1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Anna Matuozzo Prices

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by UK2004, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

^^^ Anna told me my shirts would last 10 years or so if worn regularly.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

How many years do you expect if you actually wear them?
    Fifteen, can't your type read? I have enough that they should last that long. I have seen older ones than that on her customers and they look great. If stitching comes apart, she told me to just send them in for repairs.
    She told me the same, but mine get good rest, and I don't mind a bit of fraying.

3. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

I expect 15 years from a shirt, so for me they are not disposable. Now I just have to not get fat, and don't you call me a dandy [​IMG].

You should switch to Kabbaz for the next batch.

I am considering some Mercer shirts for casual.

I don't get 15 years from my shirts. More like five or six (and that will not likely improve). I would gladly try Kabbaz if the price were sub $300 (or if you underwrote the difference).

4. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

Battistoni shirts.....The swelled edges of the collar were very pronounced and substantial.
    And very difficult to maintain, even with hand pressing.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

And very difficult to maintain, even with hand pressing.

Does that come personal experience? I hadn't really thought about it. My Matuozzo shirts can be kind of a pain to iron (especially the cuffs and collars), but I didn't think the swelled edges of the Battistoni collars would prove a problem.

6. Tomasso

Does that come personal experience?
    Yes. All those who to a go at pressing the collars, from myself to professionals, noted the difficulty. I've learned that certain treatments (fancy pleating, unique pockets, epaulets, etc..) which look great in the shop can be problematic to maintain upon delivery ( Especially if one is cursed with a good eye, excellent vision and high standards).

7. Coho

Coho Well-Known Member

I hate to tell you this, but no matter how nice, a shirt is a disposable item. I'll give it 5 years the most. For someone who spends as much money on a shirt, there's something very wrong with this expectation of durability. If you're wiling and can afford to spend that much, then I'll suggest a trip to Italy ever 2 years.
    I expect 15 years from a shirt, so for me they are not disposable. Now I just have to not get fat, and don't you call me a dandy [​IMG]..

8. itsstillmatt

I hate to tell you this, but no matter how nice, a shirt is a disposable item. I'll give it 5 years the most. For someone who spends as much money on a shirt, there's something very wrong with this expectation of durability. If you're wiling and can afford to spend that much, then I'll suggest a trip to Italy ever 2 years.
    Thanks, but I have a lot of shirts, and I have worn shirts for a long time. I have never worn one out, and I don't expect these to wear out either. We will see, I guess. If you wore a shirt 50 times a year, I could see them wearing out more quickly.

9. Coho

Coho Well-Known Member

Before I read Matt's "Borelli" post on his blog, I didn't think much about thread stitchings. Now, I'm cursed with more exacting standards from reputable shirtmakers.
    Especially if one is cursed with a good eye, excellent vision and high standards).

10. Coho

Coho Well-Known Member

Matt,

How many shirts are we talking about here in your rotation?

Thanks, but I have a lot of shirts, and I have worn shirts for a long time. I have never worn one out, and I don't expect these to wear out either. We will see, I guess. If you wore a shirt 50 times a year, I could see them wearing out more quickly.

11. itsstillmatt

Matt,

How many shirts are we talking about here in your rotation?

I haven't counted, but enough that they don't get worn more than 5-10 times a year.

12. Concordia

Concordia Well-Known Member

I am in this camp as well. My existing shirtmaker has gone AWOL with unfilled orders over a year old and now unreturned phone calls.

Keep the faith! I just today received my order from last September, plus 5 repaired shirts. Of course, the formal shirt with the wrong collar on it arrived again-- with the wrong collar. But now that they're working through the stack they should get to yours by the time the estate tax is phased out.

13. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Others I have heard besides Matuozzo are Sabattini .
    I've heard that as well from a mutual friend.
    I expect 15 years from a shirt, so for me they are not disposable. Now I just have to not get fat, and don't you call me a dandy [​IMG].
    ^^^ Anna told me my shirts would last 10 years or so if worn regularly.
    I have H&K RTW shirts that have lasted seven years and still look great -- a shirt of decent quality in a decent cloth will last a long time if properly cared for.
    Or Noiret.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Is Noiret any faster than Charvet's minimum two week turnaround for a first fitting on a bespoke shirt?

I only have a week in Paris in June.

- B

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

Lanvin can do you in about a week and may make an even better shirt than Charvet. At considerably more expense... The bespoke maker is only in during the week.

Noiret has exactly the same turnaround time, cloth selection and prices as Charvet.

16. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Lanvin can do you in about a week.

Interesting. Thank you.

- B

17. Tomasso

Noiret has exactly the same turnaround time, cloth selection and prices as Charvet.
    Yes but I've heard that they haven't as much handwork and the pattern matching leaves much to be desired.[​IMG]

18. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

The difference in price between the fully hand finished shirts of Matuozzo and the semi hand finished is not that great.

Sign. Giuseppina Sabatini in Rome makes a great shirt for the money, there is not as much handwork compared to Anna's shirts. But if you cannot afford Matuozzo, Sabatini is a good and cheaper alternative. What do I think? Anna's shirts are indeed better. One note about Sabatini, she is well liked by the people of Noveporte - not that it means anything.

edit: one note about the 'swelled' edges/bombarozzo, I do my own ironing and have no problems with it. Other shirt makers also have bombarozzo on the cuffs.

19. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

What do the pundits think of Merolla's shirts from Naples?

20. savvyibd

savvyibd Well-Known Member

Flying to southern Italy is itself a huge barrier. That's what makes Anna Matuozzo less accessible and why it's exaggerating to say people are 'flocking' to her now. By nature of the fact that she's harder to get to than your nearest Neiman Marcus, her popularity will always remain somewhat limited.

I know this topic is old, but I'm glad somebody showed this to me. I don't think that getting to Naples is that difficult. First, it's Italy. There's so much to do. Second, you can take direct flights from NYC to FCO. Or you can do LHR to FCO and then take a train. Granted, the trains need to be running, and the smell may bother you this summer, but I'm sure if people want to take a holiday, or are on business, it's not as big a deal as people make it. Sure, it's not as easy as walking into NM, but how many times a year do you go to NM for MTM clothing? I would have new stuff made every 4 months and most tailors will let you keep fabrics on file and if they still have them, you can simply call them and it'll be made to your pattern, so subsequent trips really aren't that needed - unless you want a wonderful pizza.