• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another car poll: G37 vs. 335i

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Southern-Nupe
I'm currently facing a dilemna, I was looking at an 08' G37, but the dealer called this very morning with a certified 07' G35 for 6 grand less, and all the options I wanted. I was really wanting to wait until the beginning of the year, but I'm findng myself somewhat impatient for no given reason. I still need to take a look at the competition, I've yet to drive the 3 series, and the only experience I have with the Lexus IS, is when I take my wife's car into the shop for service.
So you've yet to drive a car heads and shoulders above everything else in its class, and above? Fail. And fail on the Lexus IS -- geriatric, flaccid, overweight, slow, ugly. You cannot compare an IS 2/3 to a 3.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Username79 Actually a loaded G37 with all the options comes in at around 42K. If one was truly interested in owning a BMW for the sake of owning a BMW, one could get a CPO 328 for less than a CPO G37. ...and I don't find the interior of 3 series that much more impressive, Now when we start throwing Audi's into the equation, the outcome changes.
A 335 and a 328 are completely different cars. We are not talking about a car to drive, not own for the "sake of owning." There are too many things wrong with the G37 interior to list. The 3 series interior is much more impressive in its design, simplicity, and ergonomics. Oh wait, you haven't actually been in the 3 yet, and the interior is just one small part of the car. Right.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get the Infiniti just to spite this tool

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is the IS350 within the price range? I believe it's got the v8 in there. But I suppose if you're looking at the g37 and 330ithen you're more about the performance as well as looks. I think Lexus's are actually very good in their positioning. They're not getting into the Merc, BMW, Audi mix, they're going for more "sedan"ish luxury soft comfortable ride territory. I've got an IS250 and it's comfortable, and there's a little growl under the hood but it's not a performer.

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by username79
A 335 and a 328 are completely different cars. We are not talking about a car to drive, not own for the "sake of owning." Right.
What are the differences besides the engine, exhaust and larger front brakes and standard wheels on 335?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias

If I were the OP, I'd be very, very tempted.

Jack2000

Reaction score
I drove both and bought the 335i. Both are nice, but the BMW was a little more understated. I like the stealth factor of a simple black sedan that can do 0-60 in 4 something.

Dburr

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
If I were the OP, I'd be very, very tempted.
Second that. Who is this guy? Sheesh. I've owned 3 seven series BMW's. I'll not own another.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
Another butthurt G35 owner.
Originally Posted by Dburr
Second that. Who is this guy? Sheesh. I've owned 3 seven series BMW's. I'll not own another.
Because of someone on the internet? Wow, you're a moron. I find Lexus' to be blandly designed derivative trash with horrible road feel and a boring neutered driving experience. Plenty of people out there agree with me on that one. Every Lexus even one generation old looks at least ten years out of date and they have all the sporting ambitions (except the try-too-hard IS-F) of a large brick. This thread was about which car to pick the G37 or the 335i. I feel strongly that the 335i is far superior. I feel that with ample opportunity to drive both that no sane individual would pick the G37.
Originally Posted by Dmax
What are the differences besides the engine, exhaust and larger front brakes and standard wheels on 335?
The engine. Pics stolen from random forum:
33510.jpg
33512.jpg
You really can't compare that to anything the Japanese make today. Buy the class leader. The end.

epb

Reaction score
This thread was about which car to pick the G37 or the 335i. I feel strongly that the 335i is far superior. I feel that with ample opportunity to drive both that no sane individual would pick the G37.

Counterpoint: If the world of cars were a high school, the BMW 3-series and the Porsche 911 would be the head cheerleader and the captain of the football team - uncontested popular by any slack-jawed freshman with an IQ above room temperature, but in terms of actual character, often not someone you'd want to be close friends with.

The marketing and engineering departments have crafted an uncontestably solid package that appeals to a broad market. Say you've got a 335i, a 911, a Rolex, and heads bob knowingly, unweighted by thought. The appeal to the more knowledgeable can be clinical, antiseptic, somewhat bland.

The road less taken is always rougher, more wild, but often is more interesting, takes more character. Indeed, often the only real downside is having to constantly explain to folks like username79 why you didn't take the interstate, and as he's shown, that can be a weighty burden.

Day-to-day, there's nothing in it - both cars will satisfy the driving requirements of anyone driving on US roads 99% of the time. More important is how you feel about them, how much you like looking at them, how comfortable you are with them.

Mr.Pinchy

Reaction score
Definately true, they are all very nice, however after seeing the interior of the A8, I'm not convinced there is a better looking interior in a car less than $100K.
intuscjjscql01bcjalbatr.jpg
Jaguar-XJ-Interior-3-lg.jpg

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by epb
Counterpoint: If the world of cars were a high school, the BMW 3-series and the Porsche 911 would be the head cheerleader and the captain of the football team - uncontested popular by any slack-jawed freshman with an IQ above room temperature, but in terms of actual character, often not someone you'd want to be close friends with. The marketing and engineering departments have crafted an uncontestably solid package that appeals to a broad market. Say you've got a 335i, a 911, a Rolex, and heads bob knowingly, unweighted by thought. The appeal to the more knowledgeable can be clinical, antiseptic, somewhat bland. The road less taken is always rougher, more wild, but often is more interesting, takes more character. Indeed, often the only real downside is having to constantly explain to folks like username79 why you didn't take the interstate, and as he's shown, that can be a weighty burden. Day-to-day, there's nothing in it - both cars will satisfy the driving requirements of anyone driving on US roads 99% of the time. More important is how you feel about them, how much you like looking at them, how comfortable you are with them.
Your analogy is the epitome of stupidity because both cars are some of the finest automobiles on the road and considered best in class due to the fact that both are unique amongst their peers in that they do everything well. They are head cheerleader and the captain of the football team but at the same time they are also wonderful people that everyone wants to be friends with. The same cannot be said about their competitors. The G37 is attractive but has a cheap looking interior, a rough engine, and poor steering feel. The G37, then, is your stereotypical head cheerleader. Have you looked at the torque characteristics of the 335i engine? Driven one on the track? That appeals to people more knowledgeable, evidently more knowledgeable than you. Way to write a post full of bullshit without providing any examples of your so-called road less taken. I am not a BMW fanboy. The only cars in the lineup I like are the 335i and the M3. After owning both a 3 coupe and an E92 M3 I can confidentially my enthusiasm comes from realizing how far and away better they are than anything else I have driven for the money.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your analogy is the epitome of stupidity because both cars are some of the finest automobiles on the road and considered best in class due to the fact that both are unique amongst their peers in that they do everything well. They are head cheerleader and the captain of the football team but at the same time they are also wonderful people that everyone wants to be friends with. The same cannot be said about their competitors. The G37 is attractive but has a cheap looking interior, a rough engine, and poor steering feel. The G37, then, is your stereotypical head cheerleader.

Have you looked at the torque characteristics of the 335i engine? Driven one on the track? That appeals to people more knowledgeable, evidently more knowledgeable than you.

Way to write a post full of bullshit without providing any examples of your so-called road less taken. I am not a BMW fanboy. The only cars in the lineup I like are the 335i and the M3. After owning both a 3 coupe and an E92 M3 I can confidentially my enthusiasm comes from realizing how far and away better they are than anything else I have driven for the money.

Jeez. Did a G37 buttrape your mom or something?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads