1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Am I a Schmuck to Pay Retail

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jaijeffcom, Apr 26, 2012.

1. buzzron

buzzron Well-Known Member

Retail is good if you know how to pick the right one for the price.

2. brokencycle

brokencycle Well-Known Member

He hasn't been back in four days to let us know how it went. Perhaps he took the bad advice of Doc or Birks.

3. SirGrotius

SirGrotius Well-Known Member

You made the right choice. Fully canvassed, great cut, awesome quality, decent price. You're paying for the experience and selection at Barney's, too. Good luck finding that size discounted in RLBL if we're talking about one of the solids.

I ran into a similar situation recently when I picked up a Dior suit, full retail, and my wife was not happy. A little later she was trying on the jacket, she liked it so much!

4. Kiwi Man

Kiwi Man Well-Known Member

I agreed, but I have to admit that I cannot resist good deal online. Sometimes, it is like playing a lottery. If clothes fit, you win. If not, well, you lose.

TO the OP, when you go and buy something off Barneys, you do not only for the product, but the service as well. I remember shopping at Barneys and how much I enjoyed it!

5. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

or maybe the mrs has taken drastic measures. :paranoia:

6. Owen Meany

Owen Meany Well-Known Member

HA! My first watch was an Oris TT3 for which I paid FULL price ....What a lesson that was...(never paid MSRP or close for a watch since). Still have it though....

I have noticed that I pay full retail on clothing more and more, I am just tired of the "hunt" and settling for something I didn't really love or didn't fit just right because it was a good price: or the alternative of never finding something I really loved or that fit well on sale! I won't shy away from a bargain and still visit the rack, off 5th, etc. but getting a good price it is not near as important as it once was.

I now dress better, feel better about my looks and don't stress about it at all. The wife does have an issue with the number of shoes I have purchased over the last year though...

7. jaijeffcom

jaijeffcom Member

I will treasure this reply always.

8. jaijeffcom

jaijeffcom Member

Too true. (I had to look it up, though, which probably really proves I'm not, huh?)

9. connor09

connor09 Well-Known Member

Everyone pays for retail once in awhile, it's not a sin.

10. jaijeffcom

jaijeffcom Member

I just got a refund check in the mail for overpaid property tax escrow. It's enough for another retail suit. Thanks, JubeiSpiegel! I'm sure your wishes had a hand in it. Yayyyy.

11. jaijeffcom

jaijeffcom Member

I really enjoy this forum. I'm new on it, but I can see I need to come back more often.

12. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Well-Known Member

The world is in balance again :slayer:

How about some pics OP?