1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

Depends on if you care whether it's a scotch or you just want to give them something nummy to sip on.

2. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

Depends on if you care whether it's a scotch or you just want to give them something nummy to sip on.

i'm looking for something nummy, but scotch is ok.

3. kwilkinson

i'm looking for something nummy, but scotch is ok.

In the under $50 area there are some really great options.
    non scotch:
    Woodford Reserve
    Wild Turkey
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Buffalo Trace
    Elijah Craig 18 yr bourbon
    Blanton's (will be right at $50)

scotch:
    Yamazaki 12 yr (never tried it, heard great things)
    Caol Ila 12 yr
    Balvenie 12 yr
    Macallan Fine Oak
    Cragganmore and Macallan 12 yr

I think those are all pretty good choices.

4. indesertum

In the under $50 area there are some really great options.
    non scotch:
    Woodford Reserve
    Wild Turkey
    Four Roses Single Barrel
    Buffalo Trace
    Elijah Craig 18 yr bourbon
    Blanton's (will be right at $50)

scotch:
    Yamazaki 12 yr (never tried it, heard great things)
    Caol Ila 12 yr
    Balvenie 12 yr
    Macallan Fine Oak
    Cragganmore and Macallan 12 yr

I think those are all pretty good choices.

what about non scotch non bourbon. i've tried 3 of the ones on your list, but i guess i'm not a bourbon person. too sweet.

i'd like to try yamazaki, but none around here and shipping is pretty expensive

5. kwilkinson

what about non scotch non bourbon. i've tried 3 of the ones on your list, but i guess i'm not a bourbon person. too sweet.

i'd like to try yamazaki, but none around here and shipping is pretty expensive

If it's not dark, my advice is worthless. All I do is keep pimping North Shore Gin. I don't really like vodka or rum. But there is a lot of advice on here about gin, vodka, rum, and everything else that other people have given.

6. indesertum

If it's not dark, my advice is worthless. All I do is keep pimping North Shore Gin. I don't really like vodka or rum. But there is a lot of advice on here about gin, vodka, rum, and everything else that other people have given.

oh i mean whiskey that's not scotch or bourbon. i guess that's a little specific, but i was looking towards maybe rye. i'm not sure what other whiskeys are out there.

7. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

i'm looking to give a graduation present for someone. i'm not exactly rich, but i'm looking for good bang for buck. i was thinking of the laphroaig 10 for almost $50 or some sarzerac 6 at a nearby store, but anybody have some good suggestions?

Depends if the recipient is a Scotch drinker or not... if not, Laphroaig might be too much of a peaty blast for them.

8. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Well-Known Member

I've got a Balvenie 12 yr. old single malt at home that's absolutely calling my name...

9. bc78

bc78 Well-Known Member

Depends if the recipient is a Scotch drinker or not... if not, Laphroaig might be too much of a peaty blast for them.

Agreed. I love laprhroaig but a Talisker 10 or Highland Park 12 might be a safer bet.

10. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

If you can find it, the Sazerac 18 yr old rye is around $65 after tax. Otherwise, I would probably suggest The Balvenie doublewood (scotch).

11. oDD_LotS

oDD_LotS Well-Known Member

The doublewood is killer! It's a little oddly colored, but so, so good.

12. Homme

Homme Well-Known Member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

I love his reviews.

13. ThomasoAIK

ThomasoAIK Well-Known Member

Saw this whiskey today and after all of connes stupidly funny threks i was thinking about buying it.

[​IMG]

But is Connemara any god or should i stick to Jameson when i want irish whiskey?

14. IUtoSLU

IUtoSLU Well-Known Member

Rye. Look for Sazerac or Rittenhouse. It isn't as sweet as bourbon and doesn't have the peat of scotch. This is why it is my favorite.

15. ama

ama Well-Known Member

Saw this whiskey today and after all of connes stupidly funny threks i was thinking about buying it.

[​IMG]

But is Connemara any god or should i stick to Jameson when i want irish whiskey?

I like it a lot. Its a little (compared to a scotch) smokey/iodiney so you have to know what you are getting into. That being said, I think it has a great deal more flavor than most Irish whiskeys.

16. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Yah, Conne is, I believe the only peated Irish. The Cask Strength is mmmmmmmmGoood.

~ H

17. ThomasoAIK

ThomasoAIK Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice whiskey but where i live there is lots of other good bottles in the same price range like the caol ila 12 and cragganmore 12 that my taste buds realy like.

18. hws

hws Well-Known Member

Scotch: Talisker 18, Glenlivet Archive 21, and Japanese: Suntory &quot;Yamazaki&quot; 18, single malt whisky good. Jameson blended whiskey good for Irish car bomb drink. Number like 18 and 21 sound like underage girl reference.

19. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Well-Known Member

The Talisker 18yr is becoming surprisingly difficult to find these days. It is very likely Diageo discontinued that bottling so snatch em up while you can. Laphroaig 15yr was also replaced by a new 2009 bottling of an 18yr.

20. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member

I have only a limited experience though I really like single malts a lot (champagne and sm whiskey are my fav alc drinks)..yet, I think its somehow a life's pursuit of study, anyway... I quite liked Lagavulin (16) and esp. Laphroaig (all actually though the ten yr old isn't what it once was- when I first tasted it in the beginning of the 90s); Bowmore (12y.) was a bit disappointing to me, very grassy/sea-weedy-salty, I really like the more peaty stuff...I'd like to taste some older one, though. From the more mellow ones I liked Glenrothes; Knockando was "fun" and nutty, Highland Parc was a bit too mellow at first though very good and complex later but not 100% to my taste either...I'd actually like to try some Port Ellen (from 70s/early 80s) next...or some Old Puteney (more widely available)..