1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Antiques - why?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Lucky Strike, Mar 14, 2006.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

I like antique mirrors, old mirrors with chips in the silvering and frames.

I have the mirror that was hanging on the wall of the bedroom in which my grandfather was born - I origionally inherited a dresser that had the mirror attached, but insect damage destroyed the rest of the piece, so I remounted the mirror. it does, in fact, have a few chips.

possibly for the first time ever, I agree with D - I seriously considered moving my family to Prague for just that reason: I thought that it would be a great advantage to raise my family surrounded by so much beuty.

2. dkzzzz

dkzzzz Well-Known Member

3. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike Well-Known Member

Anyone care to speculate what style is this and who is possibly the designer? Looks very constructivist to me (almost F. Leger like). I am not a fan of ornate pieces ,but this one strikes a chord. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=300205663225&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=020
    Finding a named designer for this will be difficult. It's well made, but not exceptional quality. The joinery of the drawers is run-of-the-mill. If you look closely at the three panels that make up the two doors on the top half, you'll see that they're the same design, only with the middle panel flipped - a typical shortcut, of the type you hate when you notice it. I'd guess it's made by a jobbing small manufacturer with some standards when it came to quality, but who didn't follow through on design. I don't think a front like that, broken up in panels and handles all over the drawers and doors like that, would come from neither an academically nor craft-taught designer. There are some collectors here who have seen far more stuff from this period than me, though. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

5. Lucky Strike

6. chas

chas Well-Known Member

Thus growing up in a split level ranch in a suburb would make you desire everything Ikea for the rest of your life.

Wow..

7. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Anyone care to speculate what style is this and who is possibly the designer?

Looks very constructivist to me (almost F. Leger like). I am not a fan of ornate pieces ,but this one strikes a chord.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=020

Looks like a piece of shit.

Also, Atomic Ranch might be something you'd take a look at to challenge your preconceptions about ranch houses.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I don't own any works or furniture that would qualify as antique.
    I love them when in good condition, but cost is usually prohibitive.
    I don't have a problem with eclecticism or historical revivals in a stylistic sense- that an artist or designer is inspired by the past seems to be unavoidable.

Lately I've been drawn to some early American furniture that has
    some traces of Empire. I like them aesthetically and I also think it would be interesting to see a contemporary version.

9. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

I don't own any works or furniture that would qualify as antique.
    I love them when in good condition, but cost is usually prohibitive.
    I don't have a problem with eclecticism or historical revivals in a stylistic sense- that an artist or designer is inspired by the past seems to be unavoidable.

Lately I've been drawn to some early American furniture that has
    some traces of Empire. I like them aesthetically and I also think it would be interesting to see a contemporary version.

Amish furniture.

10. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

Amish furniture.

saw an exhibition of Amish works at the High Museum in Atlanta.
    I left appreciating it more.

11. Biscione

Biscione Well-Known Member

I have some furniture from the 17th century.

I love great antiques, and mix them with more modern things (especially lamps).

12. visionology

visionology Well-Known Member

I appreciate functional antiques as in chairs, tables, desks, etc and typically those from mid-century with clean lines.

13. hypersonic

hypersonic Well-Known Member

Louis XIV, RÃ[​IMG]gence, and Louis XV my favourites.

Louis XIV
    I love the formality of Louis XIV furniture ...it is so regal and grand.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]gence
    [​IMG]

Louis XV
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also like a lot of fine English furniture, these GEORGE III chairs are absolutely exquisite.
    [​IMG]

14. turboman808

turboman808 Well-Known Member

I collect alot of antique furniture. I am not expert so sometimes I cannot tell the difference between Louis XVI and Rococo. I have a antique bombe chest in every room in my apt. Really like those. I also went thru a period of collecting asian antique furniture(although I think some may be knockoffs). I have a bit of everything and it blends well together. Hell my dining room furniture is 1940 art deco. It's has a nice veneer finish that makes it work.

I also really like that if I decide to sell something I can get my money back. Never lost money on antique furniture. But I will also make sure I am getting the best bargain possible.

15. Lucky Strike

[​IMG]
    Hypersonic; any information about this? I'm researching one with quite similar inlaidwork: [​IMG]
    I collect alot of antique furniture. I am not expert so sometimes I cannot tell the difference between Louis XVI and Rococo. I have a antique bombe chest in every room in my apt. Really like those. I also went thru a period of collecting asian antique furniture(although I think some may be knockoffs). I have a bit of everything and it blends well together. Hell my dining room furniture is 1940 art deco. It's has a nice veneer finish that makes it work. I also really like that if I decide to sell something I can get my money back. Never lost money on antique furniture. But I will also make sure I am getting the best bargain possible.
    [​IMG] - particularly the art deco dining room. Where do you buy your stuff? Auctions, dealers?

16. hypersonic

Hello LS, I don't have much info ...but I can tell you that it was sold at Christie's, New York, in 2005 for $192,000. It was described as "a Louis XV citronnier, tulipwood, amaranth, sycamore and marquetry bureau de dame, mid-Eighteenth Century".

I hope this is helpful in some way.

...You might be able to purchase a catalogue from Christie's if they still have a copy [​IMG]

17. Lucky Strike

I hope this is helpful in some way. ...You might be able to purchase a catalogue from Christie's if they still have a copy [​IMG]
    It is, and I will, if they do. Thanks!

18. bluemax

bluemax Well-Known Member

I can appreciate the aesthetic of antiques, but I wouldn't want to have to look at them every day. The designs are just too busy, too much going on, ugh... Modern and minimalist for me all the way.

19. hypersonic

I also like a lot of fine English furniture, these GEORGE III chairs are absolutely exquisite.
    [​IMG]

Those are originals designed by the great 18th century Scottish designer Robert Adam.

I saw these recent copies by Dominic Gerard, upholstered in Versace fabric -- how utterly dreadful!
    [​IMG]