1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Alligator / Crocodile Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SpooPoker, Oct 16, 2009.

1. Exit English

Exit English Well-Known Member

I only wish I owned a pair. I love very odd textured shoes though. I saw a pair of pony hair chukkas the other day and they looked damn fine. Couldnt justify $300 for them though.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

price on request.. So I think it will be a large number hehe.

HAH. I just pm'd you.. lets see if I pass out.

To change the discussion a little, lets talk about Allig / Croc ataches.... Deliciously ostentatious, or.....?

3. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

mr. monty would know for sure, but I believe I saw them or a pair like them in Saks (Chicago) and that they are Mezlan. I could be mistaken though.

You are correct. Saks had a nice sale back in August.[​IMG]
    Mezlan can be hit or miss. They do better with exotics than they do with calf shoes.
    This pair below is about 12 or 13 years old and not to "pimpy"? New strings are onthe way [​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

4. satorstyle

satorstyle Well-Known Member

5. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

I think a symmetrical toe goes a long way with tiled leathers. Some of those lasts are curvy and look a bit odd with the straight lines of the scales. [​IMG] Alas, not mine...
    These are among the most beautiful and electrifying pair of shoes I have ever seen. A Masterpiece; each of them. The last they were constructed on even reminisces the animal. Just superb! How do you maintain the leather? What product(s) do you use & how often please.?

6. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

[​IMG][/IMG]

Beautiful boots. The toe and overall shape gives respect to the animal they came from.

7. henluc

henluc Well-Known Member

+1. I think they are gaudy and ugly and I don't see the point of spending the money that people spend on exotic skin shoes. Most of them (and yes even the ones posted on this thread) all look like wanna be pimp shoes.

Do you think that a pimp commissioned the first pair of exotic shoes?

8. henluc

henluc Well-Known Member

Knowing a little bit about the history of shoes, I am inclined to think your bias is something of a very recent thing, historically speaking, and perhaps informed by images and associations that might be suspect, at best.

And perhaps...hopefully...a cultural and temporal anomaly.

But that's just my opinion. And you have yours...and you're welcome to it, as far as I'm concerned.

Well stated!

9. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Do you think that a pimp commissioned the first pair of exotic shoes?

Probably not, but apparently whoever designs 90% of the exotic shoes made today have pimps in mind for their market.

I stick to american alligator accessories - I have wallets and belts. I doubt I'll ever own exotic shoes, although I just saw some boots with ostrich leg highlights that I really liked, and I'd consider the black chukkas listed above.

10. lasbar

lasbar Well-Known Member

Well stated!

Au contraire , my friends. Exotic leathers were used by the gentry to mark their social and economical difference with the Plebe.

Crocodile has always been very expensive and the cheap examples you can find are not using the same skins than the bespoke models on display..

Look at the fashion pictures from the thirties and the exotic skins are present especially matched with flannel.

11. meister

meister Well-Known Member

Edwin Clapps - the venerable US shoemaker (RIP[​IMG] )

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now on B&S

12. PipPip

PipPip Well-Known Member

I think I'm with some of the other UK posters on here, I don't like them at all and would not wear any of them. One of my work colleagues wears shiny black snakeskin shoes to work that apparently cost him a lot. In my opinion he looks like a bit of twat in them though.

13. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

not in my daily rotation:

[​IMG][/quote]

it's nile perch executed by Alexandru Maftei, Vienna

[​IMG]

this is a nice showcase and they look fabulous.

but it's more fabulous in bruno's sense. imo, the pointy toe takes away the natural look a shoe should have.

14. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Prior to my SF days I made a huge mistake. A friend of mine ( a whale like Larry Flynt ) was given a pair of hand made sea turtle boots made for Larry Flynt. My friend didn't care for the boots and he gave them to me. I am an 11D and the boots were an 11 1/2D ( so a wee bit too big ). I gave them back to my friend and don't know what I was thinking! Had it been during SF days, the boots could have been 12 & 1/2s and I would have kept them.

this reminds me of a visit to a bespoke shoemaker recently:

a forumite asked me for the favour to pay this workshop a visit while in vienna, for the reason he needs assistance with the research for a portrait of some shoemakers in one of the capitals of shoemaking.

i knew the shop since years but i never walked in, so off i went to mr. karl weiner, of whom i have read a short introduction in the german forum newsaboutshoes.de.

first of all, his shoes are in a class of its own and his small shop has a lot of charme. after our nice conversation about shoes and declining leather quality, i found out, that his business model includes handmade shoes for "walk ins". in other words, he stocks some basic models in various sizes and colours. having some sf shoe nuts in mind i.e. vox, luk-cha, phat guido, foo etc., who have smaller feet, i asked politely about size 7 or 7.5

mr. weiner, who was looking for something in a drawer on the bottom of the counter, looked up and said: what do you mean 7 or 7.5? the difference is 0.012 of an inch. so why would somebody care? i nodded silently, whith the thought flashing through my head, ...but these guys on styleforum think otherwise...

15. meister

meister Well-Known Member

mr. weiner, who was looking for something in a drawer on the bottom of the counter, looked up and said: what do you mean 7 or 7.5? the difference is 0.012 of an inch. so why would somebody care? i nodded silently, whith the thought flashing through my head, ...but these guys on styleforum think otherwise...

You are right.. SF in a nutshell...

16. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

t mr. weiner, who was looking for something in a drawer on the bottom of the counter, looked up and said: what do you mean 7 or 7.5? the difference is 0.012 of an inch. so why would somebody care? i nodded silently, whith the thought flashing through my head, ...but these guys on styleforum think otherwise...
    Well, no disrespect intended but Mr. Weiner was wrong. The difference between a 7 and a 7.5 is, on the American scale, one-sixth of an inch--0.166, if my math is correct. It is not much less, or more, on either the Paris scale or the UK scale. Now, 0.166 is a long, long way from 0.012 especially when you consider that the foot can feel 0.0625 inch difference in girth. Feet have more nerve endings than any other part of the body except the hands, the face, and the genitals. And the foot is one of the most architecturally complex structures in nature....bearing, balancing, and transferring more weight per square inch than many large office buildings. Why indeed would anyone care?

17. jamaican

jamaican Well-Known Member

Au contraire , my friends. Exotic leathers were used by the gentry to mark their social and economical difference with the Plebe.

Crocodile has always been very expensive and the cheap examples you can find are not using the same skins than the bespoke models on display..

Look at the fashion pictures from the thirties and the exotic skins are present especially matched with flannel.

Yeh..l. I agree. I have seen some old Esquire plate with a grey herringbone heavy looking suit with some brown croc or gator Oxfords... sublime.

Enough talking Lasbar: can I get some pictures or what! J

18. DWFII

DWFII Well-Known Member

Probably not, but apparently whoever designs 90% of the exotic shoes made today have pimps in mind for their market.
    What I'd like to ask all of those who share this opinion is just exactly what is pimpish or "pimp-y"? What image is conjured by the word? Who is this terrible archetype...this boogy man pimp...that we breathe life into to haunt ourselves and frighten little children? Historically, the most stereotypical pimps have always drawn their fashion sense from the general populace and especially the wealthier and most sophisticated strata. Are today's style currencies tomorrow's bete noir? Come to that, pimping has changed immensely in the last 100 years...We don't see the real "pimps" among us because they are so common that we don't notice, anymore. Look around you...you can see pimps all over--they are the politicians, actors and actresses, the Hollywood hangers-on, the owners of sports franchises, the real estate moghuls, the ad men...etc. . And no, they are not all bad people but they are are all trying to sell you something that you don't need on behalf of people who have no scruples. I suspect, today's pimps are exactly like yesterday's--they are people who value impression over substance. Who, in a near hysterical frenzy to project an image of sophistication and importance, will buy a name rather than a product. Who never really wonder why a leather insole is better than a paper insole or a hidden outsole channel preferable to "stitching aloft." Who curl up into themselves for no other reason than some anonymous self-proclaimed fashionista's disapprobation. Maybe it's me...maybe I'm the odd man out but I think "Style" is comprised of objective quality melding with fit and colour harmony...and mixed in with a generous amount of an appropriate sense of occasion. Surely it has more to do with one's self confidence than public perception. Alligator and crocodile have long histories of being the most elegant and sought after leathers for shoes. A good deal of that is simply because it is a leather that in many ways surpasses almost any other for comfort, for maintaining it good looks, and for longevity.

19. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Well-Known Member

.........mr. weiner, who was looking for something in a drawer on the bottom of the counter, looked up and said: what do you mean 7 or 7.5? the difference is 0.012 of an inch. so why would somebody care? i nodded silently, whith the thought flashing through my head, ...but these guys on styleforum think otherwise...

You are right.. SF in a nutshell...

Why indeed would anyone care?

The English/American size is 1/3 inch long 8.5mm, ergo 1/2 size is 4.2mm.
    The continental size (Paris Point, also known as ‘Stitch‘) is 6.6mm long. So 1/2 English size is 2/3 of a ‘Stitch, a continental size.

Not only does the length differ, the actual ball measurement (circumference) will increase with every 1/2 size by about 2 1/2mm, 4mm per ‘Stitch‘;
    the width-markings, E, F or whatever, remaining the same.

Why would sombody care? Because a shoe size 7 1/2 E is 4mm longer and 3 mm wider than one in size 7 E.

It really doesn’t speak for the quality of Mr Weiner’s measurements, if he believes that there is no difference between shoes when one is 4 mm longer and 3 mm wider.

Why would somebody care? Because 4 mm in length and 3mm in circumference will make a lot of difference.

20. fritzl

fritzl Well-Known Member

Well, no disrespect intended but Mr. Weiner was wrong. The difference between a 7 and a 7.5 is, on the American scale, one-sixth of an inch--0.166, if my math is correct. It is not much less, or more, on either the Paris scale or the UK scale. Now, 0.166 is a long, long way from 0.012 especially when you consider that the foot can feel 0.0625 inch difference in girth. Feet have more nerve endings than any other part of the body except the hands, the face, and the genitals. And the foot is one of the most architecturally complex structures in nature....bearing, balancing, and transferring more weight per square inch than many large office buildings. Why indeed would anyone care?
    certainly, mr. weiner didn't make his conclusion in inch but in mm, so it was 3 mm and the mistake with the conversion would sit on my site now. but what made him put a general conclusion, wasn't the fact, that he don't know about the importance of fit, but the fact that 3 mm in length is not necessarily noticeable and his ability to fit a pair in question. of course, with the latter a personal appearance is necessary. ps: the nature of an anecdote are not the facts and the details, but the truth they carry in them, that's why we should care, indeed. not the pickiness.