1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Fanthom, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the AE collection a week ago, and I kind of like the brown Antibes, too. I didn't pay much attention to the chili Antibes, though I very much like the chili burnished.

What are your opinions of the dark brown burnished? I think it's beautiful, but they use it so sparingly that I'm afraid they'll soon drop it. I'd like to see it on more models, but with the introduction a few seasons ago of the brown Antibes and the popularity of lighter browns right now, I don't see that happening.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Thank you for your comments gentlemen. I have the Hancock in brown and my stepson has it in black, so I'll have to do the side-by-side comparison, Rider. I thought his black Hancocks looked very nice, but I certainly don't have as discriminating, discerning and educated an eye as yours, Ron. One problem I have encountered with my black A-Es is that after I have polished them and they have sat for awhile, a whitish discoloration appears, especially about the creases. Is this what is meant by the term "spidering," which I have seen in these forum but never known the full meaning of?

Agree with you, Teacher, about the dark brown burnished. The Byrons in this color are among my very favorite A-Es. For that reason, I wanted to get the Seneca, the only other lace-up they make in that color, but I found that they were not attractive looking on my big feet.

3. frankie lee

frankie lee Active Member

I need some new shoes for work (law firm). Hoping to upgrade from the world of Kenneth Cole. I've seen the many raves for Allen Edmonds on this board, but I'm looking for something a little less conservative. Can anyone recommend makers with a similar price point and a slightly more fashion forward sensibility?

Thank you for your help.

4. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

You can find all kinds of fashion-forward stuff at that price point. What you'll be unlikely to find is fashion-forward stuff of similar quality to AE at that price point. The Martegani or Borgioli lines at Francos are probably your best bet. http://www.francos.com

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Well-Known Member

I hear you, AE are well made shoes but they sure are boring, aesthetically. Personally I cant stand their lasts, completely uninteresting. You could try John Loakes (www.pediwear.co.uk) for similar priced shoes with a bit more style.

6. metaphysician

metaphysician Well-Known Member

7. designprofessor

designprofessor Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Antonio Maurizi, picked them up from bluefly.

8. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Well-Known Member

9. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

Those are awesome.

Wear them with your sharkskin suit! Duh!

10. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

Obviously a special order that was not picked up or never worn... I wonder why [​IMG]

11. odoreater

odoreater Well-Known Member

Who says AE only makes conservative shoes?

[​IMG]

12. CaptChaos

CaptChaos Well-Known Member

13. trogdor

trogdor Well-Known Member

Who says AE only makes conservative shoes?

[​IMG]

Is that photoshopped, or a (real) photo-op?

14. stach

stach Well-Known Member

Wear while pimping at the bridge club. [​IMG]

15. dah328

dah328 Well-Known Member

16. Roger

Roger Well-Known Member

Cap'n, those are some of the ugliest shoes I've ever seen--particularly the first pair you displayed. If you wear those on a stroll down Robson St., I guarantee you that someone will step all over them. [​IMG]

17. Teacher

Teacher Well-Known Member

Those sharkskins are quite old. You can tell by the darker sole (AE soles from the last couple of decades are a natural leather color). Very cool score.

18. JLibourel

JLibourel Well-Known Member

Sharkskin may not be to everyone's taste--but if you want a tough leather that is all but impervious to scuffs, scratches, gouges and general wear and tear, it's very hard to beat. I don't know anything better.

In training exercises I've had to roll on and crawl across sharp gravel wearing my sharskin holsters. A cowhide holster would have been irreparably marred, the sharkskin was unfazed.

19. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Who says AE only makes conservative shoes? [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Both at those shoes and him visiting AE.

20. alflauren

alflauren Well-Known Member

Is that photoshopped, or a (real) photo-op?

Real. They're red, white and blue, presented to him when he visited Allen-Edmonds.