1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

He puts in a little more handwork than other trouser makers, and has some interesting styling details. I mostly like him for the way he cuts trousers though -- the fit is nice and slim, with a slightly higher rise. He also does pleats very well,

2. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, will you continue to use him or are you satisfied with a cheaper (ie NSM) maker given the experience? Also, do you think he will be able to maintain his current travel schedule? He seems to be all over the place with a frequent travel schedule. I think he's going to wear himself out.

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

I'll probably use both. Ambrosi doesn't have a flat front pattern for me right now anyways, so I'll have to go somewhere else for those.

I obviously don't know if he'll be able to keep up his travel schedule, but he's been traveling like this for years.

4. TimelessMan

TimelessMan Well-Known Member

I did, last week.
    The trousers are perfect, the wait was frustrating but we got there in the end.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

Lovely trousers, but, nevertheless, unremarkable?

I completely get that if one is using a travelling Neopolitan suit tailor, it makes sense to ask "Hey could you use Ambrosi to make the pants"... what I don't get is this thing of travelling half way around the world for trousers and then waiting the best part of a year for them... Sorry I MUST be missing something here and I have done some pretty eccentric strange things to get hold of clothes myself.

To be clear, I am * not * casting any kind of aspersion on Mr. Ambrosi's work, it all looks great, as much as one can 'ooh and aah' over a pair of pants ... It's more the iGents I don't get who are going to such extreme lengths for a pair of pants. (?)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Well-Known Member

I can only speak for myself but amongst all the trousers I've tried, there are none that come even close to both the comfort and cut I obtained with Ambrosi. Now that's only me and I certainly can't say it's a general rule.
    Just that even Camps de Luca, Gieves & Hawkes and all the other tailors I've tried, including Italian ones, aren't bringing me the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  7. UnnamedPlayer

UnnamedPlayer Well-Known Member

You and I have vastly different definitions of the word "perfect"

3 people like this.
  8. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

I think you simply cannot tell anything from this picture.

4 people like this.
  9. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

In an earlier post you said you couldn't justify the cost of odd trousers from Ambrosi when you get a pretty good fit from Luxire. Why the change of heart now? I don't see the value in odd trousers that are bespoke if you can get them made to measure for a decent price and good fit.

10. SeamasterLux

That's exactly what I thought at that point in time. The main reason being that all my bespoke trousers (mainly part of bespoke suits) were not very impressive or did not justify the additional cost.

It took me one try with Ambrosi to change my mind. These are the only bespoke trousers for which I can justify to myself what I paid for them.

11. JensenH

JensenH Well-Known Member

+1

12. PSNY

PSNY Well-Known Member

What kind of tassle loafers are those?

13. SeamasterLux

Come on guys, give the man a break. Garments have to be worn to know how it feels like. A picture only says a bit and depending on the angle, the resolution, the posture, it can also not serve its purpose of showing of how great a pair of trousers or a jacket is in reality.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    2 people like this.
  14. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Well-Known Member

Have you can considered sending in your Ambrosi to Luxire to have them copy it?

I believe member @emptym sent in his Ambrosi trousers to Luxire, perhaps he can comment on how successfully they duplicated the fit.

15. Sander

Sander Well-Known Member

Yeah; my favorite though is when people try to assess the fit of shoes over the internet (with pictures). :lol:

I wouldn't do that for a variety of reasons.

1 person likes this.
  16. davesmith

davesmith Well-Known Member

Simon Crompton (Permanent Style) has a post about a pair of Ambrosi trousers he commissioned recently. I'm sure there's a few people here that will find it very interesting.

17. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

This one?

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2015/07/salvatore-ambrosi-bespoke-trousers-in-london.html

In it, he mentions that Ambrosi will be coming to London for a trunk show with The Armoury, and he mentions that he commissioned a pair of trousers from Ambrosi and that they had some issues, but he said that he'll address those things in another post.

Interestingly, Simon said:

"His reputation took some big knocks early on, with deliveries often late, but he seems to have learnt from that and got better."

Whilst I don't have any direct experience with Ambrosi, I'm not so sure that's correct.

If you order through a trunk show, Ambrosi seems to deliver the goods, but if you order as an individual, he often seems to neglect your order and to ignore you.

Andrew Doyle, in his A Timeless Man blog post, said:

"Over the years, Salva has had some well-published feedback online from others who have had to wait excessive periods of time for trousers, some saying that they never received them at all. Salva had assured me, when we caught up in Naples, that this was a thing of the past..."

Andrew then had to wait eleven months for his trousers. Despite that, Andrew then wrote:

"For anyone who would have concerns about commissioning trousers through Salva, I'd suggest not to worry too much. It seems that in recent times the delivery issue has improved and my experience is more of an exception than a rule."

There seems to be a bit of a contradiction there. Ambrosi assures Andrew that all will be well. Andrew waits eleven months for his trousers. Andrew then writes that "it seems that in recent times the delivery issue has improved..." Hmmm...

It's subjective, of course, as some people are clearly more tolerant than others. Speaking for myself, though, if I was spending 800 Euros on a pair of trousers, I was told that they'd arrive in a month, and I then waited eleven months for them, with my queries about the trousers' whereabouts having either been ignored or met with excuses that may even be characterised as falsehoods, I certainly wouldn't be ordering from that person again.

2 people like this.
  18. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

You can be damn sure that Ambrosi won't dare to piss off Crompton...

For everyone else, it seems to be more prudent to order through trunk shows in those heavy weight retail locations, i.e., Armoury, Leffott, etc.

19. EliodA

EliodA Well-Known Member

In the paragraph preceding that, Simon said:

"I admire Salva’s work ethic."

[​IMG]

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Well-Known Member

Well, he works very, very hard taking orders and having coffee with customers - it's just completing the orders that is sometimes the problem!

2 people like this.