1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

if you like more sherry

but damn imagine if the DE was cask strength. im drooling thinking about it

with holiday season you might be able to find shops with free shipping. i bought the solist by looking on winesearcher and the store with the best price was also offering a shipping discount

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  2. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

I wish everything was available in cask strength... :drool:

3 people like this.
  3. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

If you haven't had the 16, I'd just start with that.

It's not such a huge difference from Oogy, just more subtle peat (and that's just because Oogy is a huge peat bomb).

This taste profile map might be helpful. See what kind of stuff you've tried before, what's similar, and where you can branch out. I had another version with more malts, but can't find it anymore.

This guy gets it. I'm finding that I just prioritize cask strength stuff in general. A'bundah is cask strength, Oogy and Corryvrecken are cask strength, and I love Laphroaig 10 cask strength. Now most of my favorite bourbons/ryes are cask strength too. Clynelish and Oban DE are some of the non-cask strength ones that make the list, and they shine on balance and texture. If you're going for flavor, CS is the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  4. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Solist, I opened this little one tonight; really nice and intense stuff:
    [​IMG]

Also, while the bottle and package omit the Solist name, I'm pretty sure that's what it is as it's listed at 57%.

2 people like this.
  5. indesertum

Somebody told me earlier today the name solist (soloist in german) just indicates that it's a single cask and they all have different finishes but they also make small batch whiskeys. It's why in the databases there's so many different bottles even in the same year

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  6. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

That makes total sense. I was just guessing based on descriptions of the ex-bourbon Solist at 57% versus the regular ex-bourbon at around 46%.

1 person likes this.
  7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

This happened to me as well, the past four years or so I've moved toward mostly peaty whiskies. I have a few exceptions to that, but none are ex-port or Sauternes cask.

My mainstay are sherried islays.

8. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Had the Ballantine's 30 Year Old today. Excellent.

9. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

^ This is Taiwanese. Nice stuff… I know it well. :slayer:

I cracked one of these the other day and it was my first time trying it. Nice, but I wasn't blown away… I'll have to try it again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  10. LucasFilms

LucasFilms Well-Known Member

Drinking Glenmorangie right now

11. indesertum

[​IMG]

this is by far one of the grossest things i've ever tried and one of the worst purchases i've ever made

it starts off ok with thick sherry and that familiar malt sweetness that is quite nice and shows potential. it ends in this gross diesel, fake leather, new car plastic smell that is really disgusting.

remind me not to buy random whiskeys without trying them first. could it be bottle sickness or something and will eventually get better? really tempted to email kavalan or the shop i bought it from and see what they might say.

12. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

there's good pizza, great pizza, and even ok pizza, but it's got to be really really bad for you to say it's bad pizza. Scotch on the other hand, well... there's plenty of bad stuff out there and if you've never heard of it and it's under about $60, it better be Irish or Bourbon (I don't even count Canadian stuff).

(not that I'm saying Ka Va Lan is cheap, just sayin' IMO blind buying Scotch is a little riskay)

13. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Got a bottle of Lava DE; I figured I could try the regular 16 any time but this stuff is selling quickly here. I'll return it if I try the 12 or 16 this week and get blown away.

Looking at grabbing a few cheaper bottles. Laphroaig Quarter Cask and the Highland Park Dark origins next time I'm at the BCL

14. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I have one of those and it has a similar profile

1 person likes this.
  15. indesertum

dang. i am sad. was really looking to it

16. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I like the regular Kavalan for everyday drinking and prefer the bourbon cask over the sherry

1 person likes this.
  17. indesertum

good advice thanks. read a lot of good things about the sherry cask and figured the variation between casks wouldnt be too bad. guess i was totally wrong.

also i realized just awhile ago that I was sent the wrong bottle as the packaging is different and the label does not specify Solist. Also a little confused because I thought Solist referred to their single casks, but this one also appears to be a single cask

18. guccihomme

guccihomme Well-Known Member

I drink Laphroig. I've tried them all and can't find any with more flavor, peat, and smoke. I love smelling an empty glass when done. It pairs nice with Japanese food.

19. sinnedk

sinnedk Well-Known Member

received a few bottles recently and the two that stood out are below.
    [​IMG]
    hibiki 17, haven't had it in a long long time, surprisingly very smooth almost sweet whiskey. I can taste a huge difference between this one and the 12. I think i now have been spoiled and will have to keep buying the 17 to keep in the house.
    [​IMG]

JWB always a classic, great whiskey. I am just really impressed by the presentation and taste.

20. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

Nice pickups! The Hibiki 17 is my go-to Japanese whiskey. Better pick up a few bottles and hold them as the prices are going up on April 1.