1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

altering sleeve length with stitching?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by luo6232, Jun 14, 2011.

1. luo6232

luo6232 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I recently purchased a navy borrelli blazer that is simply beautiful, however the sleeves are are about half an inch too long. I was taking it to get it tailored when my tailor told me that she would have to take the stitching by the buttons out and resew the buttons further upward to shorten the sleeve and not have it look like the buttons are right at the edge. However once she does that then she cannot resew the button stitching. Now how do you guys feel about this, should I go ahead and shorten it and take out the stitching or should I just leave it to be a tad long? I personally enjoy the look of the buttonhole, but im not sure if this detail is worth having my sleeves be too long.

2. Aldehyde

Aldehyde Well-Known Member

I've been told by my tailor they use a special machine to put the faux buttonhole stitching onto the sleeve, so after shortening you can either forgo the stitching, or have real buttonholes made.

I'd be interested to hear if my tailor was correct.

But definitely shorten the sleeves.

3. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

It looks far better to have proper length sleeves and no button holes (faux or working). Than to have sleeves that are half an inch too long and button holes (faux or working). If you are very much attached to the button holes you can see if she can shorten the sleeve at the shoulder. Which is MUCH riskier and requires far more skill. There was a thread about it 3 days or so ago, but I couldn't find it on a quick search. NVM.. Found it http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=249280

4. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Nobody cares about fake button holes, because it's so hard to notice them and they aren't required by any sartorial rule. Let her do it.

Alternatively, if you really want the fake stitching (I usually do), you can find a tailor that has a machine for it; it will be only slightly more expensive.

5. Grenadier

Grenadier Well-Known Member

Can she take it in at the shoulder?

6. luo6232

Thanks guys for the quick responses, I did not know any tailors had a machine that can resew the stitching?!?! Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma and its probably gonna be hard to find a tailor with one of those. And she maybe able but I am not willing to take the risk of doing it from the shoulder.

7. acecow

acecow Well-Known Member

Thanks guys for the quick responses, I did not know any tailors had a machine that can resew the stitching?!?! Unfortunately I live in Oklahoma and its probably gonna be hard to find a tailor with one of those. And she maybe able but I am not willing to take the risk of doing it from the shoulder.

Since those aren't working button-holes, don't shorten from the shoulder! Also, don't let her do the fake button stitching unless she knows what she's doing and has a machine for it. I once had an incompetent tailor do it by hand and the result was horrendous. I considered it a lesson learned.

8. luo6232

Thanks guys for all the help, I decided to go back and get the sleeves done without the stitching.

9. JamesX

JamesX Well-Known Member

If you ever visit places like NY, you can have the stitches put in then.

10. Todd6060

Todd6060 Active Member

If the sleeve has 4 buttons now could you just remove the bottom one and keep the other 3 where they are?

11. East Oakland

East Oakland Well-Known Member

If the sleeve has 4 buttons now could you just remove the bottom one and keep the other 3 where they are?

+1

I did this on a blazer that originally had four buttons on each sleeve. It allowed me to shorten the sleeves 1/2 inch.

12. bewing77

bewing77 Member

I don't see how this could be a problem at all. Most, if not all modern sewing machines have a button hole feature and it takes no special magic machine to do it on a jacket sleeve. Of course, it looks better if they are hand sewn if the tailor knows what he/she is doing.