• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BRIMSTONE

Reaction score
If these shoe were in a EG size 7 I would have jumped on them!!!!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BRIMSTONE
I've got a weakness for crocodile and alligator shoes. I've just recently purchased the Ralph Lauren Bleekers on the Grapevinehill site. What do you guys think of them?
This shoe is nice with one of the highest quality gator skins I have ever seen. They're also extremely comfortable. Enjoy!

Bellison

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whymakemedothis
goes well with this

681940713_Wf6tj-X2.jpg

Who is this Harvard tool? I am ashamed for him.

Bellison

Reaction score
The Corthay's skin is nice. But the shape is hideous. They look like witch shoes.

Originally Posted by carl_paris
I think these are pretty spectacular:

corthaybespoke.jpg

Bespoke Corthay.

Also, as a shameless self-promotion, I have these in the B&S right now (9.5D UK):

vincciframed.jpg

Bellison

Reaction score
Alligator and Crocodile are certainly sustainable. You are doing a service to the gator farmers in states like LA if you buy. Hermes has been hording croc skins from these farmers. Read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/us...0hermes&st=cse

Originally Posted by DWFII
I'm not sure about the crocodile situation but there are several operations in the southern United States that farm alligator. That's all I buy--American Alligator. So it is a renewable resource, not in any way endangered.

Side by side the most significant difference is that crocodile has a pore at the top of each tile....sometimes hard to see. And crocodile tends to have smaller tiles for the same size skins. But if you choose small skins to work with--a 30 cm skin will make one full cut oxford--the difference may not be noticeable.

On the other hand, if you get a dinosaur of a croc and cut from the throat it is sometimes indistinguishable (for the inexperienced eye) from sea turtle. Which, in turn, increases the demand for sea turtle.
frown.gif
frown.gif
Even if only marginally.

As for wear properties, alligator is much, much denser than calf skin. In the last 30 years or so alligator and crocodile have been tanned with more modern chemicals and they are comparatively much softer than the old Bombe' finished skins. That said, even with a razor sharp knife it can be difficult to cut some of the tiles that verge into the back or in the tail. So, a shoe made with tail leather, for instance, will not crease as finely or conform to the foot as easily as a shoe made with belly or throat. That can affect comfort.

On the other hand any leather that develops deep and fine creases or, more importantly, has a texture that creates extreme variations in surface will collect dirt and dust and this is where the shoe will deteriorate first. In many localities, a certain percentage of dirt is actually comprised of fine volcanic rock or glass--the High Desert of Central Oregon is one such place.

Alligator is very scuff resistant and very durable. I don't have any hard evidence but I would guess that the newer tannages of alligator will out last calfskin four to one, all other things (like cleaning and conditionaing) being equal.

A 30cm skin--measured across the belly--will run roughly $300.00-$500.00 wholesale. For a full cut oxford you would need two. That should give you a starting figure for pricing shoes made with alligator. Of course that's the "St. James Av." quality--the best belly cut with the smallest tiles.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
Alligator and Crocodile are certainly sustainable. You are doing a service to the gator farmers in states like LA if you buy. Hermes has been hording croc skins from these farmers. Read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/30/us...0hermes&st=cse

I nominate this post for nonsensical post of the year. Nominations are due within 1 week so get them in people.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bellison
Who is this Harvard tool?
I thought that was an Hermès ad.............

Bellison

Reaction score
That looks like a Harvard sweater. He's standing in front of crew shells.

Originally Posted by Tomasso
I thought that was an Hermès ad.............

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 518aata
Although I'm an otherwise fairly conservative dresser, I have a weakness for alligator and crocodile shoes and accessories. I have several pair, but found that I don't have many occasions where I think they are "appropriate". So, I recently sold these Allen Edmonds on B&S:

Shoes026.jpg

and I'm currently offering this pair of Nettletons:

Shoes009.jpg

Even though I still have another couple of pairs in my closet, I hope I don't eventually regret thinning the herd with these sales.

How much for the Nettletons?

I couldn't find it on any link.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BRIMSTONE
I've got a weakness for crocodile and alligator shoes. I've just recently purchased the Ralph Lauren Bleekers on the Grapevinehill site. What do you guys think of them?

How about some pics of yours?

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
While I'm usually not into overly exotic leathers, I find crocodile and alligator leather shoes to be that wonderful little indulgence, a foil to over-restraint. That said, where I live you may occasionally find less tasteful people walking around in white/cream/greyish off-white imitation hornback leather slip-ons, which are probably one of the worst displays of ostentation the "metro" or "modern man" has brought society. Of course, this is all IMO.

Loudly

Reaction score

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Loudly
I am liking these, if they ever get into 3 digits:

Here: http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/i...&att_value=9.5

Someone put me out of my misery and buy them.

They are nice shoes, but baffling to me why some cut up skins would warrant that extraordinarily high price. Those G&Gs earlier in the page make me wet.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
They are nice shoes, but baffling to me why some cut up skins would warrant that extraordinarily high price. Those G&Gs earlier in the page make me wet.

Are we talking of the same pair on the website?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I'm not a fan of the calf/exotic combo either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads