1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Altenative to Nudie and APC

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mike C., Apr 4, 2005.

1. Mike C.

Mike C. Well-Known Member

You can pick up a pair of 501's in rigid denim for $35 on Amazon.com Edit: to fix link.

2. Mike C.

Yea, it's just plain rigid, raw denim; also indigo dyed. I've actually had a pair of these before. I washed them too soon as well, buy can remember the indigo dye bleeding in the rain.

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

The denim quality is not as good. A good dual ringspun denim (and whether it woven right or left hand) will really make a difference, so the ultimate effect will not be as striking. Will still work to some degree though.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

That, and the denim will begin to "pill" very quickly, rather than developing a "hard" finish.

5. Mike C.

so the ultimate effect will not be as striking.
    What is the effect exactly? The very visible pattern of wear?
    Yes, the complexity of the fades. But, hey... what do you expect for 35 bucks.

6. Cake

Cake Well-Known Member

I bought a pair of Gap selvedge jeans in unwashed black denim some weeks ago. List price 68 pounds in the UK, but going for 9.99 during a sale. 34" inseam with turnups, close to 40" with turnups unfolded. Fabric on my Nudie RR dry selvedge is slightly thicker, but quality and fit of the Gap is very apparent. Nice mismatched buttons (gold, silver, and bronze), straight fit, and an extra rivet near the bottom of the fly. Quite a steal at the price I got it for.

7. HitMan009

HitMan009 Well-Known Member

LA Guy,

For an idiot such as myself, please indulge me as to what a "hard" finish is and where can I find a good example of this.

On a side note, I have tried on many of these designer jeans and although I think they are quite nice, I still find it hard to justify such a price for an article of clothing that was basically created for blue collar working class people. I have to admit I am not the one to actively search for these jeans on a discount which is maybe something I should start doing. However when I do stumble on sale, it is either not the right size or the wash is just horrible. Personally, I wouldn't mind at all to buy a pair of jeans with no distressing(sorry, I don't know all the correct terms) as I would rather have them come from real wear and tear then factory done.