1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Another car poll: G37 vs. 335i

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by leftover_salmon, Dec 14, 2009.

1. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Well-Known Member

Opinions/first-hand accounts welcome. FWIW, insurance is a small consideration (i.e. if the insurance on one will be significantly less than the other).

2. btinl

btinl Well-Known Member

335i all the way. I test drove both and although both cars are nice, I now own a 335xi.

3. dave

dave Well-Known Member

of the 2 I'd go 335 as well based purely on styling. I just can't warm up to the new infiniti design language. Bimmers aren't my cup either really but the 3 series is the best of them atm.

my dad had an infiniti i35 several years ago and it was a very nice car to drive and a few years ago when i bought my CTS i test drove the G35 and liked it very much. even with all that said though, having little BMW experience I'd still go 3 series out of the 2.

now if you open it up beyond those 2 cars, that's a whole other story...

4. leftover_salmon

Just as a separate question -- 328i vs. G37?

5. leftover_salmon

now if you open it up beyond those 2 cars, that's a whole other story...

Like what? I'm looking for something fast, sporty and somewhat practical for no more than $50k (Canadian) before taxes.

6. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

You can also look at the 2010 Audi S4. The base model is about $46K in US, not sure what the MSRP in Canada is. Are you thinking of leasing or buying?

7. leftover_salmon

Leasing. Downpayment is a gift and I'll be making the lease payments.

8. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

9. BlackMesa

BlackMesa Active Member

I don't know if the 335is in your region have the standard sport suspension, because in combination with the runflat tires, it gives a backbreaking ride on cobbled streets.

10. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

335 is, imo, better than the G37. However, I would never buy one because its so common around here. You can't drive to the mall without seeing three on your way and another five in the parking lot [​IMG]

11. oneeightyseven

oneeightyseven Well-Known Member

I don't know if the 335is in your region have the standard sport suspension, because in combination with the runflat tires, it gives a backbreaking ride on cobbled streets.

cobbled streets? are you sure they have cars in your city?

12. Southern-Nupe

Southern-Nupe Well-Known Member

This is hilarious, I'm currently in the process of checking out both these cars (as CPO), with plans of also looking at the 328, and Lexus IS (other than styling, this car is the last on my list of interest). I've only had the opportunity to test the G37, I was pretty impressed with it's demeanor, especially it's acceleration for an auto V6. I was planning on checking out the Bimmers this weekend. At this point, I'm a little skeptical about maintenance (only based on hear-say, not experience), but I refuse to rule the 3 series out of the equation.

As I see it, better car and better buy are rather subjective.

From most of the reports I've seen, the G sedan is the better buy, however the Bimmer is the better car.

13. BlackMesa

BlackMesa Active Member

cobbled streets? are you sure they have cars in your city?

Yes. It may surprise you that many cities in Europe have such roads. Have you driven it under such conditions?

14. Mr.Pinchy

Mr.Pinchy Well-Known Member

I think this should be moved to dumb threads just because it's a no brainer. The three-series and especially the 335i is the class leader.

15. leftover_salmon

I'm kind of surprised by the overwhelming push for the 335. I've been inside the G37 and a 328 (not the 335, though), and the G37 was so much more luxurious...and with 300+ HP and 0-60 in 5.5, wasn't sacrificing much performance.

16. dave

dave Well-Known Member

You can also look at the 2010 Audi S4. The base model is about $46K in US, not sure what the MSRP in Canada is. Are you thinking of leasing or buying?

that's the one that immediately leapt to mind but i don't know what MSRPs are like in canada anymore. If you're not hemmed in by a sedan the A5 is a beautiful car as well.

Beyond that I am a fan of the new '10 CTS as well. I had an '06 but while mine was in for it's final service i had an 09 loaner and it was WAY nicer than mine. it's less sporty though (obviously) but far more plush. you might get lucky on an 09 CTS-V as well if you're not fussed on the '10 model year.

You could also consider the new Lexus IS series. I think the F would be out of your range but you never know.

17. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

From most of the reports I've seen, the G sedan is the better buy...
    I agree with this. A few years back when I was looking for an SUV I decided on an Infiniti because of the bang you got for the buck. However, I would not have selected it if it was to be my daily driver.

18. Southern-Nupe

I agree with this. A few years back when I was looking for an SUV I decided on an Infiniti because of the bang you got for the buck. However, I would not have selected it if it was to be my daily driver.
    If you don't mind me asking, how was the service at the dealer. I'm really leaning hard towards the G, but as stated earlier, I've yet to really check out the competition.

19. Southern-Nupe

I'm kind of surprised by the overwhelming push for the 335. I've been inside the G37 and a 328 (not the 335, though), and the G37 was so much more luxurious...and with 300+ HP and 0-60 in 5.5, wasn't sacrificing much performance.
    I was rather surprised by the power of the G sedan. I would stepping out of a Cobra, but was looking for a 4 door (I have a 2 year old), that would still be fun to drive. I really like the size and proportions of the G37.

20. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

If you don't mind me asking, how was the service at the dealer. I'm really leaning hard towards the G, but as stated earlier, I've yet to really check out the competition.
    Excellent! Consistently good service and unlike the local German car dealers, they have plenty of nice loaners available.