1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SplasH

SplasH Active Member

Nice to see so many Laphroaig fans in this thread. The 10 yo is my favourite "all around" scotch, just over the Ardberg, in its 10yo version too.

Recently I had the chance to taste this one :
    [​IMG]

Loved it. Good fruity taste with a strong smoked oak perfume and no alchohol hit on the mouth. Very very smooth.

2 people like this.
  2. Longmorn

Longmorn Well-Known Member

Anyone else here had the Longrow Burgundy Cask? Longrow is Springbank's peated expression, and the Burgundy cask finish balances beautifully with the smoke.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  3. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Well-Known Member

Oh my...congrats on the opportunity! Having the chance to taste any 30-year single malt is a treat, especially this one. Love the 10 year as well...a great dram.

Just purchased a bottle of Old Pulteney 12 yr and Springbank 15 yr last night. Should arrive tomorrow - can't wait!

4. kayjaybee

kayjaybee Well-Known Member

What the what?!?! You lucky dog!!

5. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Any recs on whisky I should pick up that is only found in France? My collection has been shrinking by the glass recently.

6. SplasH

SplasH Active Member

I don't know if you can only find it in France, but the P&M 7yo and the Louvois Single malt (Guillon) are worth a shot. No pun intended. My preference goes to the last one.

[​IMG]

If you're celtic you might want to try one from Warenghem they're from Brittany and their single malt won a best european whisky award.

[​IMG]

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Edit; only found in Europe. My wife, rightfully so, is putting the cabash on anything I can buy in America.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

To chime in on the Lap Ardbeg convesation:

I think Laphroaig may be the finest crafted of the two...the Lap 18 is incredible, as is the QC and TW. I'm lucky enough to have a couple of the 15 y/o that are no longer being produced, which I heard is even better than the 18...maybe just cause you can't get it anymore. I have a 25 y/o also, which is great, but not worth the $200-$400 jump in price on the 18.

The Ardbeg is a beast though, very raw and unapologetically Islay. The Corv and Uggie are a step up, in price and taaste and are also good. I love them. I have the 10, and its a great affordable dram, but I also have almost all of their limited releases over the past few years...Alligator, Beist, Day, Supernova and the newest the Bog. To say I can't wait for teh cooler weather is ahuge understatement...these will make the winter a tad more tolerable.

For those interested in the tasting I was trying to get going, I'll post here details once I know...its about the time to start setting them up. Is there a preference to what kind? Straight up Scotch? Irish Whiskeys? Bourbon? Let me know.

9. ama

ama Well-Known Member

If you are going to France go to La Maison du Whisky and shop around. One of the best whisk(e)y stores in the world. They have a great knack for picking great casks to bottle for their store.

10. SplasH

SplasH Active Member

Indeed the best french store for whisky. That's if you go in Paris though

11. konda

konda Well-Known Member

The week ends with the perfect blend.

[​IMG]

12. konda

konda Well-Known Member

At the moment the A'bunadh is, if not at the top, amongst the top 3 of my choosing. I encourage to try the QC (my favorite) and the PX -casks. And you are correct in it being senseless to drink a different whisky after a peaty whisky like Laphroaig. It takes a while for ones taste buds to come back to their senses.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  13. NewYorkIslander

Hillrock Solera Aged to start the night, a nice aperitif!

14. Longmorn

Anyone here belong to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, or attended one of the annual extravaganzas? Thinking about springing for a membership. I've tasted some outstanding Society bottlings at Jack Rose.

15. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

16. ama

ama Well-Known Member

I used to belong. I didn't find it to be terribly worthwhile. Some great bottlings, but some real duds too.

17. NewYorkIslander

Did my own Ardbeg tasting this afternoon. Rainy thursday felt like the perfect time to break my Bourbon drinking streak:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd rate these:
    Bog>Uggie>Day>Correveck>Galileo=10

I know the Galileo got crappy reviews, but it really was nice...certainly different from Ardbeg's profile, but still good. 10 is a solid dram.

2 people like this.
  18. Longmorn

Interesting - I was considering joining on the strength of some of the bottles I've tasted at Jack Rose. There was a 15 yr old Mortlach called 'Sweet Chili Tingle' that was outstanding.

Were the events of any interest?

19. ryogrif

ryogrif Well-Known Member

20. NewYorkIslander

QC hands down over the regular 10 year. I haven't tried the 10 year Cask yet.