2009.

1. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Nearly got in a fight along Whyte last night because I was wearing a suit at the bar... fucking blue collars.

2. springer23

springer23 Active Member

Soooo...uhhhhhh...Da Capo? [​IMG]

SF Edmontonians for Drinks/coffee at Da Capo? I'd be in for that sometime.

Nearly got in a fight along Whyte last night because I was wearing a suit at the bar... fucking blue collars.

That's Edmonton for ya, If I wear a blazer and nice shoes on whyte ave I guarantee snide comments at best and face breaking at worst. The city is home to the douche-iest collection of blue collar bar-goers known to Canada.

3. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

What are most of the blue collars in edm proper? Construction?

4. rennavate

rennavate Well-Known Member

Many, sure. But trades in general "” plumbing, electricians, carpenters, roofing, and so on.

5. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

It'd be kind of surprising if there were enough plumbers and electricians to have developed a reputation as a group for being douchebags. Thing is with the guys working for construction companies, attacking a guy in a suit, it's particularly stupid - how do you know he can't make one phone call in a town like Edmonton and get you fired? Good luck feeding your family now...

6. rennavate

I don't disagree. 8 of my friends are plumbers, though. 8. They aren't douches who would chirp at you for wearing a suit, however.

7. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

Yeah, somehow I doubt Edmonton has more pipes and roofs than any other city of comparable size. Think a little, people.

8. rennavate

Yeah, somehow I doubt Edmonton has more pipes and roofs than any other city of comparable size. Think a little, people.

Wasn't suggesting that, if that was directed at me.

9. jim5467

jim5467 Active Member

I think we may have more pipes given the number of oil refineries in the vicinity.

10. holymadness

holymadness Well-Known Member

Wasn't suggesting that, if that was directed at me.
    Then what were you suggesting? Since it's pretty clear that Edmonton doesn't have more plumbers than Calgary, that can't be the reason for its blue-collarness.

11. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Well-Known Member

Then what were you suggesting? Since it's pretty clear that Edmonton doesn't have more plumbers than Calgary, that can't be the reason for its blue-collarness.
    It is mostly incest that makes Edmonton more blue-collar than Calgary.

12. rennavate

AR_Six asked, "What are most of the blue collars in edm proper? Construction?" and what I was trying to communicate was that I think it's simply a large number of tradesmen in general, not limited to construction workers. I probably didn't articulate that as well as I wanted to.

13. tomgirl

tomgirl Well-Known Member

It's all of the goddamn rig pigs that come in from "up north" or "Whitecourt" or some other god forsaken blue collar camp ground town in order to get their drink/fuck/drug on before they've got to go back to work and make more money than their pea-sized brains know what to do with. Those are the douchiest ones on Whyte Avenue/anywhere else, in my opinion. It's also difficult to find a guy in Edmonton who was actually born and raised there nowadays. In my experience, the majority of the current douches are ignorant transients who came to rape and pillage the city because no other city in their right mind would hire them.

/rant over.

Also, why won't this thread DIE!?

14. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

TG, this is now the official Edmonton thread.

I believe the reason the 'Chuk has so many blue collars is because of the refineries and upgraders in the area, and the fact that many, many folks who work further north in the sands, conventional, and so on live in Edmonton. I always think of it this way: Calgary makes the decisions, Edmonton provides the raw labour.

15. tomgirl

tomgirl Well-Known Member

The fact that Edmonton still haunts me via SF kind of hurts. It really does. I mean, where are the Regina/Saskatoon threads? WHERE!?

16. rennavate

The fact that Edmonton still haunts me via SF kind of hurts. It really does. I mean, where are the Regina/Saskatoon threads? WHERE!?

Do you still live in Edmonton, tomgirl?

Also, raises hand for a guy who was born and raised in Edmonton. Although whether I stay here in the next few years is the question...

17. AR_Six

AR_Six Well-Known Member

It's all of the goddamn rig pigs that come in from "up north" or "Whitecourt" or some other god forsaken blue collar camp ground town in order to get their drink/fuck/drug on before they've got to go back to work and make more money than their pea-sized brains know what to do with.
    This was sort of my suspicion when I asked the question.

18. unjung

unjung Well-Known Member

Not a lot of hometown pride for you, eh?

19. johnH123

johnH123 Well-Known Member

It's all of the goddamn rig pigs that come in from "up north" or "Whitecourt" or some other god forsaken blue collar camp ground town in order to get their drink/fuck/drug on before they've got to go back to work and make more money than their pea-sized brains know what to do with. Those are the douchiest ones on Whyte Avenue/anywhere else, in my opinion. It's also difficult to find a guy in Edmonton who was actually born and raised there nowadays. In my experience, the majority of the current douches are ignorant transients who came to rape and pillage the city because no other city in their right mind would hire them. /rant over. Also, why won't this thread DIE!?
    ^^^ This. Not all the rig pigs are bad though, a lot of the problems with them have to do with the fact that they are either loaded or high for most of their weekends in Edmonton. Hard to blame them though, if you spend weeks on end in work camps up North and then get a weekend to unwind you're tempted to go all-out. I have ended up in bars where I've met some of these guys and end up drinking with them all night...they sure know how to party. And they buy all your drinks too, so they aren't all bad.
    Regina and Saskatoon just as sketchy as Edmonton, in my opinion. In fact, most major prairie cities are pretty rough and grimy with the possible exception of Calgary (and even then...it's borderline).
    I 'nearly get in a fight' every time I go down there. So many dickheads in one area, the worse nights are UFC fight nights. Oilers games can be bad too, but everyone is just so used to them losing that it's not worth getting pissy and violent over anymore.

20. Radagast

Radagast Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011