1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Any comments on loake/cheaney shoes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Sep 21, 2004.

1. ManofKent

ManofKent Well-Known Member

Thought I'd bump this to add a Loake question:

Any thoughts on the difference between their Shoemaker Main and Shoemaker Comfort? There's a pair of brogue monks that look almost the same (slightly different broguing) in each. If I buy them, I'm tempted to go for the slightly more expensive Comfort version.

thanks,
    b

Both the main and comfort range are best bought seen. The quality within those ranges differs from being at L1 (Corrected Grain, poor finishing) level to near 1880 (decent calf leather reasonable finishing).

2. Groover

Groover Well-Known Member

Thought I'd bump this to add a Loake question:

Any thoughts on the difference between their Shoemaker Main and Shoemaker Comfort? There's a pair of brogue monks that look almost the same (slightly different broguing) in each. If I buy them, I'm tempted to go for the slightly more expensive Comfort version.

thanks,
    b

The shoemaker main are Loakes bread and butter range, these are their main sellers if you like, a lot of the styles are rebadged for various retailers. If they're polished leather (which I believe the majority are) then they'll be correct grain.

The shoemaker comfort range have cushioned insoles and rubber inserts in the soles for added durability. I've only ever seen one pair of these shoes (edinburgh was the model) and the leather used for the sole was poor quality. The shoes themselves were quite comfortable when I tried them on.

All in all stick to the 1880 range, better leather, better finishing. Better still go for Cheaney, better shoes all round

3. rdawson808

rdawson808 Well-Known Member

Jeez, I hate this. I've finally found a full brogue monkstrap in my price range--but it looks like maybe they aren't such great quality. Didn't someone mention there's a Loake seller in DC? Maybe I'll go check them out.

The ones I'm looking at are the Dean and the Telford. Both are available in black calf. Unfortunately, there's no monkstrap in the 1818 line.

Hmmm, and the only Cheaney monk at Pediwear is ugly. I'll check the local shop.

b