1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. marblehouse

marblehouse Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestions. Hadn't considered octomore since I haven't tried it yet - any edition you recommend?

2. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

People are seriously paying $400 for Pappy 15? I guess hype +shortages will do that, but certainly not a value at that price point.

3. marblehouse

marblehouse Well-Known Member

Try $700+

4. Gibonius

Gibonius Well-Known Member

Lord. I went through a couple bottles back when it was ~$60/bottle, glad I got in on it before it got trendy.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::lol:

My Lord.

From 2005:

http://www.klwines.com/staff/3005pdf/November05.pdf

[​IMG]

6. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

Always pays to browse in liquor stores in small towns. I was in upstate NY at a small, nice shop. They had Lagavulin 16 for $95 (yikes!), but the Lagavulin 12 special release from 2010 for $70! Shopkeeper's logic, no doubt, was that it was a younger whisky, thus should be priced less.

Added that one to my shelf.

7. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

Those Pappy prices I quoted were secondary market, where its most easily found now. Retail is not very different than what it was been. Those Hirsch and BMH prices were awesome. You can always find good stuff if you look hard enough, and if you go to those small towns in non-ABC states, you'll find some gems. I found a ORVW 10 year 107 proof for $50 and GTS for $99 just a few weeks ago.

As far as the Octomore the 5.1 is the one most people are asking about...

Gopher, nice score on the Lag 12...I have a bottle of that waiting to crack this winter.

I had some WFE 10 last night that is just sublime! Have a Pappy 20 waiting for the right moment to open, prob won't be until I find another bottle....

8. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

That's obscene. It isn't worth that much.

9. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

$250 is a great price to a Tun 1401. Where do you find it for that? I've had the batch 3 and batch 6. Both quite different and to me the flavor changes after it is opened.

10. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Well-Known Member

for real that's crazy...

11. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

Seems appropriate for tonight.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  12. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

For my first Islay: Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10? I can find them locally for roughly the same price at the moment.

I'm leaning towards the Ardbeg for the simple fact it's non chill filtered and uses no caramel coloring. It's not a deal breaker either way though.

13. gopherblue

gopherblue Well-Known Member

First EVER Islay? Or first bottle to buy? If you've never had an Islay, I'd start with Caol Ila. Or if you know you like smoke and peat, then Laphroaig or Lagavulin. I like Ardbeg, and have several expressions, but it is not nearly as approachable as the others.

14. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Laphroig. It's the quintessential Islay.

Ardbeg is good, but IMO the smoke overpowers everything. The Laphroig has more general peatiness and brininess going on, less sticking-your-face-in-a-chimney.

15. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

I've had a few cocktails with Laphroaig CS in it that were delicious and I find myself craving more of the peat smoke I find hints of in HP12 and Talisker 10. I chose both Laphroaig and Ardbeg because of their similar prices; for whatever reason Caol Ila and the other Islays are all more expensive than those two here.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  16. 13k

13k Well-Known Member

Lap 10 all the way

edit:

not sure where you're located, but in LA's trader joes carries Lap 10 for $39 which is pretty fair to me.

17. aravenel

aravenel Well-Known Member

Yeah, Laphroig is definitely one of the more affordable ones.

FWIW, I think the nose on the Ardbeg 10 is fantastic. I could stick my nose in a snifter of it for hours. Not a huge fan of the actual taste, though.

Lagavulin is my favorite Islay, though.

18. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Well-Known Member

+1. I don't mind Ardbeg for a bit of added variety, but I'd take Laphroaig over it. I'd usually take Lagavulin over both but every so often I crave Laphroaig.

19. Nil

Nil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Laphroaig 10 it is. I couldn't resist the Aberlour A'bunadh also.

EDIT: Lap 10 tasting notes: smokey campfire, seaweed, a hint of motor oil, and a slight citrus sweetness. The peat finish lasts forever. :slayer: Quite delicious all around. I know I'll like it even more once fall hits. It's pointless to drink another whisky immediately afterward though; I had a glass of my trusty Elijah Craig 12 year bourbon and the flavor was definitely affected.

1 person likes this.
  20. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

Skinny put me on to Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or so I figured I'd try this next:

[​IMG]