1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Am I Crazy? Reality Check Needed...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by wannabefree, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Huntsman

Huntsman Well-Known Member

You're in legal/finance now, but I'm not sure you have all that much of a business plan...

Also, being an engineer I can tell you that most sectors are seeing serious outsourcing, especially software. I can't imagine something as low-level as app development staying domestic -- hard to keep up with the attrition of technology without a flock of coders. But you...worked for a summer coding. Yay. I don't think that gives you enough experience to even oversee the hacks.

Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you live to sell it? Do you know what you want to
    develop? And do you have the skillz -- because if you don't, starting out when it's just you will be tough.

I'm all for dreams, but you'd better be able to nail those questions. Doesn't sound like you're there.

~H

2. wannabefree

wannabefree Member

You're in legal/finance now, but I'm not sure you have all that much of a business plan... Also, being an engineer I can tell you that most sectors are seeing serious outsourcing, especially software. I can't imagine something as low-level as app development staying domestic -- hard to keep up with the attrition of technology without a flock of coders. But you...worked for a summer coding. Yay. I don't think that gives you enough experience to even oversee the hacks. Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you live to sell it? Do you know what you want to develop? And do you have the skillz -- because if you don't, starting out when it's just you will be tough. I'm all for dreams, but you'd better be able to nail those questions. Doesn't sound like you're there. ~H
    Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate it. I'm very excited about my venture. I spend hours after work reading SDK documentation and writing snippets of code. I suppose I do not have exactly the right experience to guarantee success, but who does? I want to take some risks in my life to find my true calling. I've played it safe for far too long. Plus, with 8 years of living expenses saved up, I won't be ruined if I can't get off the ground. I'm giving myself two years max. If I fail, I'll go crawling back to finance/law (ugh) and continue to live my life as a cowardly rat. But yeah, it will be an uphill battle.

3. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

go back to school and become a teacher. pretty awesome job.

4. Helix

Helix Well-Known Member

go back to school and become a teacher. pretty awesome job.

Then why is it that ever teacher I ever had in high school wanted to quit?

5. thenanyu

thenanyu Well-Known Member

Then why is it that ever teacher I ever had in high school wanted to quit?

They probably became teachers because that was one of their limited career options. They got paid very little and had to live off of it. OP has cash in the bank, so he can live modestly in more places in America for a long time without feeling the pinch.

6. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think your best plan is to move to DC and become a lobbiest. Or Ottawa, if you want to stay in the farm leagues.

7. CBrown85

CBrown85 Well-Known Member

A lot of people hate their jobs and they're a vocal minority. Teaching is pretty gratifying if you ask me. I sleep at night just fine.

8. Piobaire

A lot of people hate their jobs and they're a vocal minority. Teaching is pretty gratifying if you ask me. I sleep at night just fine.

What type of teacher are you? I mean, "a lot of people" = vocal minority?

9. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

Or he could just find a partner and become one of these guys:

[​IMG]

LOVE IT.

Gotta go find that movie and watch it again.. SOOO full of awesomeness.

10. Flambeur

Flambeur Well-Known Member

I knew tons of teachers who were the most miserable people ever. It depends. Some love it and are made for it, and some are not.

I remember having a HS history teacher who used to be an M&A attorney and quit to teach, awesome guy, loved his job.

11. GQgeek

GQgeek Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate it. I'm very excited about my venture. I spend hours after work reading SDK documentation and writing snippets of code. I suppose I do not have exactly the right experience to guarantee success, but who does? I want to take some risks in my life to find my true calling. I've played it safe for far too long.

Plus, with 8 years of living expenses saved up, I won't be ruined if I can't get off the ground. I'm giving myself two years max. If I fail, I'll go crawling back to finance/law (ugh) and continue to live my life as a cowardly rat.

But yeah, it will be an uphill battle.

SDK for what?

12. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

People live on only 200K a year [​IMG]

13. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

OP: Yes you are crazy.

Consider this: the world economy is in a major downturn, the headlines are downers, people are at each other's throats. Intense hatred and pessimism is at a high point right now, and that is likely coloring your perspective relative to your job. Wait for the clouds to clear (i.e.: stay at your current job for another year or two) and then check your perspective.

In the meantime: take up a pastime that gives back to the community: Habitat for Humanity, big brother/big sister, et. - some sort of volunteer work. Even if you manage to not like what you're doing, the volunteer work should open your eyes to how lucky you've been thus far.

14. Piobaire

People live on only 200K a year [​IMG]

In Fargo.

15. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Well-Known Member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    ^There are about 7 people in town who make that kind of money; the rest of us are barely making things work at $37,328 per.

16. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Well-Known Member

^There are about 7 people in town who make that kind of money; the rest of us are barely making things work at $37,328 per.

I'd kill for 37k a year.

17. scarphe

scarphe Well-Known Member

if you are serious cut you costs your costs and wait until you have around 500k usd , meanwhile get training in anotherfield you might beinterested in doing, or possibly plan to start your own small company in the saem thing you are doing now in another country where you could be ok, the latter happens quite often.
    ghana, colombia wherever.
    but prpeapred for to live simpler life in any event.

18. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

I'd kill for 37k a year.

I remember when I broke 30K in a year and I felt like a big-timer.

19. thekunk07

thekunk07 Well-Known Member

no feeling like making your first million. my only lament is that it took almost 4 years of the standard 250k to get there.

20. Piobaire

no feeling like making your first million. my only lament is that it took almost 4 years of the standard 250k to get there.

I'm working on my third million.

Gave up on my first two.