1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

I looked for Oban DE or Crag DE (my favs of the series) when I was through Pearson last week (what an awful airport), but no dice. Wound up buying a liter of Johnnie Double Black since I had wanted to try it and it was like $50. Can't say as I like it.

~H

2. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Well-Known Member

yeah I've got a bottle of that double black somewhere in the collection. Didn't find it particularly interesting but hey it's good to put out for guests that don't know anything beyond JW red so they're impressed and I'm just happy they're not touching my single malts.

3. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Oban DE is so nice. I was really disappointed by the 14 year, but the DE is great.

I should try the 18 sometime.

4. Eric Michael

Eric Michael Well-Known Member

I'm on the hunt for Talisker Distiller's Edition- have heard it's excellent

5. Master-Classter

went past Astors yesterday and saw Uigedail for $75. Got a bottle last time and even with taxes and exchange rate, it's like $85 CAD and LCBO sells it for $170(?). Was tempted to get another bottle but had already spent too much $$$ so just got some Elijah Craig 12 and New Amsterdam Gin to round out my bourbon and gin collections.

( <- ducks and runs for cover )

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Sounds like I need to swing past next time I'm in the village. Love Uigeadail!

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Well-Known Member

Longrow tonight, no age date. Interesting. Not nearly as peaty as Longrow 10 and it almost has a salty twang like Oban. I don't have any at the moment but I would be curious to try those 2 at the same tasting. Sort of a creamier finish though.

8. Master-Classter

there's not much to choose from for a Campbeltown, so Springbank's on my list. Locally we only have the 10 year and I've heard the older ones are really nice. Do y'all think it's worth picking up? meaning does it add anything unique to help round out the collection in terms of styles?

9. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Oban 18 is fantastic.

I actually like Talisker DE better than the 10 yr. I've been drinking through my Talisker 18 just to get it off my shelf.

1 person likes this.
  10. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

I regret not grabbing the Talisker DE at duty free. Grabbed the Nikka Coffee Grain and Cragganmore DE (a gift for my father-in-law who isn't a fan of smoke or peat) instead.

11. Master-Classter

currently sipping some Four Roses Single Barrel for the first time. Taking it neat and it's tasty goodness. Yeah I know, it's not scotch.

cross posting this...

oh, just moved and organized / temporarily set up my 'bar'... more of a personal stockpile really. It's a work in progress, still got a long list of to buys but here's where it's at in under a year of 'collecting'

Gins - New Amsterdam, Bombay Saphire, Hendricks, Gordons and Beefeaters
    Vodka - Grey Goose, Żubrówka, Titos
    Rum - Havana Club 7 year, something random from Guateloup, Malibu, Ron Zacapa 23, Appleton Estate extra old or reserve, St. Clement single barrel
    Tequila - Milagra Resposado, Jose Guervo, and Jose Tradicionale
    Port - Fladgate 20 year, some cheapo Bin 27 or something
    Muddler, boston shaker, strainer, shot glasses, etc

[​IMG]

All the mixing stuff - St. Germaine, Archers Peach Shnapps, Lemonchella, Campari, Baileys, Dolins sweet red and dry white vermouth, Bitters (Peychauds and Agnosturas), Cassis syrup, St. Remy VSOP Brandy, onions and cherries
    Bourbon - Eagle Rare 10, Four Roses Single Barrel, Elijah Craig 12, Willet 8, mickey of Beam white, Booker, Makers
    Rye - Rittenhouse
    Stotch - Walker double black, Black Grouse Alpha x2, Belvenie double wood, Craggenmore 12, MacCallen 12, Highland Park 12
    Talisker 10, Laphroag Quarter Cask, Lagavulen 16, Ardbeg 10, Ardbeg Uigedail

[​IMG]

12. Cleav

Cleav Well-Known Member

Nice job MC, something therapeutic about organising...

1 person likes this.
  13. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

The 10 is tasty and reasonably priced for the quality of malt.

14. Master-Classter

great, thanks!

and just to keep on trend, currently drinking:

[​IMG]

15. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Tonight's pickups:

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  16. brp2

brp2 Well-Known Member

A couple recent pick-ups here too:
    [​IMG]

Also, I can't decide what I think about Laphroaig's 18. I can pick it up locally for $85, which makes me think I should stock up, but I wasn't all that excited when I tried some.

17. Gibonius

I got it for $67, and I feel the same (even for the money). I'd go Cask Strength all day long over the 18 (although 10CS is one of my top 3 scotches). The "beat you over the head with Islay-ness" is what Laphroaig best brings to the table IMO and that's the 10 CS. The 18 gets mellower and I appreciate what it offers, but I feel like that niche is better filled by Lagavulin.

18. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

Got my first bottle of scotch- Glenmorganie Nectar D'Or. Think I might go back and grab the Compagne

19. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

You could do far worse for a first bottle.

And btw… I had some bourbon thoughts on my mind and noticed the whisk(e)y thread has been dormant for like 8 years. What's up with that?

20. Gibonius

It's worth noting that Nectar d'Or is a very atypical scotch. Not what I'd usually direct a first time buyer towards, just because of the distinctiveness of it.

There's a bourbon thread that's active.