1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

2. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

Very entertaining thread

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Well-Known Member

Why not contact him to ask about this?

4. dieworkwear

Is it true that Ambrosi made you a free pair of pants after you put your first pair of bespoke trousers through a laundry machine?

5. snikta

snikta Member

He repaired a torn seat seam. The pair was not replaced with another.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  6. dieworkwear

Because you put a pair of bespoke trousers through a laundry machine?

I don't know the full story of your order. But if he indeed fixed your trousers -- after you put them through a laundry machine -- that seems like something nice enough to mention.

This thread has all sorts of people weighing in when they themselves would never order bespoke pants anyway. So Journeyman mostly comes in here -- and other threads -- for gossip, saying elsewhere that he can't believe Ambrosi charges a thousand dollars for pants or that delays happen with custom clothing.

Well, Ambrosi's contemporaries on Savile Row charge more. So yes, you can get a pair of cheaper pants off the rack or custom through Luxire, but those aren't exactly apple to apple comparisons.

Yes, there were delivery issues a few years ago. And yes, snikta might have been waiting a while for his pants. I've been waiting a year for six pairs of bespoke trousers from another maker -- wait times happen with custom clothing. In other threads on this forum, you see people bring up long wait times and unexpected delays all the time. Anyone ever order custom shoes from Edward Green?

As far as I know, Ambrosi hasn't ripped anyone off. He settled the old accounts and he's expanded his workshop, so that he can take in the new influx of orders. People in this thread like to make jokes that he's had delays because he's lazy, but it's actually the opposite. He's had delays initially because he grew too fast and -- since he's maintained his quality standards -- he wasn't able to deliver given his workshop capacity. He's now expanded his workshop, and although delays sometimes occur (as with almost every bespoke product in the world -- especially small, niche makers), he delivers.

This is what I understand so far of your case:

1) Ambrosi fixed your pants after you put your bespoke trousers in a laundry machine, and he shipped them to NYC for free
    2) You didn't pay for your full order, which is why you didn't get your flannel trousers. Delivery happens when you actually pay your balance -- as is the case with every other bespoke tailoring house
    3) I'm told that the construction you photographed is not wrong, it's just a different construction. I think you should email him about it, however, if you have issues.

This comes across like a Noodle case, where someone slags off a business online while only telling half the facts (and thus not the truth). If you say Ambrosi didn't deliver your pants, maybe you should also mention you haven't paid your balance. If you say he has crappy service, maybe you should mention that time he fixed your pants for free after you threw them in the laundry machine. The only difference between this case and Noodles is that Ambrosi isn't on this forum to defend himself.

7 people like this.
  7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

the trousers were
    re-made

i was informed of
    the incident
    and saw teh photo
    you sent

ambrosi had
    to buy the same
    fabric
    and remake your
    trousers for an
    error of yours
    for
    free..
    and who
    paid for
    that
    ?
    would another
    maker extend
    such a service
    ?

and the trousers
    were shipped
    to you at
    his cost

4 people like this.
  9. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

RIP snitka.

2 people like this.
  10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Well-Known Member

lol at the name of the spoiler.

2 people like this.
  12. kulata

kulata Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. jedwards

jedwards Well-Known Member

Shocked that someone would put bespoke trousers in a washing machine. Even if they were cotton, but that's another issue I suppose.

Anyone can twist, or exclude, any facts to present a case in a favourable light toward their 'truth'. The Australian guy who was waiting almost a year and had to chase him up on social media... Well, it's hard to know what to make of that really. Will you be trying this case next, with new dramatic, previously unseen evidence?

I don't like this thing you keep writing though DieWorkwear "they were never going to buy anyway" - something a little arrogant and condescending about that. You don't know what people's bespoke plans and budgets are, so why dismiss them so high-handedly, or is this your "need 11 suits from the same tailor to be considered a real customer" moment? :foo:

2 people like this.
  14. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Well-Known Member

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This thread delivers in so many ways......

15. poorsod

poorsod Well-Known Member

I've no problem putting bespoke cotton or linen pants in the laundry machine. I don't like the way cotton feels after dry cleaning. Also, my understanding is that dry cleaning is a not good option for cotton because cotton can dessicate and be more brittle. But, I'm not sure if that's just a myth.

1 person likes this.
  16. TRINI

TRINI Well-Known Member

I didn't know washing machines were kryptonite to bespoke pants.

1 person likes this.
  17. bdavro23

bdavro23 Well-Known Member

Can someone post some actual pictures of Ambrosi trousers please? I have no dog in this fight, have no interest in besmirching this tailor's name or even in choosing sides. I am just really curious what all the fuss is about. The pictures from the blog a few pages back arent exactly flattering, but they also arent posed to best display the trousers. I googled and found a number of images, but all of them seemed to have pleats that were flared open and somewhat odd/ costumey fits. I am sure this is not whollly representative of the man's work, so I was hoping to see some examples of things that turned out well.

18. dieworkwear

I don't mean for it to come off that way. My point is: a lot of stuff is pretty normal when you're working with a small tailoring company. Emails sometimes don't get answered; delays sometimes happen. Unless you've experienced this first hand with other companies, you might hear these stories and think Ambrosi's a crook.

This isn't to excuse the problems in the past. I think he really did have some production issues. But that laundry machine guy above also isn't the only person who has only told half a story. Some people who have complained also didn't get their trousers because they hadn't finished paying for old orders. Others didn't get remakes because they didn't want to send their old trousers back, and Ambrosi didn't want to let them have two sets of trousers (when they only paid for one set).

I also think there are a lot of people who come into this thread to shit it up or to revel in gossip (Journeyman, Jensen, and others). They'll say things like they'll never buy from such a dishonest person, but they were never going to buy bespoke trousers in the first place -- so that kind of comment just adds to this sort of crazy, negative, pile-on that happens in this thread. It makes it difficult for anyone to say anything good about him because they don't want to get involved in this thread. It also makes it impossible for this thread to move on. The guy has had three or four years behind him since that initial delivery fiasco -- which means thousands of fulfilled orders. But nobody can focus on that because of the people who come into this thread to cause drama.

There's nothing really else to them. If you don't like what you see, then you don't like them. If you like that style, however, and you're not able to go to Naples to try other makers, then Ambrosi is the only source. I happen to like the style, but if you don't, that's OK. His work is probably the easiest to see of any bespoke trouser maker. Just do a Google Images search of Ambrosi. He (Salvatore) himself doesn't wear a style that's indicative of his own work, but that's because he doesn't have time to make things for himself. If you look at The Armoury guys, they're a good representative of what you'd get if you order. But again, if you don't like them, that's OK.

1 person likes this.
  19. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I have never put bespoke trousers of any fabric in the wash. I just assume it would ruin the innards. Like, the waistband interlining would shrink at a different rate than the outer fabric or something.

1 person likes this.
  20. Despos

Despos Well-Known Member

That's what I've been told by trouser makers. The unsettling and separation of the layers are very difficult to press and make it look right after a washing. If the interlinings shrink, it won't ever be the same.

I know several will want to respond. " I do it all the time and never had a problem"

There will be an illuminating review of Ambrosi trousers on Made by Hand when Jeffery gets around to it

1 person likes this.