1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any ezcema suffereres here?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mrpologuy, Sep 26, 2006.

1. tiecollector

tiecollector Well-Known Member

I think tie is right. Taking flaxseed oil regularly improved my dry spots immensely. I now take Rexall Salmon Oil now though, b/c flax does not have EPA/DHA. I think next I might try the Nordic Naturals brand...one of the mega EPA versions of it, to justify the extra cost. I am a firm believer in Omega 3s, because I actually notice a difference in the way I feel after taking them on a regular basis. I started taking them mainly for the digestive benefits (have a bit of a bad stomach), but there are so many other good reasons.
    Javyn, flax is good stuff too, if you get the powder its great for fiber, flax has ALA, which is good too, but I think the EPA/DHA is much more beneficial though I think. I take all three kinds of omega 3. It has cured my biggest problems, which were bad dandruff and beginning hairloss. Go for the highest EPA/DHA you can find, make sure it is pure too. I take the capsules, no way I could tolerate swallowing spoonfuls of the stuff. Be sure to keep it refrigerated too. If you want to better increase absorption take a digestive enzyme with Lipase. Anti-oxidants paired with anti-inflammatories to stop inflammation at the cellular level can really make a huge difference.

2. tiecollector

No Javyn, my comment was neither simple or smartassed. Medicine tries to ground itself in evidence and rationality. There is plenty of evidence that dietary manipulation of lipid does not benefit eczema, but not much evidence(especially of the double blinded, crossover trial type) that supports the contention that it does. So, even if in your case the improvement was due to your diet change you cannot reasonably claim that it will improve most patients' eczema - those studies have been done and have not reached that conclusion. If dietary supplementation was the answer then every dermatologist in the world would be promoting it, and they don't.

Clearly these oils have no beneficial effect on manners.

Yes, perhaps we should all take steroids like Clobetasol_propionate. Won't cause you but mere mild side effects like Cushing's Syndrome. Or you could just take some fish oil and have no side effects.

The reason doctor's don't recommend supplements is because they think that they are smarter than nature and patients are delusional, brainwashed since medical school by the pharmaceutical industry. Supplements are for those crazy herbalists, right.

Prevention is the only cure, and if everyone followed good preventative medicine then there wouldn't be as much use for doctors. There would be no drugs to prescribe to get rich off of. Why would pharmaceutical companies not research something like fish oil that they can't patent? I'll let you guess why.

As far as dermatologists, I have been to several and I knew more than they did. As Seinfeld put it best, dermatologists are only a step up from a Clinique counter. They only know how to cut off growths.

Studies are done all the time. Eggs are good, no they are bad.. no wait, good, bad, good.... Nobody knows what they are talking about, especially the ones with an agenda like the pharmas and the doctors in bed with them.

A posse ad esse. Ad hoc scrotum.

3. Man In Space

Man In Space Well-Known Member

I've had it on my hands on and off for 10+ years. Moisturize regularly, use cortizone to control itching and try to limit the amount of hot water hand washing that you do.

4. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Well-Known Member

Yes, perhaps we should all take steroids like Clobetasol_propionate. Won't cause you but mere mild side effects like Cushing's Syndrome. Or you could just take some fish oil and have no side effects.

The reason doctor's don't recommend supplements is because they think that they are smarter than nature and patients are delusional, brainwashed since medical school by the pharmaceutical industry. Supplements are for those crazy herbalists, right.

Prevention is the only cure, and if everyone followed good preventative medicine then there wouldn't be as much use for doctors. There would be no drugs to prescribe to get rich off of. Why would pharmaceutical companies not research something like fish oil that they can't patent? I'll let you guess why.

As far as dermatologists, I have been to several and I knew more than they did. As Seinfeld put it best, dermatologists are only a step up from a Clinique counter. They only know how to cut off growths.

Studies are done all the time. Eggs are good, no they are bad.. no wait, good, bad, good.... Nobody knows what they are talking about, especially the ones with an agenda like the pharmas and the doctors in bed with them.

A posse ad esse. Ad hoc scrotum.

You seem to be decompensating.

5. tiecollector

Not at all, its the eczema medication. Please forgive me.

6. GWHiZiTSPHiL

GWHiZiTSPHiL Well-Known Member

i have eczema in probably one of the worst spots possible. the lip. i just recently broke out there. you can't really see it, if it's there you just a see a redness but the itching sensation is so bad. one time i actually ripped off my lips until they had to grow back and all this clear liquid kept coming out of my lips that would harden into a transparent yellow thing. it would hurt so much for months and i hated to brush my teeth cuz it would burn. other than that i have eczema on my legs but it doesn't really affect me. only in the way that it makes my scars stay longer than it should.

7. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Since I have started weight training again, I consume 2g of EPA/DHA combined dialy. That equals a lot of capsules! Talk about salmon burps. And, coming from a family of doctors, I agree with you 100% on the control the pharm industry has on them now. By in large, doctors no longer cure illness, but instead push drugs. Also, having studied the statistical methods used in these trials, I am well aware of how easy it is to falsify findings! Anyway, the Nordic Naturals EPA Xtra has me interested. I might try these next. 1060mg EPA in 2 softgels. Not too shabby! https://www.nordicnaturals.com/direc...mary.asp?ID=74

8. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Oh yes, again I'll restate, Rooibos can be great for ezcema/dry spots. Of course, it is non addicting, and relatively inexpensive...so I'm sure the medical community scoffs at this as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooibos

9. MrRogers

MrRogers Well-Known Member

Seems to be alot of that going around on this forum.

Tiecollector, May I ask what it is that you do for a living that makes you more knowledgeable than a medical doctor or puts you in a position to regard someone with a decades worth of formal education as being "One step up from a Clinique counter?"

Shaman perhaps?

MrR

10. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

No, I am the resident Witch Doctor.

[​IMG]

11. MrRogers

MrRogers Well-Known Member

Tiecollector, May I ask what it is that you do for a living...

MrR

MrR

12. lance konami

lance konami Well-Known Member

I have a case of ezcema on my face, it showed up around a year ago and made me look like a freakin leper. It took me months of trying everything under the sun to get it under control, (meds, sterioids, etc) and finally found something called vanicream which works wonders. I get ezcema on my beard area, so after shaving I use it like an after shave balm. But I have to apply it twice a day religiously. It's non-steroidal.

It's a shame our medical system is chock full of pill prescribing automatons who are only interested in treating the symptom rather than the cause...after all, what good is it for them if they actually cured diseases?

13. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

I have a case of ezcema on my face, it showed up around a year ago and made me look like a freakin leper. It took me months of trying everything under the sun to get it under control, (meds, sterioids, etc) and finally found something called vanicream which works wonders. I get ezcema on my beard area, so after shaving I use it like an after shave balm. But I have to apply it twice a day religiously. It's non-steroidal.

It's a shame our medical system is chock full of pill prescribing automatons who are only interested in treating the symptom rather than the cause...after all, what good is it for them if they actually cured diseases?

I think that is one thing that Easter Medicine has going for it. They take a more holistic approach to medicine as opposed to just treating the symptoms.

Your avatar looks like something off of the latest Tool CD (which I just got).

14. tiecollector

Seems to be alot of that going around on this forum.

Tiecollector, May I ask what it is that you do for a living that makes you more knowledgeable than a medical doctor or puts you in a position to regard someone with a decades worth of formal education as being "One step up from a Clinique counter?"

Shaman perhaps?

MrR

Slightly presumptuous to ask what I do. I won't tell you what my day job is, but I will tell you that I have a formal education in a difficult, highly technical field. I have worked in research labs, know enough statistics to make the numbers do whatever I want them to, and I read pubmed daily. I also speak with people both online and in person who I feel are competent, passionate and really push the envelope to look at things in a different way.

Dermatologists especially rub me the wrong way because I have seen several and they could hardly answer any of my questions, some of which I was testing them with. Also NONE of them were keeping up with the latest research that I thought they would have at least heard about. Not to mention, at one of them the guy tried to charge me for a surgery he didn't even perform. Every single one of them tried to rush me out the door too to get to the next patient.

Anyways, I wouldn't push anything I haven't tried myself. I read information and then go buy supplements or make my own topicals to apply on myself. Sometimes I hit, sometimes I miss.

Is it really hard to believe that a trillion dollar industry like the pharmaceutical industry can't have enough leverage to get what they want? I am all for emergency medicine, but taking toxic substances continuously to cover up symptoms is just as backwards as it comes.

Doctors think they can come up with a molecule that will do something better than nature and not effect you in a negative way. Think again doc.

15. mrpologuy

mrpologuy Well-Known Member

I know there is probably no science behind this but I started tanning about a weeka go and I have improved by 95%. it was really bad on my lower back and rear and now it is practically gone. I havn't been doing anything different then go tanning. Anybody else know if there is science behind this or is it just luck?

16. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Well-Known Member

I know there is probably no science behind this but I started tanning about a weeka go and I have improved by 95%. it was really bad on my lower back and rear and now it is practically gone. I havn't been doing anything different then go tanning. Anybody else know if there is science behind this or is it just luck?

UV light is an immunosuppressant, and is used in therapy for psoriasis. Light-induced immunosuppression is one of the postulated mechanisms for the development of skin cancer, so there are biological costs and benefits to light exposure.