1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. djblisk

djblisk Well-Known Member

Hey Buds,

Costco has Hibiki 17 for $120. Call around. I got a couple of bottles at the Soma location in SF. They are also at the South San Francisco location in Daly City.

They also have Hibiki 12 for $60 but who cares, the 17 has never been imported in the US and the prices is cheaper than duty free at the airport.

1 person likes this.
  2. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

It's still pretty pricey, considering Japan duty free is 8500 JPY which is about $70. For $120 there are better alternatives out there

3. mjstamos1

mjstamos1 Active Member

Had a tumbler of this last night... Very nice!
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. djblisk

Duty Free for Hibiki 17 is only 8500 JPY? You sure about that? I don't think so.

5. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Cant go wrong with the price too.

6. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I'm sure, I've been buying it for years and go to Japan multiples times a year. It used to be 6500 JPY but they raised the price in the past year to 8500

This past trip was the first time that all Suntory stock was sold out....

7. MrG

MrG Well-Known Member

On This Lonely Road, Tryin' to Make it Home
    I'd like to pick up a bottle as part of a gift for my brother, who will be graduating from law school next week. I'm not a Scotch drinker, so I don't really know what I'm doing. He's mentioned he likes single malt, and he's specifically talked about Glenlivet and Macallan. I was thinking about picking him up a bottle of Glenlivet 18, but I came upon a bottle of Yamazaki 12 and have heard that's solid, as well.

Any of you Scotch drinkers care to give a whiskey-with-an-e man some advice? I'd be interested in thoughts on how the two I mentioned compare, and I'm open to other ideas, as well. I'm looking to spend about $100, if that helps.

8. jcman311

jcman311 Well-Known Member

Glenlivet and Macallan (along with Glenfiddich) are probably most recognized single malts here in the states. The Glen 18 is nice but personally I would prefer the Yamazaki. The Glen 18 is kind of a honey flowery dram thats subtle and rather light. The Yamazaki is more sherried and sweeter with some sulfury notes. Heavier in color (darker) and flavor. Now if you really wanted to be a good brother (and spend a little extra) I'd give the Glenlivet 21. Proabably the whisky that started the fire in me. Its more like a well refined Yamazaki.

A few posts above has another name that puts out some good whiskies along the lines of Macallan and thats Glendronach, Their 12 and 15 would be in your price range and both are excellent. The Glendronachs could draw comparison to the Macallan but at a cheaper price.

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I tend to agree, I think if your going to like Macallan you would probably like Yamazaki 12. I think Yamazaki is much more interesting than Macallan 12 personally.

When it comes to buying scotches for people I tend to stick with what they're known to enjoy rather than to select something else, unless they really need to brought up to par. Not all "scotch drinkers" are scotch enthusiasts and so not everyone wants variety, but instead they may prefer just to stick with what they like.

10. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

I find Macallan 18 sort of . . . boring. Like the Davidoff of whiskies. Perfectly competent and balanced, without discernable flaw. But booooring.

But then, I'm a big Laphroaig fan. If I want Sherry cask, I much prefer something like Aberlour A'bunadh. Depending on the batch, it is either good or fantastic.

Last edited: May 18, 2015
    3 people like this.
  11. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

I concur with the other comments following your post. My suggestion would be to get something a little more interesting than the Glenlivet and Macallan, without getting too far into whiskies that he may not like/appreciate. Thus, I'd stay away from heavily sherried whiskies and heavily peated/smoky whiskies and instead look for a well-regarded and well-known distillery that is a little more boutique than Glenlivet or Macallan. A good choice would be Highland Park 12 (or 18 if your budget allows). Likewise, I'd recommend the Springbank 10 (or better yet, the Longrow 10), or if your budget allows, the 18 year old versions of either of these. With a touch more peat, but still well-loved by those who aren't peat fans: Oban 14. An excellent bridge between traditional highland whiskies and their more peated brethren.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

You can add Old Pulteney 12 (or 17) to the list, a well priced and highly underrated malt...

13. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

A'bunadh was a crowd pleaser, but my heart still belongs to the Laphroaig 18.

3 people like this.
  14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

The A'bunadh has changed my opinion of scotch. I fear :foo: has turned me onto another expensive hobby...

4 people like this.
  15. heldentenor

heldentenor Well-Known Member

I'd concur with the recommendations of Highland Park (15 is the best of a very good bunch, IMHO) and add Balvenie 15 to your list as well. If he likes Speysides like Macallan, these will be well within his comfort zone but add a little variety to his palate.

16. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

17. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

You can find pretty reasonable prices for scotch at NY warehouse wine and spirits.

1 person likes this.
  18. djblisk

19. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Oban 18, nice!

The 14 never did much for me, but the 18 is worlds apart from it.

20. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I thought the Oban was nice, but in a kind of a middle of the road way.