1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

American Geniuses

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by HORNS, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron Well-Known Member

I think of Dylan as a literary artist, in an oral tradition like Homer. I think his body of work is certainly canonical, as much as Twain or Whitman or Fitzgerald.

2. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Do you guys think there are any cinematic geniuses, individuals who have created masterpieces that are to be known and studied for centuries to come?

3. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Cassavetes

4. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

This summary must be from a 2 minute visit to Wiki.

5. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Really? I just read up on him and embarrassingly know nothing about him.

6. Rambo

Rambo Well-Known Member

Jim Henson. Steven Spielberg. James Cameron. Stanley Kubrick.

7. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

That is who pops into my head but still doesn't belong in the pantheon of great artists. Maybe.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  8. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i think what this thread lacks, and what may be behind some of the disagreement here, is to adress the difference between genius and talent. are they the same or are they different? is supremely creative talent the same as intellectual genius? is artistic genius the same as intellectual genius?

lebron james is certainly talented beyond what almost anyone else can achieve despite any amount of effort, but does that make him a genius? red auerbach was a motivator, coach and strategist extraordinaire, but within the realm of basketball, not science or economics. do either of these talents qualify these people as geniuses? the same can be said for musicians. hendrix was no doubt talented on a level beyond that of 99% of others. but for all i know he didnt know simple geometry. is he a genius?

i dont know the answer to these questions, and maybe there is no answer, its all very subjective in my opinion. but i think they are important questions to ask within the context of this conversation.

9. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Well-Known Member

in stitches is a genius.

10. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

That's from Wikipedia and I thought it was interesting.

That said, one name that came to mind - not American, but still - was Luca Turin, who recently argued for a theory of smell based on molecular vibration as opposed to the currently-dominant shape theory. I thought the theory held water when I first read up on it, but smarter people than me are still having this argument and haven't capitulated so I guess it's not settled yet.

11. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

if only my friend, if only.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  12. thinman

thinman Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
    1 person likes this.