• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds: Official Thread

My View

Reaction score
I have very wide and flat feet. For American shoes, they have to be in EEE fitting and for most English shoes, I have to go for those in G fittings (often these are on models I DO NOT like.). The exception is EG. My size is UK size 8.5F in the 202 and 606 lasts. They are somewhere between other makers' F & G fitting. And EG does produce most of their models in F fitting. I am hoping that C&J will soon be making their Handgrades in G fitting. I have been lusting after their brown Weymouth for sometime now.... *Protest* *Protest* *Protest* People like us have "unfairly disadvantaged"
sad.gif

Trilby

Reaction score
At least most manufacturers do a limited range of wide shoes. The options are even more limited for those with narrow feet (other than Alden and AE).

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new styles are out on the website - anybody know what was discontinued besides the Bradley calfskins and Lexington (the lexington might have been killed in the fall)?

(I'm trying to figure what can I expect to see on sale and on ebay)

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1469 newport chili 1558 holbrook dk.brown 1801 stuart blk 1851 stuart brw 1973 chester merlot 2405 garner blk 3458 benton chili 3510 kingsley blk 3560 kingsley chili 3774 stockbridge merlot 4419 glenfield blk 4449 glenfield chili 7104 cannondale blk 7174 cannondale merlot 8257 grayson brw 8621 kirkwood brw 42505 westport dk.brw 43211 hyannis navy 43215 hyannis tan 47212 woodstock blk/mahog 47213 woodstock tan/mahog 48030 ancona blk 48034 ancona brw 48070 milano blk 48074 milano brw 48840 key largo dk.brw 49080 siena blk But don't miss what, quite possibly, is the ugliest 'new' shoe I have ever seen added to a line...
slayon9bs.jpg

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's an ill wind. I have a great weakness for A-E's in chili and have been fancying the Benton and the Kingsley in chili. This means that I'll probably be able to pick them up on the cheap at the outlet in Cabazon when they have their semi-annual sale. Might also spring for the Stockbridge in Merlot if the price is low enough.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw those shoes.  Not very impressed.  For some reason it screams "cemented" at me, even though I'm fairly certain it is the same construction standard.  I think it's the flat, almost "duck-billed" toe style.  Soon to be extinct like those duck-billed dinosaurs due low sales.

And what's with the weirdly perforated whole-cuts?  They've got another one, with perforations going up the length of the shoe in a straight line, when they could have simply came out with a nice medallion toe wholecut.  

At least they added a brown wing-tip to their line.  No medallion on the wing-tip, though.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just checked out the A-E website and was also very underwhelmed with the new styles. The only one I found appealing was the new brown wingtip, the Birmingham. The perforated wholecut called the Hastings was particularly bad. Oh well, I probably have enough A-E's along with a few other decent shoes to see me through the rest of my life.

RIDER

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, I think they did a good job with this pattern:
foley5eh.jpg
And like the new drivers as well... Next season they are doing a medallion. Picture the Park Ave. with a medallion - only problem is they put a punched cap like on the Troy behind the medallion
huh.gif
. Also have a monkstrap for Spring with a floating medallion that looks good. The medallions a little goofy, but still a good pattern.

bryce330

Reaction score
But don't miss what, quite possibly, is the ugliest 'new' shoe I have ever seen added to a line...
slayon9bs.jpg
I don't think these are bad at all - I wouldn't go out and buy a pair but I would definitely wear these before I would wear tasseled loafers or clunky square-toe Kenneth Coles.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I have a pair of Lexingtons, which I quite like, and I like their new semi-brogue model that replaced it even more. That said, they really are turning out some unpleasant looking models. Perhaps a new design team would be in order at AE.

spatten

Reaction score
I am sadly disappointed in the new spring line. I had budgeted to buy a new pair or two each season - but I wouldn't pay half price for any of the new shoes.

I'm surpised they killed the Garner (Black Plain Toe Monk) - guess I am glad I got mine.

Funny thing is I check this site daily now awaiting information of the new shipment from Bennies. Hope that comes through.

Scott

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hideous. I have a visceral reaction to these shoes. Honestly, what does it really take to design a good, classic shoe? Just buy one pair of C&J Weymouths and copy them exactly, or as closely as possible given any differences in construction methods. I never thought I'd say this, but compared to the new AEs, the old ones look positively elegant.

Edit to add: I note that they are proud enough of their 'Hastings' monstrosity to put it on the front page of their site. At best, it recalls an extremely bad bowling or athletic shoe of some kind; at worst, well, I try not to use words like that on here - my grandmother sometimes checks up on the site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads