1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Antiques, antiques auctions, recent purchases and discussion

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by idfnl, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Boston->NYC->Helsinki->St.-Petersburg->Budapest->A
    A few small things for my feminine side (yes it means for myself).
    First, I use VASS shoecare kit (105USD) as my travel shaving kit. It is made to the highest quality of any toiletry bag I've seen.

http://www.vass-cipo.hu/Eng/Kiegeszitok/Kiegeszitok_04_Nagy.html

The leather is superb quality French calf (exotics if you lucky) the outside of the bag is padded lightly and the inside is lined in cream leather. Zipper is metal-which I prefer. Isnide the bag among creams and brushes is a very usefull travel shoehorn with a small leather handle with VASS crest on it. I promptly removed the leather handle and use it on my key-chain, it is perfefect size.

Also some nice silver travel spray by Christofle for Concord Airline.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Recent aquisition , very timely for New Year celebration (I need a new year like a hole in my head )...
    1996 Champagne , for those who don't know it is the best Champagne year of 20th century, it is still exceptionally good to drink. If you can find Cuvee William Deutz 1996 grab it , it will change your mind on how Champagne 'suppose' to taste.
    [​IMG]

In the same lot was this odd bottle of Armagnac, must be at least XO or better. Well it was only 40 so no big whoop.
    [​IMG]

Three Herems silk scarfs 35.00 each , they had some small stains but I know how to clean them very well and intend on making throw pillows out of that silk. For those who don't know Herems scarfs have the thickest silk yarn, so suitable for pillows.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  3. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

4. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Thank you and Happy New Year.

5. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Sterling silver clothing brushes late 19 or early 20 century. Probably German. Polishing with Renaissance wax [​IMG]
    and they shine beautifully.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  6. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Silver candlesticks. Late 19 early 20th. Thank you Ebay.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Small silver wine tray.
    [​IMG]

Silver kitchen trays, 80cm tall.
    [​IMG]

8. SkinnyGoomba

Nice stuff!

Are you into Arts and Crafts silver at all? I think my favorite silver at the moment is Lebolt in a hand hammered pattern.

9. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Thank you SG.
    I am not a disciplined collector , I just buy whatever suits my current living arrangements. I checked that brand you have mentioned and it seems they have produced nice and very restrained designs.

Bought a case of vintage Champagne at the auction recently all 12 were spoiled, what a let down. It is impossible to ascertain if champagne cork was compromised with all that foil around it. So my advise would be : Don't do it.

P.S. I have to say that in comparison to US market, European auctioneers are often dishonest and are trying to unload unacceptable merch or misrepresent lots intentionally (caveat emptor galore). I bought a few vintage items and their hidden condition issues were such that they would not be accepted at any auction in US, when I called to complain they told me : "We will wave our auction fees if you want to sell it ", I was shocked at their suggestion and that was large German auctioneer. Fake items mixed in a lot of authentic, silver-plated merch represented as silver etc. etc.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I picked up an ebony clothing brush recently:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Made in France by E. Dupont & Co.
    Seller dated it at 1906. I don't know if that is actually true, but I was in the market for a clothing brush, not an antique piece, and the price was right.

Might want to clean up the wood a bit (there are a couple of water spots and nicks/blemishes) but I'm not sure how to approach the finish.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  11. SkinnyGoomba

That is a shame about the European auction houses and the champagne! Silver plated stuff passed off as silver is really bad business, also; watch out for 'German Silver' it is an old trade name for a type of silver plate and contains no silver in the base metal.

I suppose I am much the same way as most of what I have fits the look of my place, but I do have a few favorite makers I seek out ahead of the unknowns (unknown to me). I like Randahl in the arts and Crafts Era as well, it's a bit hard to come by, but nice stuff.

My wife enjoys La Paglia, an Artist who worked under Georg Jensen for a time then moved on, his stuff is a bit ornate for me personally but we have one of his more subdued takes on a Paul Revere bowl that is quite nice.

I enjoy a good bit of the Danish makers as well, especially Jensen.

12. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

Thank you for the tip and names, I make sure to look them up. As for Silver, I did see a few "German Silver" items but did not bid on them as they were all 800. My limited understanding of silver marks is that if it is "xxx" three digit number it is 'solid' silver and if it is "xx" two digit it is silverplate. Some American makers also use 'Sterling Silver" stamp, my assumption that it is 900+ pure silver.

P.S. Forgot to mention , I also bought a forged oil painting from a famous Paris auctioneer. It was canvas print slathered professionally with tonns of varnish to make it look like brushstrokes. The frame was vintage with a label of defunct art dealer in Paris. The humorous thing is that all that effort went into forging obscure artists from 1950s and brought only few hundreds at the auction. :D

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  13. otc

otc Well-Known Member

From my time making jewelry in school, I believe anything hallmarked "sterling" (and not lying) is equivalent to a .925 stamp.

The french define sterling as .950, but they use different markings, so there shouldn't be any confusion.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  14. SkinnyGoomba

Hah, someone expected that artist to be a bit more famous. All is well if you enjoy the painting regardless.

I'm not an expert in silver by any means, but it is also worthwhile to research the maker's marks and see what they produced as a double check.

15. JFST

JFST Well-Known Member

Found this thread, amazing! Subscribed? [​IMG]

16. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

From France.
    This was a cheap lot (50EUR + shipping.) noone wanted . I know 1994 is like the worst year for Champagne and French Bordeaux/Burgundy but heck :"How bad could it be?" it is a Champagne after all.
    I never tried Marc de Champagne, which is French version of Grappa. But it appears to be either mixed with something or spend so long in a barrel that it tastes like sweet Whiskey 45% Alc does not bite at all. Very surprised to like it, will use for cocktails.
    Bottle of POrt was young but something happened to it in a cellar it has so much vintage character that I keep sipping it once in a while.
    [​IMG]

From GB
    Francois De Marange Supreme Plenitude, for some reason Daniel Buju decided to issue this Cognac under that name . I have no clue what is the relation. Few years back I won a bottle of Supreme Plenitude at Miami Estate Auction. It was part of large cognac lot and to my surprise it blew my socks off. That Hennessy N1 was part of that lot.
    [​IMG]

These two, I am not sure about, but I got them both for less than 100 ,so cannot be that bad. They were part of limited edition and manufacturer does not have them on their website anymore, but some sites described Heritage as 35 y.o. Cognac. We will see.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    4 people like this.
  17. idfnl

idfnl Well-Known Member

I'd love a mini of that cognac, if you can spare it. I might even pay the shipping.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  18. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

From France
    Rare and pretty delicious Champagne. I bought 1996 carafe of this and it was pretty delicious. Took a chance on these 1989 wines, hopefully they are intact. Not a bargain but at a third of a retail will do. 1989 was not an exceptional year according to my Millesime chart but it is a good vintage nevertheless.
    Bargain would have been L'Espiegle 1998 that is avail. in US for around 30USD

[​IMG]

Bought lot of original drawings all signed and dated from 1930s. The guy was prolific illustrator and advertising artist.
    François d'ALBIGNAC (1903-1958).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  19. Medwed

Medwed Well-Known Member

More of the same 1971 Rose . Rare shit for sure. Qualifies for this thread on the grounds of its age. Risky buy for Champagne that old had to be stored properly else it is flat. But as some say: "Those who don't take risks don't drink Champagne" :)

[​IMG]

20. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

The Chinese use .999 silver.

Medwed, where are you picking up all this alcohol?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015