1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alternatives to DivX?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by JesseJB, Jan 5, 2011.

1. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

+1 /\\ Avoid installing Codecs as much as possible. It'll mess things up.

Media Player Classic Home Cinema has built in codecs, DivX and Xvid included.

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/downlo...lassic-hc.html

As does VLC (I think).....well I *know* VLC has flv support built in natively, so I'm assuming it has Divx/Xvid too. Haven't used VLC in a while, I fell in love with Totem.

2. pseudonym

pseudonym Well-Known Member

I will never understand why people have anything other than VLC for playing video.

So yes, the answer is VLC for all your needs.

3. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I will never understand why people have anything other than VLC for playing video.

If I watched stuff on Windows I'd probably use VLC (or MPC), but Totem for Linux rocks.

4. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

If I watched stuff on Windows I'd probably use VLC (or MPC), but Totem for Linux rocks.

I use mplayer.

5. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

I use mplayer.

Don't use mplayer, but I LOVE mencoder. Only thing I can find that will convert the Kodak proprietary Quicktime video format into anything else. Even Quicktime itself can't convert the videos made on this Kodak Zi8 "flip cam" whatever the hell it is.

6. aphextwin07

aphextwin07 Well-Known Member

because MPC is better in certain aspects, VLC is better for others... at the end of the day though I think MPC is slightly better and I use it as a default.

7. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

because MPC is better in certain aspects, VLC is better for others... at the end of the day though I think MPC is slightly better and I use it as a default.

This man knows his shit.

8. ryoneo

ryoneo Well-Known Member

VLC and GoM player

9. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

+1, I always chose MPC over VLC when I was using Windows. Don't know why, I just preferred MPC.

10. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Well-Known Member

if on mac then DEF VLC, if on windows then Gom Player

11. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Not to derail, but IMO the question on the best video player is pretty cut and dry (VLC or MPC). But....what about the best audio/mp3 player? That's a much tougher, more subjective question. I use Audacious (Winamp clone for Linux), because I've been faithful to Winamp every since the very beginning.

I'm looking for something else, but can't settle for any of the other apps I tried. Didn't like Songbird, and I still can't see what all the hype is about over Amarok. Seems bloated for what it does, which is playing music.

12. Ataturk

Ataturk Well-Known Member

Winamp lite. It's basically unchanged since like 1997, as it should be.

13. Tokyo Slim

14. javyn

javyn Well-Known Member

Alright. Figured as much. I'll stick with Winamp/Audacious then. I just don't see the need or an audio player that scans your hard drive and makes libraries when I have an explorer window and well organized music directory.

I don't even use playlist files. Just generate my own playlists dragging the mp3s into the Winamp list.

15. willpower

willpower Well-Known Member

Not to derail, but IMO the question on the best video player is pretty cut and dry (VLC or MPC). But....what about the best audio/mp3 player? That's a much tougher, more subjective question. I use Audacious (Winamp clone for Linux), because I've been faithful to Winamp every since the very beginning. I'm looking for something else, but can't settle for any of the other apps I tried. Didn't like Songbird, and I still can't see what all the hype is about over Amarok. Seems bloated for what it does, which is playing music.
    Foobar 2000 is sweet. At least have a look. Tabbed playlists, purdy customization options, etc. Also support for audiophile quality VST plugins. http://www.foobar2000.org/

16. Tokyo Slim

I just don't see the need or an audio player that scans your hard drive and makes libraries when I have an explorer window and well organized music directory.

I never got that either. And it's not like I don't have a terabyte of media.

17. deadly7

deadly7 Well-Known Member

Not to derail, but IMO the question on the best video player is pretty cut and dry (VLC or MPC). But....what about the best audio/mp3 player? That's a much tougher, more subjective question. I use Audacious (Winamp clone for Linux), because I've been faithful to Winamp every since the very beginning.

I'm looking for something else, but can't settle for any of the other apps I tried. Didn't like Songbird, and I still can't see what all the hype is about over Amarok. Seems bloated for what it does, which is playing music.

I use:

Windows: Winamp
    Linux: XMMS

18. tphd

tphd Well-Known Member

People did not use VLC because they it did not do hardware acceleration until recently.