1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Android phone recommendations/discussion?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by ysb, Jun 17, 2010.

1. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Got Epic on Monday; was at a conference all week so have not had a ton of time to play with it. Initial impressions:

-Freaking big, but not uncomfortable in the pocket
    -Much more slippery than the rubberized coating on my Touch - I am afraid I will drop it at some point (though to the above point, this makes it easier to get in and out of a pocket)
    -Sprint managed to upgrade me to SERO Premium w/o screwing anything up; even transferred my pick 3 (unlimited calls to any 3 numbers of my choosing; wasn't sure if they'd let me keep this perk)
    -Battery is not so great so far, but I haven't messed around with settings yet
    -Swype is great. Keyboard is nice, especially if you have to send emails while riding in a car/on the train. Dedicated number row ftw
    -AMOLED Screen is awesome (though I am comparing to a 3 year old 320x240 LCD), but I have a freaking stuck/dead pixel so I am gonna go swap it out

2. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

More impressions:

-Did the swap yesterday at the Sprint store; took a while but no issues. Actually I got to keep my original charger, so now I have two (which I suspect may come in handy if battery life doesn't improve)
    -Integration with gmail is cool, though I now have pretty much everyone I've ever emailed in my contact list. Synced my WinMo phone w/ Outlook and exported a .csv that I uploaded to gmail contacts, so I just have to go into that group to get my "real" contacts. One issue - I have about 5 or 6 email accounts linked to my gmail, and I don't see a way to choose which I send from in the gmail app
    -4G service seems spotty at best (and I'm a couple of blocks from city hall in Philly)
    -I was trying to take a picture the other day and it wouldn't let me open the camera because the battery was too low...annoying. Just let me try to take the damn picture and if it dies, it dies
    -I miss having a d-pad
    -Speed seems very good...boot up time faster than expected. Haven't noticed much in the way of slowdown
    -Again, swype is very, very cool

Any recommendations for must-have android apps?

3. sleekblackroadster

sleekblackroadster Well-Known Member

i took the battery cover off of my epic a few times and now the thin plastic 'soft touch' coating is starting to peel off around the bottom where you have to pry the cover.

my htc hero was in flawless condition after almost a year of use. i think htc really has superior hardware materials and fit and finish. after looking at the rear cover of the new g2 with nice aluminum i really wish i could have waited for the next flagship htc device for sprint. i do like enough things about the epic to have picked it over an evo tho.

4g has been phenomenal in downtown houston.

and yeah dcg i really really hate the built in low batt power save features. it shuts down most functions of the phone which should really be left to the user to decide. i need to search for a way to shut this off.

i'm getting a bit upset about no updates even on the froyo build progress.. no more touchwiz and sense and blur and whatever! don't these companies realize some of this stuff isn't worth it? it seems like enough users have been vocal about this by now.. and the mobile space has been relatively quick in responding to other areas of concern. we want our android updates. seriously.

4. Althis

Althis Well-Known Member

wow that was a bad idea to post that

5. kruze

kruze Well-Known Member

I just got the brand new htc hero from sprint. Using it with my sero plan. It's an awesome phone. Love android. This is coming from a winmo phone [htc diamond] and I absolutely hated both the phone [had resistive touch that I cant stand] and winmo [an operating system that is seriously the worst shit Ive ever used]. F winmo and any version of it. Ive had so much hate for my phone after a full month of using it. So for me, it was a night and day change going from that to a capacitive screen and android. Ive used the iphone briefly, still love the touch on those because its so responsive. But other than that, android and iphone OS offer similar functions.

6. Althis

Althis Well-Known Member

got a new evo after I dropped mine last night

rerooting and gonna flash my backups right now

7. Mauby

Mauby Well-Known Member

Just got the G2 (to replace my G1.) So far, I'd say it's an awesome little Android phone. It runs an almost-stock Android 2.2 Froyo. The OS is faaaast as there is no HTC Sense, Motoblur, TouchWiz, or any other skin to slow it down. The physical keyboard, for those who still like them, is pretty sweet although I do miss a dedicated row for numbers like the G1 had. For a phone, it's got some weight to it - which I like, feels solid. The screen resolution looks great. Camera takes pretty decent-quality cellphone photos. Not that I really care, but the speed tests show this is the fastest Android phone out on the market, beating out even the Nexus One. Of course, by November/December there'll probably be a faster phone out on the market. Right now, it's said that the G2 is "unrootable." Which means it will take hackers a few weeks to figure it out. I have no need to root the phone at this time, but for those who want to, keep that in mind. Ever since iJobs came out with the iPhone 4, there seems to be an obsession with having a smart phone with a front-facing camera. The G2 does NOT have one, so if you need an FFC this is not the smartphone for you. One cool bling-factor about the G2, that I didn't know about until I got it, is the way the chrome ring around the trackpad glows when you get a call, text, or have an alert. Any questions, ask me.

8. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

9. airportlobby

airportlobby Well-Known Member

Is it a bad idea to sign up for Verizon and one of their current phones? Will Ver's 4G (supposedly coming by the end of the year) make the current 3G offerings dinosaurs in 6 months? I don't want to have to mess around with upgrades or whatever any time soon. Will the 4G be mush quicker?

10. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Is it a bad idea to sign up for Verizon and one of their current phones? Will Ver's 4G (supposedly coming by the end of the year) make the current 3G offerings dinosaurs in 6 months? I don't want to have to mess around with upgrades or whatever any time soon. Will the 4G be mush quicker?
    3G will be around for a long time. If you need a phone now I'd wait until the Black Friday sales. Other than that its open season.

11. airportlobby

3G will be around for a long time. If you need a phone now I'd wait until the Black Friday sales. Other than that its open season.

I think I'll pick up a free Samsung Fascinate on Amazon for Verizon. It suits my needs fine. But the thought that there will be much faster options available soon gives me pause. Oh well, I guess that's always the way. Who knows when the first 4G verizon phones will come out, anyway.

12. Mauby

Mauby Well-Known Member

^loving mine too

I'm very, very impressed with the battery life on the G2.

13. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

^funny, that's my only complaint. maybe the brightness is too high on mine

14. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Battery life on Epic sucks. Can't make it through a day. Also annoying is that the bar at the top isn't accurate - it'll stay near full, then drop off in a hurry. I've installed an app that gives me a percentage value, which seems much more accurate.

Been using wifi instead of 3G/4G when available. Have GPS off. Advanced Task Killer set to kill apps every 30 minutes. Waiting for Juice Defender to d/l from the Market; will set it up so that 3G/4G is off when the screen is off (except to run 1 minute every 15 or something along those lines).

Need to root so I can get rid of all the crappy stock apps that Sprint added, but I have never messed around with that sort of thing before.

15. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

Can anyone give me a quick rundown of the verizon android offerings? My sis wants a phone, does not want a physical keyboard. She went to the store last night and played with Incredible, Droid X, and Fascinate...and is in love with the Fascinate. Obviously I am well aware of Samsung's shitty rep in terms of getting updates out. Any other reason I should push her to go w/ HTC or Moto? Did a comparison on vzw's site and nothing major jumped out.

16. sonick

sonick Well-Known Member

In my experience, Wifi uses more battery life than 3G, and having ATK running in the background also puts a drain on my battery life.

17. airportlobby

The Fascinate's GPS is kinda crappy/hit or miss. Not very reliable if she needs it for navigation. Samsung has also been the slowest to upgrade to 2.2. Some people don't like Samsung's TouchWiz OS. The build quality feels a bit flimsier than the Incredible or DX (on the other hand, you can buy new back battery covers cheap, so you can beat it up pretty good). I've heard the call quality is better on the DX. Also, Verizon put a bunch of bloat on the Fascinate, including making the default search Bing.

I like mine, but it has a few drawbacks. I think all three phones have some weak points. The Fascinate has the nicest screen, and a few other strengths over the moto/htc competition.

18. Althis

Althis Well-Known Member

is the epic running 2.2 or 2.1 still? if 2.2 you don't need task killers

19. dcg

dcg Well-Known Member

In my experience, Wifi uses more battery life than 3G, and having ATK running in the background also puts a drain on my battery life.

Interesting on both points...it had seemed to me that Wifi was using less battery than 3G. I'll see what happens if I remove ATK.

The Fascinate's GPS is kinda crappy/hit or miss. Not very reliable if she needs it for navigation. Samsung has also been the slowest to upgrade to 2.2. Some people don't like Samsung's TouchWiz OS. The build quality feels a bit flimsier than the Incredible or DX (on the other hand, you can buy new back battery covers cheap, so you can beat it up pretty good). I've heard the call quality is better on the DX. Also, Verizon put a bunch of bloat on the Fascinate, including making the default search Bing.

I like mine, but it has a few drawbacks. I think all three phones have some weak points. The Fascinate has the nicest screen, and a few other strengths over the moto/htc competition.

Yeah, seems there's no clear cut winner. From what I've seen there's no strong reason to steer her away from the Fascinate, since that's what she preferred in store.

is the epic running 2.2 or 2.1 still? if 2.2 you don't need task killers

2.1, with no 2.2 in sight [​IMG]

20. airportlobby

Yeah, seems there's no clear cut winner. From what I've seen there's no strong reason to steer her away from the Fascinate, since that's what she preferred in store.

I like mine. It's the perfect size (bigger than the Inc, smaller than the X), comes loaded with swype, has an excellent music player and the best screen of any android. Plus it was free from Amazon. I only partially regret not waiting for Verizon to upgrade to LTE.